Landscaping Downgrades at WDW

Summer in Florida is not flower season
Yea it’s all getting to be difficult. As I stated previously with my post about poinsettias Disney has produced fantastic displays in the past that go against season and conservation implications. Haven’t heard anything but possibly with the changes they are making particularly with the Moana water features they are exploring ways to conserve and repurpose water.

drizgirl

Yea it’s all getting to be difficult. As I stated previously with my post about poinsettias Disney has produced fantastic displays in the past that go against season and conservation implications. Haven’t heard anything but possibly with the changes they are making particularly with the Moana water features they are exploring ways to conserve and repurpose water.
Unfortunately for Disney a fair number of guests are now exploring ways to conserve and repurpose their vacation dollars.

Disone

I honestly don’t get this impression much at all, though I do tend to go during the Arts or F&G seasons, which may dull my sensitivity to it. Over the years, there have been changes that I’ve liked more and changes I’ve liked less, but they always look cared for and generally just reflect changing sensibilities to my eye. For instance, I very much like the new trees and topiaries they added to the PeopleMover and CoP area of Tomorrowland fairly recently.
Interesting. You have not noticed outside of Epcot, the complete depopulation of topiaries on property?

Where is the serpent that used to be in the central hub mk? Moved else where or just gone?

1000006113.png

The swans at the Grand Floridian ?

The highly manicured trees of the Contemporary?

Did you know there used to be topiaries just randomly placed around the property? There's a great article on All Ears in that regard with a few pictures of driving or riding the bus in between two destinations within Walt Disney World and there's a topiary on the side of the road.

Where did they go? Where are they now? It started Decades ago with the roadside topiaries. "Why is it there" said someone, "how much money can we save by removing and who will notice if we do?"

They are removed. Almost no one notices and the manager working that year is very proud to share the financial results at their year end review.

Some time goes by, perhaps a few years, and they're looking to save a little money again. Someone suggests that maybe this particular resort doesn't need this many topiaries. And so it gets reduced. No one ever says "hey we already saved money on temporaries when we cut them out of the roadways".
They say how do we save even more now. And hence the cut at the resort is made. Only a few of the repeat guests of that resort notice and even fewer mention it. A manager at that resort is very excited to share during their year end review how they saved money without impacting the guest experience.

A few more years pass and now there's just one topiary left at this resort. Occupancy is a little low at this time and so they're looking to save a little money.

No one says " hey we already cut them from the roadways and this resort used to have lots of topiaries but now we have just one." Now a justification must be found.

Maybe its Topiaries are for the park. People aren't spending money at x resort to look at the topiary, they're spending money here to spend the night.

What ever the found reasoning they now they have no topiaries.

A few more years go by and once again they're looking to save a little bit of money. No one says "we've already cut most of them from the resorts". No one says " we've already cut them from the other areas around the resort..." So now they need to find a justification.

No one's coming to the park for the topiarys they're coming for the world class attractions they tell themselves. They're not going to notice. Besides, it's going to make the Epcot Flower and Garden festival even more special with all the seasonal topiaries on display (which most are fake now.)

Now the WDW is moving a few topiary around the resorts "as needed"

For example......
Interestingly, they’ve added the topiary that used to sit in front of MK for the 50th to the courtyard in front of the Yacht Club. It sat in front of the International gateway for a while as well, but it is now at the Yacht Club. The Lady and the Tramp topiary is at the Boardwalk’s main courtyard area.

View attachment 743164
Also super recently the Minnie mouse was in front of the 1929 Cadillac of the Grand Floridian. And as already noted before being here together they were over at the international gateway. In all likelihood next time one comes to this courtyard, it will not feature these topiaries as they will be loan somewhere else where they are needed.

Why?

Because most people will not notice, it will absolutely save money, and when they do notice they notice it will be in the same positive light that you have experienced and expressed here. Disney as successfully pulled it off. They have absolutely cut the topiaries, they have absolutely cut the manicured gardens, and a quick google search really could confirm this but instead almost no one has noticed.

Same thing (was/is??) happening with Christmas decor.

I will say imo both studios and DAK have definitely plus there holiday decor package vs. A decade or so ago. But dreams lights are gone and I for one think they aren't coming back. The resort decor at the resorts themselves is a fraction of what it used to be. And there are literally people on this forum that are explaining that projections are actually more expensive and are an upgrade from the dream lights. Doubtful Disney would choose to go with a more expensive package even though the feedback is bring dream lights back? They went with projections because on a spreadsheet somewhere they are much more versatile and cheaper. And since they're used to year around it's no longer just a holiday expense but rather an expense spread out to the holidays, to special events, and to regular park operations.

peter11435

Interesting. You have not noticed outside of Epcot, the complete depopulation of topiaries on property?

Where is the serpent that used to be in the central hub mk? Moved else where or just gone?

View attachment 754767

The swans at the Grand Floridian ?

The highly manicured trees of the Contemporary?

Did you know there used to be topiaries just randomly placed around the property? There's a great article on All Ears in that regard with a few pictures of driving or riding the bus in between two destinations within Walt Disney World and there's a topiary on the side of the road.

Where did they go? Where are they now? It started Decades ago with the roadside topiaries. "Why is it there" said someone, "how much money can we save by removing and who will notice if we do?"

They are removed. Almost no one notices and the manager working that year is very proud to share the financial results at their year end review.

Some time goes by, perhaps a few years, and they're looking to save a little money again. Someone suggests that maybe this particular resort doesn't need this many topiaries. And so it gets reduced. No one ever says "hey we already saved money on temporaries when we cut them out of the roadways".
They say how do we save even more now. And hence the cut at the resort is made. Only a few of the repeat guests of that resort notice and even fewer mention it. A manager at that resort is very excited to share during their year end review how they saved money without impacting the guest experience.

A few more years pass and now there's just one topiary left at this resort. Occupancy is a little low at this time and so they're looking to save a little money.

No one says " hey we already cut them from the roadways and this resort used to have lots of topiaries but now we have just one." Now a justification must be found.

Maybe its Topiaries are for the park. People aren't spending money at x resort to look at the topiary, they're spending money here to spend the night.

What ever the found reasoning they now they have no topiaries.

A few more years go by and once again they're looking to save a little bit of money. No one says "we've already cut most of them from the resorts". No one says " we've already cut them from the other areas around the resort..." So now they need to find a justification.

No one's coming to the park for the topiarys they're coming for the world class attractions they tell themselves. They're not going to notice. Besides, it's going to make the Epcot Flower and Garden festival even more special with all the seasonal topiaries on display (which most are fake now.)

Now the WDW is moving a few topiary around the resorts "as needed"

For example......

Also super recently the Minnie mouse was in front of the 1929 Cadillac of the Grand Floridian. And as already noted before being here together they were over at the international gateway. In all likelihood next time one comes to this courtyard, it will not feature these topiaries as they will be loan somewhere else where they are needed.

Why?

Because most people will not notice, it will absolutely save money, and when they do notice they notice it will be in the same positive light that you have experienced and expressed here. Disney as successfully pulled it off. They have absolutely cut the topiaries, they have absolutely cut the manicured gardens, and a quick google search really could confirm this but instead almost no one has noticed.

Same thing (was/is??) happening with Christmas decor.

I will say imo both studios and DAK have definitely plus there holiday decor package vs. A decade or so ago. But dreams lights are gone and I for one think they aren't coming back. The resort decor at the resorts themselves is a fraction of what it used to be. And there are literally people on this forum that are explaining that projections are actually more expensive and are an upgrade from the dream lights. Doubtful Disney would choose to go with a more expensive package even though the feedback is bring dream lights back? They went with projections because on a spreadsheet somewhere they are much more versatile and cheaper. And since they're used to year around it's no longer just a holiday expense but rather an expense spread out to the holidays, to special events, and to regular park operations.
The serpent is still there

DisneyFanatic12

The serpent is still there to the best of my knowledge. I’m not going to MK for at least a few days, but if you look on Google Maps that one is still in its place.
IMG_4265.jpeg

(Just wanted to point that out because it is a pretty cool topiary and might be hard to see when walking over the bridge, but nice nonetheless)

Disone

The serpent is still there to the best of my knowledge. I’m not going to MK for at least a few days, but if you look on Google Maps that one is still in its place.
View attachment 754770
(Just wanted to point that out because it is a pretty cool topiary and might be hard to see when walking over the bridge, but nice nonetheless)
Thanks! To all really!

I appreciate being wrong on the serpent topiary

MerlinTheGoat

Google Maps isn't always current, on my end they are still using several year old imagery (Tron is still being built). However, the serpent topiary was still present around 6 months ago regardless. Probably still there today.

John park hopper

First vist 1972 and I remember driving in the main entrance and all the topiary characters along the entrance. Thought maybe I was remembering wrong found a u-tube someone posted n 8mm film on the drive in 1972 and I remembered correctly. On my last visit 2029 I don't remember seeing them

CntrlFlPete

First vist 1972 and I remember driving in the main entrance and all the topiary characters along the entrance. Thought maybe I was remembering wrong found a u-tube someone posted n 8mm film on the drive in 1972 and I remembered correctly. On my last visit 2029 I don't remember seeing them

ok time traveler ;) oh the little things that had such an impact! I still recall the 'magic' from the eyes of youth, the monorail ride seeing the manicured topiaries of characters around the monorail loop....I recall as a child leaving at night (not staying on property) and seeing the Electrical Water Pageant from the monorail. Amazing to still have memories over 50 years old.

The topiaries certainly had an impact on me, much the same an attraction such as the speedway is a unique experience to many children today. They have added small things over the years (cast using trivia games to aid in the perception of 'time waiting', holla hoops before a parade) just as they have taken many away.

Disone

That is exactly what TDO is hoping.... and when you don't notice that, you won't miss other things that made the park special.... and on it goes.....
100% this.

The Disney guest just accepts it because... Disney. Example: I have friends there now experiencing WDW Christmas for the first time and "everything is so amazing". I love them but man are they drinking the juice

But also I was just at Sea World's Christmas Celebration last night with a couple that have worked at Disney for over 40 years. They are thee most Disney type of cast member you could ask for. Old school cast member and a week does not go by that they don't receive a compliment from a guest. Guest come just to see them! And there reaction... "I think this is better they Disney's"

I think so too. And all for regular park admission.

On a side note SeaWorld seems to have changed their fireworks launching facilities to be mostly ground-based launches. But it's extensive and proves once again you don't need to have a massive amount of aerial fireworks to have an impressive amount of fireworks. Fireorks can be impressive with ground-based. (Looking at you DHS)

TrainsOfDisney

Original Poster
They have added small things over the years (cast using trivia games to aid in the perception of 'time waiting', holla hoops before a parade) just as they have taken many away.
Once upon a time Disney was about “plussing” not “well we added some and took some away so it’s ok”

Or am I missing the Walt Disney quote “well we took away the elephants but we added the hippos so guests shouldn’t complain”

Lilofan

100% this.

The Disney guest just accepts it because... Disney. Example: I have friends there now experiencing WDW Christmas for the first time and "everything is so amazing". I love them but man are they drinking the juice

But also I was just at Sea World's Christmas Celebration last night with a couple that have worked at Disney for over 40 years. They are thee most Disney type of cast member you could ask for. Old school cast member and a week does not go by that they don't receive a compliment from a guest. Guest come just to see them! And there reaction... "I think this is better they Disney's"

I think so too. And all for regular park admission.

On a side note SeaWorld seems to have changed their fireworks launching facilities to be mostly ground-based launches. But it's extensive and proves once again you don't need to have a massive amount of aerial fireworks to have an impressive amount of fireworks. Fireorks can be impressive with ground-based. (Looking at you DHS)
The out of this world time was when went to DHS back in the day to experience Osborne Christmas lights on Streets of America. We saw Jennings there with his family . Gone too soon. Landscaping upgrade was the rock band Mulch Sweat and Shears at DHS before that entertainment act ended .

Last edited:

JoeCamel

May your vision of the future not come to fruition.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom