Land Sale November 18

BubbaQuest

So pure speculation here...what if Wet N Wild becomes a new parking garage/transportation center and the existing parking garage becomes a hotel/CityWalk expansion? A bus ride from Wet n Wild wouldn't be any longer than from Cabana Bay.

I know some office buildings were also included in the Wet n Wild purchase. If this includes direct access from the Wet n Wild parking lot to Kirkman Road, it seems like it would be an easy transit route from the parking lot to the 400 acres if the rumors of a Kirkman Rd expansion is included in the new land deal.

Personally, I think they will just treat the 400 acres as a totally separate park. Transit will be included for hotel guests, but for others they will just park at another parking garage at the new park. Can Sand Lake Road handle all this traffic from the freeway?

EngineJoe

So pure speculation here...what if Wet N Wild becomes a new parking garage/transportation center and the existing parking garage becomes a hotel/CityWalk expansion? A bus ride from Wet n Wild wouldn't be any longer than from Cabana Bay.

I know some office buildings were also included in the Wet n Wild purchase. If this includes direct access from the Wet n Wild parking lot to Kirkman Road, it seems like it would be an easy transit route from the parking lot to the 400 acres if the rumors of a Kirkman Rd expansion is included in the new land deal.

Personally, I think they will just treat the 400 acres as a totally separate park. Transit will be included for hotel guests, but for others they will just park at another parking garage at the new park. Can Sand Lake Road handle all this traffic from the freeway?

I think there has to be a parking lot right next to City Walk or else they will lose alot of traffic from people who just want to eat or be entertained at night (as opposed to having visited the parks). The inconvenience of parking at WetnWild lot and then being transported to City Walk is enough for alot of people to forego just eating dinner or seeing a movie at City Walk and going elsewhere instead.

ULPO46

I've had so many questions about this "project" yes this plot of land if purchased is only a few miles out from universal, but it doesn't make sense to build a themepark/ hotels so far way from the main resort. With Disneyland, WDW, and SeaWorld all they did was build across the street or into their parking lots or land they already owned to build a new expansion. Yes I think this is a huge maybe, but if it becomes reality this will be the first time a resort operates so far from it's main area, yes even if it is a mile or two away from the main resort. The biggest problem is the traffic which you may not think it is bad now, but imagine a third gate there, I don't think so. It just doesn't make much sense. This will be rather interesting to see if anything else comes out soon. I've just never heard of anything like this. It will be very interesting for the hospitality industry. I mean you look at Disney and they sold countless square miles of excess land that they bought back in the '60's. I highly doubt Disney would want to expand beyond their borders but it is possible. Seas is at the state it is now and well, you can't blame them. But eventually the fad of Harry Potter will fade mark my words this star wars thing even if the new movie sucks will draw in the potter crowds to Disney.

IAmFloridaBorn

I'm not saying it in a bad way eventually things will cool down and it wont be so popular after all Universal Hollywood is building another Hogsmeade and another in Japan. I know there are clones of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom, but eventually something bigger and better will spark the attention of the next generation. I'm not saying it in a bad way. I love harry potter, I just don't see it being the corner stone for universal 50 years from now. Getting back to my original post, I have certain questions about the "possible" expansion. Traffic may not be so bad now, but how will guest be transported back and forth? No, not monorails but busses WILL get stuck in traffic. I do see a possibility for them to buy the land I mean if the Miami Herald, Orlando Sentinel, and Florida Times Union are all talking about it, it's a huge possibility. Even if the land is used just for hotels, it will be interesting to see what Universal can do. I don't ever see universal topping Disney on the family experience but, I do believe that since 2010 the sleeping giant has become a major competitor for Disney. It's simple economics and data of which the majority is public record.
I have so many issues with this post. I'm just not at a computer to adress them

JT3000

I've had so many questions about this "project" yes this plot of land if purchased is only a few miles out from universal, but it doesn't make sense to build a themepark/ hotels so far way from the main resort. With Disneyland, WDW, and SeaWorld all they did was build across the street or into their parking lots or land they already owned to build a new expansion. Yes I think this is a huge maybe, but if it becomes reality this will be the first time a resort operates so far from it's main area, yes even if it is a mile or two away from the main resort. The biggest problem is the traffic which you may not think it is bad now, but imagine a third gate there, I don't think so. It just doesn't make much sense. This will be rather interesting to see if anything else comes out soon. I've just never heard of anything like this. It will be very interesting for the hospitality industry. I mean you look at Disney and they sold countless square miles of excess land that they bought back in the '60's. I highly doubt Disney would want to expand beyond their borders but it is possible. Seas is at the state it is now and well, you can't blame them. But eventually the fad of Harry Potter will fade mark my words this star wars thing even if the new movie sucks will draw in the potter crowds to Disney.

I fail to see how having parks miles apart on contiguous property and having parks miles apart with other property inbetween are really all that different.Traffic? WDW's buses take so long that you might as well be stuck in traffic waiting for one to come.

Star Wars will draw Potter crowds to Disney? Are you aware that you're allowed to be a fan of more than one thing?

Mikejakester

Long post ahead....

It's not like Disney has all their parks within walking distance of each other... and last time I checked, they are doing just fine. I don't see a big deal building something substantial a mile away.

What ever they built, it has to be unique enough to stand by it self and somehow not cannibalize what they currently have. Which is what AK did back when it opened, mainly because the other 3 parks were basically stagnant,

However, If universal is able to keep IOA and Universal Studios Fresh (which seems like they are) while building perhaps a third park, then they should be fine, because each park will still have their relatively new big hitters.

as of a few a few months ago, Inside info states that Nintendo is currently in design stage of 4-5 rides (3 will go international and 2 will reside in Orlando and they will all be unique) They are scheduled to go in roughly 14-20 acres of land behind Curious George. Timeframe is about 4-5 years. If you think about this, universal will be "fairly new" in the next 5 years. (Diagon Alley, fast and the Furious, Jimmy Fallon, Nintendo, Terminator is supposed to have a face lift too). IOA will have Hulk2.0, Skull Island and Lost Continent is supposed to be themed after Harry Potter at some point (Not sure where that is at in the planning stages). My point being... I don't think there will be cannibalism if they choose to in fact build a third park in 5 years.

It seems Universal is getting ready to compete, which is good. The interesting thing is ... what will the third park be themed after and how would they connect the 2 properties. If I was them, I would try to keep my customers in my property and keep them away any other means of transportation (Disney style). Considering they have a bunch of stuff in between the 2 properties, I can only think of some sort of light rail/monorail in between. Buses just wont cut it in the year 2020. It will be ghetto in the future.

Mikejakester

Vice CFO doubles down on opening at least 1 E-Ticket a year and the street's view on the land purchase. Being #2 is plenty good for the bottom line

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...e-facts-how-universal-can-gain.html?ana=yahoo

I think I read somewhere that Universal had a 400-500 Million dollar budget for new developments EACH year for the next 10 years. If I remember correctly, I think you might have been the one that provided the link somewhere in this forums. I can't find it tho...

JoeCamel

I think I read somewhere that Universal had a 400-500 Million dollar budget for new developments EACH year for the next 10 years. If I remember correctly, I think you might have been the one that provided the link somewhere in this forums. I can't find it tho...

Was not me but that is an accurate figure, if the corporate fortunes keep up we are very lucky theme park fans indeed.

Frankie The Beer

But eventually the fad of Harry Potter will fade mark my words this star wars thing even if the new movie sucks will draw in the potter crowds to Disney.

Can we stop calling Potter a fad? Its a brilliantly designed theme park experience that even if it wasn't Potter based would still be successful. Potter draws people to Universal and Disney World, just as Star Wars will draw people to Disney World and Universal. Clearly one hand is washing the other in Orlando right now and will continue to do so for the time being. Lets just enjoy it while it lasts.

captainmoch

Yeah, Potter is practically this generation's Star Wars at this point. If anything, Fantastic Beasts well continue to reinvigorate interest in the franchise. Calling it a fad when it's still going strong, 8 years after the books have ended and 4 years after the films, is silly.

BubbaQuest

I think I read somewhere that Universal had a 400-500 Million dollar budget for new developments EACH year for the next 10 years... I can't find it tho...

I recently posted that number somewhere else too and then went looking to make sure I didn't make it up. The best I could find was this link, which indicated Uni was doubling their park spending from $500M to $1.1billion(!) for 2013: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/local-6-theme-world-universal-doubles-park-spending. Of course much of that money might have been for things like Beijing or the Japan park buyout, but it's still an amazing amount of money every year! If I remember correctly, Disney is about $250M per quarter, but that includes operating expenses and more parks.

EngineJoe

That's why to me the area above Major blvd (Double Tree hotel, etc) and above vineland (Wingate, IHOP, etc) seems a better place to buy land and open a third gate. There's plenty of land there. If you move/get rid of the Lowes Portofino Bay then that whole Northeast quadrant would be perfect for a 3rd gate spreading out past Major Blvd and up to and beyond Vineland.

EngineJoe

Can we stop calling Potter a fad? Its a brilliantly designed theme park experience that even if it wasn't Potter based would still be successful. Potter draws people to Universal and Disney World, just as Star Wars will draw people to Disney World and Universal. Clearly one hand is washing the other in Orlando right now and will continue to do so for the time being. Lets just enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah, my friend kept saying to me at Universal that Potter was a fad that won't last like "Star Wars". And I was like what are you talking about. JK Rowling could stop writing the books or pass away and someone else would continue to make new Harry Potter stories and movies. It's not going away.

ULPO46

Yeah, my friend kept saying to me at Universal that Potter was a fad that won't last like "Star Wars". And I was like what are you talking about. JK Rowling could stop writing the books or pass away and someone else would continue to make new Harry Potter stories and movies. It's not going away.
I am in no way saying Harry will disappear anytime soon. If anyone is a super fan it's me, I waited in line to buy the books as they came out and waited for midnight premieres. I know that very well. I just know as a fact having a degree in Hospitality on the key focus of parks and resorts, that flows do come and go. This is why Universal Parks and Resorts are investing in other options ala, Kong, Transformers, Despicable Me, and now, could be if this land purchase would mean a third gate, a possible Nintendo Land. I don't believe there is that much support for Universal to build a theme park devoted to Nintendo. They didn't do it with Harry Potter why would do it for Nintendo. Back to the main topic I have is the very possibility that Universal acquires this land. I know people will commute, but no one of the big four (Disney, Merlin, Cedar, Seas) have built properties so far apart from one another. Believe I did the research. Yes build across country, everyone's done it. Build across the street on property already owned, yes done that. But no one has bought land never owned before. Especially 4 miles away from the main resort on, yes believe it or not very heavily used roads. Traffic is bad especially during peak times when people are avoiding I-Drive. I know it sounds crazy but from a logical point of view, it wouldn't make much sense for universal to buy this property. Skyplex and all the other nonsense kind of alludes that they want to buy up the land, but it's rather odd. Long story short, it saddens me to know that this land owned by the Lockheed Martin Co. is being sold. Feel's like it was yesterday rockets where being flown by NASA out of Cape Canaveral and Lockheed was building arms to fight for our freedom out of Orlando. But no more, I guess a win, but shows how Orlando's industry is dying.

s8film40

it saddens me to know that this land owned by the Lockheed Martin Co. is being sold. Feel's like it was yesterday rockets where being flown by NASA out of Cape Canaveral and Lockheed was building arms to fight for our freedom out of Orlando. But no more, I guess a win, but shows how Orlando's industry is dying.
You do know that Universal bought the land from Lockheed Martin a long time ago right?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...al-citywalk-lockheed-martin-universal-orlando

That being said I don't think it's all that sad even though I understand where your coming from. There's a lot going on at the space center with the commercial crew program and various other things and these companies are using space there as it's closer to the actual business. I think it's good to let the tourism business grow and the aerospace industry grow in a location that makes more sense.

JT3000

Lockheed hasn't gone anywhere. They only sold the undeveloped parts of their complex that were formerly used for actual testing. I've always found it amusing that they chose to build the Orlando Eye basically right next to it. Enjoy the visual splendor of Florida... and its ugly missile factories.

There's another complex somewhere in east Orlando that's used for flight simulation.

ULPO46

You do know that Universal bought the land from Lockheed Martin a long time ago right?

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...al-citywalk-lockheed-martin-universal-orlando

That being said I don't think it's all that sad even though I understand where your coming from. There's a lot going on at the space center with the commercial crew program and various other things and these companies are using space there as it's closer to the actual business. I think it's good to let the tourism business grow and the aerospace industry grow in a location that makes more sense.
Yes they bought it back when Vivendi owned Universal, but the land was left underdeveloped as the funds for a project of that scale where not of the interest to the company so they sold them to a company that recently went bankrupt and went back on the market. Just as the article says though, no one in the past has ever attempted to do a project of that scale. I mean it's the stuff of legend we talked about at my time at Rosen School of Hospitality, but we didn't think universal would do it because it defeats the flow of a resort. These things are carefully planned years in advance and normally comprise of the original acreage. I as well as countless other Hospitality experts don't see Universal investing further in Florida. They built up their resort to the point where there isn't enough space. At most even if they did buy just one parcel, I don't see a park, I see more of a hotel/resort being built. They, Universal want to keep the two parks close together, enough that you can walk to it and City Walk and not have to leave 4 miles to get to the main resort center. It will be interesting to see what will happen at SeaWorld.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom