Lasseter Taking Leave of Absence

celluloid

I'm sure that's big part of it. If he lacked the judgement not to get in front of a publicity camera in this condition, his judgement tank is empty:

I have not been a fan of the guy's creativity at times and am not defending anything he has done but I think one can see that video was altered as in slowed down.(maybe you knew and I am not reading the sarcasm) Speed up the settings to 1.25 the speed on Youtube and you will get a better idea of how the promo video is supposed to look. EDIT: Disregard, the guy actually puts it in the description but not on the video. Now I see your sarcasm.

Also, I believe in forgiveness, but keeping your job, role, or status is not mutually exclusive to forgiveness. He needs to go. If this was some guy who was an Ops manager at the theme parks or an attraction he would be gone likely over just that many accusations. For him to return to a position similar or same in six months would be so disgusting.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
At work? Between opposite sexes? I've traveled a ton from Europe to Australia to Asia for both business and pleasure and Ive never been anyplace where.it was proper to touch, hug or/and kiss people you were unfamiliar with, or do so in a work setting. Especially not with a senior executive.

Ironically the touchy-ist strangers I've known have always been from California. "hi, here is my friend joe.." and they straight up go right for the hug... when I barely know them... and they don't know 'joe' at all. I learned to keep an amble distance during introductions :)

Stevek

At work? Between opposite sexes? I've traveled a ton from Europe to Australia to Asia for both business and pleasure and Ive never been anyplace where.it was proper to touch, hug or/and kiss people you were unfamiliar with, or do so in a work setting. Especially not with a senior executive.
I once had the office manager, young and attractive, come up and give me a kiss on the mouth. Just a peck but I had known her for years and for some reason I didn't take it as anything suggestive or as a come on. Nothing ever happened after that, our friendship/relationship remained the same.

That being said, I can absolutely see how someone regardless of the sex that initiated it, would take offense to it.

D

Deleted member 107043

There is always a way to address the problem. Whether the complaint will be taken seriously is another thing.

Sure, but it sounds like Pixar has a straight male dominant culture in place that doesn’t have a process in place to deal with sexual harassment complaints against high profile male executives. On top of that John Lasseter has a cult following both inside and outside of Disney that has helped enable inappropriate behavior.

Pixieish

Sure, but it sounds like Pixar has a straight male dominant culture in place that doesn’t have a process in place to deal with sexual harassment complaints against high profile male executives. On top of that John Lasseter has a cult following both inside and outside of Disney that has helped enable inappropriate behavior.

If what has been reported on these forums is true, there's already a trespass order in place if he sets foot on corporate property.

Stevek

Which, if true, I find absolutely incomprehensible. How does any major company, much less a Disney division, not have stringent anti-harassment policies and procedures?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Add "White" to "straight male dominant." Rashida Jones' correction on the record wasn't that she was sexually harassed, but that creative differences highlighted that women and people of color are regularly dismissed in Pixar's corporate culture.

Hopefully, Disney can instill some of LucasFilm's corporate culture into Pixar.

D

Deleted member 107043

Which, if true, I find absolutely incomprehensible. How does any major company, much less a Disney division, not have stringent anti-harassment policies and procedures?

Well there are likely standard processes, but the culture at Pixar may make it very difficult for accusers to feel confident that their complaints will be heard and acted upon. It’s very concerning that Lasseter would still be at Pixar “being John” sexuality harassing and assaulting people if it had not been for Vanity Fair’s reporting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew_Ryan

Do a google search for "Why are women afraid to speak out?" and you will see how this is goes way beyond a simple HR procedure. And keep in mind the power structure that exists between the CCO/founder of the company and the artists that worked under him.

Darkbeer1

Very Interesting article in today's LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-pixar-lasseter-fallout-20171123-story.html]]

>>John Lasseter’s decision to leave Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios for six months following complaints of inappropriate interactions with employees has stunned the animation community and raised questions about the fallout for Disney’s signature animation business.

The computer animation visionary on Tuesday apologized to staff for unwanted hugs and any gestures that employees “felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form,” adding that he looks forward “to working together again in the new year.”

Industry analysts and experts in the animation community said Lasseter’s absence could be a significant blow to the studio if his departure becomes permanent because the executive has been such a key figure in its success. Lasseter is the chief creative officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios.<<

>>While Lasseter’s shoes would be hard to fill, animation analysts say there is a strong roster of respected internal candidates who could step into the job. They credit Lasseter and Ed Catmull, who is president of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, for fostering a deep bullpen of talented filmmakers who could succeed Lasseter, who is 60.

Among possible contenders to fill Lasseter's seat are Pete Docter (“Inside Out”), Andrew Stanton (“Wall-E”) and Brad Bird (“The Incredibles”) — all of whom have directed successful Pixar movies. The company could choose to appoint a woman to take over for Lasseter. One name mentioned in animation circles is Darla K. Anderson, a Pixar veteran who produced "Coco."<<

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!

EPCOTCenterLover

Just because we forgive doesn't mean 1- The offender is allowed to be part of our life- especially in extreme offenses like sexual abuse, and 2- They don't have to live with the consequences of their actions, if nothing else, the memory of doing something wrong.

DisneyDoctor

Very Interesting article in today's LA Times.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-pixar-lasseter-fallout-20171123-story.html]]

>>John Lasseter’s decision to leave Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios for six months following complaints of inappropriate interactions with employees has stunned the animation community and raised questions about the fallout for Disney’s signature animation business.

The computer animation visionary on Tuesday apologized to staff for unwanted hugs and any gestures that employees “felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form,” adding that he looks forward “to working together again in the new year.”

Industry analysts and experts in the animation community said Lasseter’s absence could be a significant blow to the studio if his departure becomes permanent because the executive has been such a key figure in its success. Lasseter is the chief creative officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios.<<

>>While Lasseter’s shoes would be hard to fill, animation analysts say there is a strong roster of respected internal candidates who could step into the job. They credit Lasseter and Ed Catmull, who is president of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, for fostering a deep bullpen of talented filmmakers who could succeed Lasseter, who is 60.

Among possible contenders to fill Lasseter's seat are Pete Docter (“Inside Out”), Andrew Stanton (“Wall-E”) and Brad Bird (“The Incredibles”) — all of whom have directed successful Pixar movies. The company could choose to appoint a woman to take over for Lasseter. One name mentioned in animation circles is Darla K. Anderson, a Pixar veteran who produced "Coco."<<

Happy Thanksgiving to All!!!
+1 for Pete Docter. That acceptance speech for Inside Out was moving. Obviously very talented and seems like one heck of a person. I'd be all for that.

DLR92

I am totally shock of John Lasseter behavior. He doesn't look like a guy who would do such acts. :eek:

But it seems like Disney getting karma...

DisneyDoctor

Ever since LA times published an article of Disney "unfair" business and Anaheim relationship. Disney made a petty act of blocking LA Times of invitation reviewing movies, resulting a backlash with many other publishing companies. Now this pops up-doesn't exactly look good for Disney...
Ohhhh that's right! Wow, you're right this will definitely add fuel to the fire for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom