Lasseter Taking Leave of Absence

Darkbeer1

Let see, publically known are multiple ESPN employees who have gone on the record. My reporting history goes back to the Eisner era, where many CM's talked to me off the record in how the company culture was change from caring about the CM's, to treating them more like hired help.

Ask any of the old school Disneyland retirees that do appearances the question, and they will tell you about the shift over the last few decades, all going to less caring about CM's. I also think the CM Unions are now making the Employer/Employee relationship more toxic, as the Unions need to have a "bad guy" to promote Union Solidarity.

I have talked to many Knott's employees that left Disney and stated they were treated much better by Cedar Fair, and happy they made the switch. Some still work for both, especially those in the performance roles. To a tee, for example the Christmas Choir Singers work at both, and they love the freedom to perform at Knott's and match the songs to the group listening as compare to Disney's requirements of doing the exact scripted show, for the exact minutes allowed, no matter what.

Talk to Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies where they prefer to work, and everyone of them don't miss Disney in the slightest, and their fans also enjoy their shows more now at Knott's.

Basically Knott's management actually listen to their employees and use some of their ideas to improve the park. Disney CM comment's fall on deaf ears, basically do exactly what I tell you and don't talk back. It starts at the top level of Management, and everyone has to follow the lead.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

This is genuine and not sarcastic, I'm curious. What experiences do you have with Disney to suggest that they don't care about the employees?

I come from a family who’s worked for Disney over the span of 30+ years, myself included. I have friends who’ve worked/still work for Disney. I worked in entertainment for a bit and met people who came from Disney, including my supervisor at the time. Everyone said the same thing.

I worked for Universal after Disney and if they didn’t truly care about their employees either, it was hard to tell. I felt much more respected as a Universal employee. I currently don’t work for either company anymore, and don’t plan to ever again, but if I had to go back to one, Universal would be my first, second, and third choice, undoubtedly.

Darkbeer1

Wow, must be really bad.

A quick web search brings this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...f-Staff-reveal-s-REALLY-like-work-Disney.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324098/Work-Disney-Id-fight-Taliban-Afghanistan.html

>>But life in Disney’s Magical Kingdom is not so magical, according to a survey of the best U.S. companies to work for.

Disney ranked 41st in the list, dozens of places below the army, where soldiers on deployment to Afghanistan face the daily threat of death from roadside bombs and Taliban snipers.

All four branches of the military ranked higher than Disney, which employs more than 100,000 worldwide in theme parks including those in Florida, California and Paris.

Disgruntled Disney workers have dubbed the parks ‘Mousewitz’ because they were so unhappy with working conditions.<<

This one really is awful.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...-off-employees-to-train-low-paid-replacements

>>While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

“I just couldn’t believe they could fly people in to sit at our desks and take over our jobs exactly,” said one former worker, an American in his 40s who remains unemployed since his last day at Disney on Jan. 30. “It was so humiliating to train somebody else to take over your job. I still can’t grasp it.”<<

http://www.dailywire.com/news/10904/espn-admits-they-mistreat-conservatives-and-its-ben-shapiro

disneylandcm

The pay at Disneyland is very low and the park schedules us with a Disney-first attitude. The performance expectations are very high for what they pay. That said, I have always felt appreciated at Disneyland and when I have had health or family issues I was accommodated with compassion. I left the company for Knott’s because I heard good things. I had trouble getting adequate hours during their extended days of summer. They do not offer trainers extra pay (unlike DL) their lead rate is 50% lower and I was told they do not give employees full time. Performance expectations in my area were considerably lower but I worked at Disney levels. Our pockets were sewn shut because they suspected us all of theft. Only after I quit and returned to Disneyland, where I can get full time status and excellent benefits, did I discover how much they appreciated my work.

Disneyland welcomed me back and all of my prior managers have been excited to see me, though I don’t work directly with them. That has been my experience.

Last edited:

180º

Working in Disney theme parks can be very rewarding and enjoyable. It can also be stressful and sometimes downright depressing. Often times the good outweighs the bad.

That said, did I ever, even when I loved the job, get the impression that Disney cared about me? Not in the least. My coworkers cared about me, sure. The company did not. While this is true of many employers, the disturbing part of it is the constant emotional manipulation Disney leverages from its brand to inspire its underpaid, disposable employees to perform so highly. The glimmering propaganda with which cast members are encouraged to uphold mythic standards is in bleak counterpoint to the company’s total apathy for its employees.

That is the worst of it. Like I said, there are good things too. And if you can healthily sort through and accept that the company doesn’t care about you, you can still enjoy the job in other ways.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think the protection was in more of the company’s interest than the women’s.

Honestly what difference does it make? Either way it says that someone high-up at Disney was aware of his behavior and took action to curb it.

D

Deleted member 107043

Customer facing high traffic jobs generally suck, so I'm kind of curious to know what people expect it to be like working in a Disney park when they apply. I'm thinking it's better than the local carnival or a McDonald's but no where near as nice as working for one of the company's studios or at one of the media outlets. I've thought about working for Disney Parks before (even applied for position recently on a whim), but I doubt I would last long.

mickEblu

Customer facing high traffic jobs generally suck, so I'm kind of curious to know what people expect it to be like working in a Disney park when they apply. I'm thinking it's better than the local carnival or a McDonald's but no where near as nice as working for one of the company's studios or at one of the media outlets. I've thought about working for Disney Parks before (even applied for position recently on a whim), but I doubt I would last long.

I Kind of wish I worked at the parks when I was younger and could afford getting paid minimum wage and maybe work my way up in the industry. But no - somehow parents, family and teachers had me believe that a 4 year university was the only next step after high school. Now when things get stressful at work and i day dream about working the churro cart near the Haunted Mansion, I realize it’s just that. A day dream. Oh well.

D

Deleted member 107043

I Kind of wish I worked at the parks when I was younger and could afford getting paid minimum wage and maybe work my way up in the industry. But no - somehow parents, family and teachers had me believe that a 4 year university was the only next step after high school. Now when things get stressful at work and i day dream about working the churro cart near the Haunted Mansion, I realize it’s just that. A day dream. Oh well.

You do that too? I dream of retiring and being a bartender at the Carthay Lounge lol.

TROR

I think Bob Chapek has more vision that Bob Iger and John Lasseter. My evidence is that the latter two wear glasses. However, it's possible Chapek has contacts, in which case I take back my assertion.
How can Bob Chapek have any vision? He doesn't even have eyes!

688619598_guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom