Landscaping Downgrades at WDW

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I have some before and after photos of POFQ that disagree.
I’m not saying my memory is perfect, but yeah. There were actual flowers in the flower beds that’s for sure!

As usual it’s a huge shock coming from Disneyland where they have Disney level landscaping all around the parks including several rose gardens.

James Alucobond

As usual it’s a huge shock coming from Disneyland where they have Disney level landscaping all around the parks including several rose gardens.
You understand that Disneyland doesn't experience the same seasonal extremes as Disney World, right? I get what you're saying when you're talking about missing hanging baskets or nixed floral murals or untended sod, but putting Coleus in a planter where you might have flowering plants during milder months does not constitute a "downgrade" to me, assuming it is still being maintained and not allowed to go wild. It is a seasonally appropriate decision.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
but putting Coleus in a planter where you might have flowering plants during milder months does not constitute a "downgrade" to me, assuming it is still being maintained and not allowed to go wild.
For the most part it’s very well maintained (the planters by the beauty and the beast theatre look terrible but that’s not the norm) - and it looks very nice.

I’ve finally seen a few sections of flowers at the Grand and Wilderness Lodge, still cut back but at least they have a few!

cranbiz

Also, why is the Autopia at WDW still not electric? How about they invest in expanding the monorail, which runs on electricity instead of the gas powered bus fleet?
Agreed on electrifying Autotopia.

Agreed on monorail expansion.

WDW buses run on biodiesel, not gasoline. They did try electrified buses. These were limited to the Fort because they were too tall to fit under the monorail beam at MK. The ones they had were not as reliable as the diesel fleet nor did they have the range to travel all day and night all over the resort. The biggest issue is mass charging capacity. WDW had over 300 buses parked at night in multiple locations. When I was a CM, you parked buses at one of several locations. FIW, TTC, EPCOT, DAK and DTD. A small number were at VM South but those were the ones being rotated back after maintenance.

Where do you place the charging infrastructure? Currently all buses go to FIW at the end of the day where they get fueled, inspected, cleaned and washed. They then get disbursed to the overnight staging locations. You cannot possibly charge all of them with the current charging technology at FIW in 5 minutes like the current fuel infrastructure can refuel a bus.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back if they can get the range, charging ability and height down to match the current fleet. Until then, they will not be mass adopted for bus replacement.

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Want to see the real downgrade? check out the out of print books, Gardens of Walt Disney World, and Secrets of Disney's Glorious Gardens....would make your head swim compared to now. It's sad to see really.
I have Secrets… but I know those pictures are lies, there have been no downgrades! ;)

OceanBlue

The thing I noticed was long, uneven grass on the Oasis pool side of resort view rooms and walking paths at the Polynesian in August. It's turf grass and it was overdue. My husband even noticed and said that's weird they haven't mowed.

CntrlFlPete

When I was a youngin (early years of the Magic Kingdom), I was always excited to see the Topiaries along the monorail line. That never developed into any knowledge around Horticulture though.

I was recently thinking about some reasons I do not seem to like F&G as I once did. I believe it is mainly due to the lack of change, there just seems to be a lot of displays that are the same each year. I was looking back at some pictures to get an idea of what it was about the topiaries themselves that didn't match my memories.

I do not know if the newer faces and details (eyes, eyebrows, smiles....) are 'organic' but the pics I looked at from '09 looked like plant life, these days it just looks different from what I recall. I do not blame them from change, it just doesn't seem as magical to me as it once did.

2009:

tp09s.jpg

tp23s.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
Here’s some current landscaping at port orleans. But remember, there have been no downgrades ;)

Attachments

• 0B70E8FF-E387-466F-AD2B-B48A5E6453D2.jpeg
    0B70E8FF-E387-466F-AD2B-B48A5E6453D2.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 132
  • AA6DD214-AC5E-4075-8ED4-B251BB12D1B7.jpeg
    AA6DD214-AC5E-4075-8ED4-B251BB12D1B7.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 130

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
I re-read the thread, and there’s pretty much no one claiming that there are absolutely no downgrades, particularly as it pertains to some of the resorts.
There have been some that claim there have been no downgrades since Covid.
They’re just pointing out that not everything you refer to as a downgrade is actually a downgrade.
Well it’s obviously a budget cut. It’s cheaper to have less flowers. Some people may like the bushes better, but it’s a budget cut either way.

When they replaced off-kilter with the Canadian contemporary circus, I much preferred the circus, but also knew it was a budget cut and ultimately a negative direction for the parks to go since the point was letting go full time equity talent.

So budget cuts are budget cuts, but some may prefer them, or not care.

Either way the photo I just posted should not be acceptable.

James Alucobond

Well it’s obviously a budget cut. It’s cheaper to have less flowers. Some people may like the bushes better, but it’s a budget cut either way.

When they replaced off-kilter with the Canadian contemporary circus, I much preferred the circus, but also knew it was a budget cut and ultimately a negative direction for the parks to go since the point was letting go full time equity talent.

So budget cuts are budget cuts, but some may prefer them, or not care.
In some of these cases, it is not "obviously" a budget cut, which is the problem I have with what you're saying. When you're talking about empty planters, missing hanging baskets, or deferred maintenance, I agree that there is either a problem with budget or staffing. However, in the case of selecting more seasonally appropriate plantings, this may just be a decision by the horticulture department to remedy problems they've encountered previously with overly delicate flowers getting scorched in the sun, which they've found forces them to waste excessive water and other materials. That's planting more responsibly and sustainably, not adjusting your practices and downgrading the product in the face of a mandated budget cut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom