Largest test to date of MyMagic+ will use all features including guest use of the MagicBand

muteki

It should be possible to check return times using kiosks but it doesn't seem like there will be many of these.

From what I have seen, I think they have greatly underestimated how many of these they will need. If they are still sticking to the 2-3 clusters of kiosks spread around MK I suspect that those areas will be a madhouse.

ParentsOf4

From what I have seen, I think they have greatly underestimated how many of these they will need. If they are still sticking to the 2-3 clusters of kiosks spread around MK I suspect that those areas will be a madhouse.
Without a smart phone, it does seem like it will be a pain to remember what FP+ experiences you booked 60 days before.

It would be good if My Disney Experience has a printer friendly option to print all ADRs, FP+ experiences, etc. on a single piece of paper.

Jeffxz

Has anyone here heard of a MyMagic+ expierience called "Personal Magic"? I don't really know what it is yet, but here is what I know:
  • It was part of the project at one time, but I don't currently know if it is still planned
  • "Personal Magic" is the internal name and may not be the final name
  • It will only be available to WDW Resort Guests who are annual passholders
  • There is an additional charge for this
  • Other members of your group can be included in the expierience
I'm still digging and will update when I find more info.

Prock3

It should be possible to check return times using kiosks but it doesn't seem like there will be many of these.

Perhaps CMs stationed at the front of FP+ lines will be able to scan RF devices and tell return times for all FP+ experiences.
It does work like this, if you arrive early the system tells the cm what time you should be back, if you go to the wrong attraction the system tells the cm where you should be

asianway

These 2 responses outline my main problem with Fastpass+.

What @articos describes is the ideal situation, a family does their research, identifies everything they want to do and they are willing to be ready at that 180 day mark for ADR's and that 60 day mark for FP+ to make all their plans so their vacation works out perfectly.

What @ParentsOf4 describes is more of the reality I have seen by helping friends and family plan disney vacations. In my limited personal expieience, these sort of questions never pop up. Now, my social circle consists mostly of mid-middle class families, so maybe this isn't the demographic that Disney is going for but never has someone started a conversation by asking what is the best way to get an ADR for Le Cellier. I have tried to explain the current Fastpass system, but most seem uninterested. Those that try to understand it, still aren't successful in maximizing its benefits. They simply want to pay for the trip and go. They have no idea about what they want to do or where they want to eat and are way too busy to be on the phone at 7:00am 180 days out to guarantee a restaurant seat.

(I realize the above is from a very limited sample, I have probably personally helped around 10 couples/families plan vacations, maybe Master Yoda or some of the other travel agents could jump in with expierience from a larger sample size.)

This leads me to:

My biggest issue with FP+ as a whole is that I believe it is wishful thinking to expect first time and casual visitors to benefit greatly from this. At the same time this will just make things worse for the regulars. Once implemented, I will guarantee that the regulars fully understand the system and know how to make the most of it. They will suck up all of the FP+ reservations for the main rides and simply skip the lesser rides if they have lines. So it's great that great that a first timer only waited 3 minutes instead of 20 for muppet vision 3d, but then had to wait 120 minutes for RnRC, while the regular used thier FP+ for RnRC and decided to skip muppet vision 3d becuase of a 20 minute wait and just decided to leave the park early for the day. And I can only imagine how upset I would be as a first timer realizing I wasted a FP+ on one of the lesser rides. I could easily see a first time family watching a promo DVD and thinking that The Legend of Jack Sparrow looks like the coolest thing in the world and saying, "We should get a FP+ for that!", then how disappointing it will be when they actually go and see it. I feel for the Guest Relations CM's that are going to deal with these headaches.
Guest relations as well as the NextGen blue and green shirt people(whatever their titles are) have ramped up staffing as a result, and of course, none of that labor was budgeted. Just part of the ballooning cost.

Prock3

A front-line hourly CM wearing a polyester uniform and staffing the concierge lounge won't have any insider information on MyMagic+.

As I understand it, they are still "testing" the system and haven't told the front-line CM's and park managers much more than they've announced to the media via sites like this one. And the 3 Fastpasses Per Day rule they were so adamant about was likely info gleaned from a fan website like this one, as that is the setup they've got going currently with these latest MyMagic+ tests.

A CM staffing a concierge lounge is there to smile, tell you that the daily three o'clock parade is at three o'clock today, keep the coffee urns full and the daily newspapers folded on the rack, and clean up the mess the kiddies made on the sofa with the potato chips. I wouldn't trust them with any "insider" information beyond that.
That being said, Attractions CM's do know more about MyMagic+ than you think.

tirian

Does anyone know how the first day of testing went? The rumor is that many Fastpass lines swoll to nearly the same lengths as Standby, but I can't confirm this firsthand.

Mr Bill

That being said, Attractions CM's do know more about MyMagic+ than you think.
As they should, considering they're the ones manning the FP distribution machines and working at the FP return and merge points.

Does anyone know how the first day of testing went? The rumor is that many Fastpass lines swoll to nearly the same lengths as Standby, but I can't confirm this firsthand.

Given the size of the test and the limited number of FP+ being used, I have my doubts about that. It's possible that FP lines backed up for other reasons such as a ride being down for a while, but I doubt any large backups were FP+ related.

tirian

As they should, considering they're the ones manning the FP distribution machines and working at the FP return and merge points.

Given the size of the test and the limited number of FP+ being used, I have my doubts about that. It's possible that FP lines backed up for other reasons such as a ride being down for a while, but I doubt any large backups were FP+ related.

Yes, it was only about 4,000 bands. The rumor seemed too exaggerated to be true.

PurplePizza1

I've heard now from two WDW friends that people other than those in the resorts mentioned may be able to get the FP+ bands for next week's trial run. Anyone heard that? If that's the case, do you simply ask at the desk when you check into your resort?

muteki

Will people staying at a non WDW resort be able to get the magic bands when the time comes that's its public?

Presumably, we don't know for sure. I don't think they will want to keep that many people from purchasing all the customization merch to go along with it.

I don't think the bands will be free for off-property guests...but I think anyone can get one if they wanted.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I've wondered the same thing - I'm sure I'm not the only person who has a dumb phone.

Around the crowd I hang out (baseball fields) with, work with, and dine with... Nearly 100% use a smart phone. Having said that, many of the people, coaches, etc. that I do peer with are very mixed ages, 24-60, are high income, >$100k and I would expect are Disney's target audience because they usually have two or more children and range in ages from 4 to 21.

jaklgreen

Around the crowd I hang out (baseball fields) with, work with, and dine with... Nearly 100% use a smart phone. Having said that, many of the people, coaches, etc. that I do peer with are very mixed ages, 24-60, are high income, >$100k and I would expect are Disney's target audience because they usually have two or more children and range in ages from 4 to 21.

I have a smart phone but my hubby does not, not because we can not afford it but because he is too cheap to want to pay for it. He does not need it for work and he has access to a computer at home and at work if he needs it so does not see the point. While I love all of the new technology my genius hubby(who is a computer programmer) does not want to "bother" with it so he hates the phone apps that people use at WDW. Mostly because everyone is looking at their phone and not where they are going. Plus it seems like everyone has their own phone and are playing games instead of conversing with their kids and family like a family vacation should be.(I have told him not everyone likes their family lol). I love the new RFID for getting into the park. It is much much faster(I did notice that some people where still confused by it) It is easy, hold your card(or bracelet) in your left hand put it up to the Mickey icon and put your right finger on the scanner at the same time and it works really fast. What slows it down is if you do it one at a time(scan card with right hand then switch the card to your left and then scan right finger) We saw people do this and it takes twice as long. The only thing that bothers me is the fastpass issue, I wan to get my fastpass when I get there and see which line is the longest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom