Lame excuse for nightlife?

SirGoofy

May 1, 2009 is the popular choice, the other being September 27, 2009.
May 1 would be the 20th anniversary of PI, and Sept 27 (or would it be 28th?) is the end of the 1 year cruise with Marcel the monkey butler to god knows where. It's also close to the beginning of the new fiscal year.

Honestly...from the kinda sorta whispers I've been hearing, I would expect an announcement on May 1, and then the opening in September.

I haven't really heard anything substantial, so don't take this as great news, but this is just what I get the feeling of.:shrug:

CaptainMichael

Honestly...from the kinda sorta whispers I've been hearing, I would expect an announcement on May 1, and then the opening in September.

I haven't really heard anything substantial, so don't take this as great news, but this is just what I get the feeling of.:shrug:

Makes sense. It would be hard to open May 1st. The end of September is perfect, wouldn't mess up the storyline of the last night, and would coincide with the new fiscal year. Also, the contracts for the performers would be up for renewal.

I hear all kinds of things. I get more and more optimistic each time I hear something. The fact that the liquor license was renewed and it's still intact means alot I think. Also, the AC is the only one that can come back without apologizing. The actors set up a return well with the year long cruise with Marcel.

SirGoofy

Makes sense. It would be hard to open May 1st. The end of September is perfect, wouldn't mess up the storyline of the last night, and would coincide with the new fiscal year. Also, the contracts for the performers would be up for renewal.

I hear all kinds of things. I get more and more optimistic each time I hear something. The fact that the liquor license was renewed and it's still intact means alot I think. Also, the AC is the only one that can come back without apologizing. The actors set up a return well with the year long cruise with Marcel.

Yea, plus the whoel outside vendor thing hasn't turned out too well for them so far.

hardcard

Yea, plus the whoel outside vendor thing hasn't turned out too well for them so far.

We'll see.. remember the original announcement said that it was a '2 year transition'.... They've added the balloon (not really PI, but just a change in DTD in general) and they've got the large restaurant/tequila bar/etc opening..

Lets do a building count.. whats left un claimed in the public eye?

AC
Mann
Comedy Warehouse
Motion
8 Trax

is that it? I would say that it doesn't look good.. they should have more vendors announced by now you'd think.. Like I said before, the AC is such a unique structure, in both decor and construction, that it would not easily suit much else.. So, it's probably re-open or demolish.. Hopefully, it's reopen... And hopefully it won't be september, but sooner..

Having said all that.. Disney should look into providing (MORE?) interactive dining around property.. Dinner theater is popular all over the country, and I would definately try it if it was done with 'disney quality'... Not suggesting a 'Medevil times' type thing.. more of a dinner murder mystery, etc..

SirGoofy

^Good post. One of the main reasons I believe we will see a reopening of the AC is because the building is not adaptable to another use in all reality. Personally I don't see an outside company being too thrilled with having to shell out for demolition and construction. Where as the dance clubs are pretty much wide open spaces inside, and could easily be adapted.

On top of that I think they realized they've ed a lot of people off by closing the club. I know it's not a huge number compared to the number of guests they get each year, but closing the AC is akin to booting Figment out of Imagination. The people who love these characters are passionate about it, and they aren't going to give up until they get satisfaction. Disney may not like admitting to mistakes, but I believe they are ready to swallow their pride on this one.

hardcard

^Good post. One of the main reasons I believe we will see a reopening of the AC is because the building is not adaptable to another use in all reality. Personally I don't see an outside company being too thrilled with having to shell out for demolition and construction. Where as the dance clubs are pretty much wide open spaces inside, and could easily be adapted.

On top of that I think they realized they've ed a lot of people off by closing the club. I know it's not a huge number compared to the number of guests they get each year, but closing the AC is akin to booting Figment out of Imagination. The people who love these characters are passionate about it, and they aren't going to give up until they get satisfaction. Disney may not like admitting to mistakes, but I believe they are ready to swallow their pride on this one.

Disney would never admit a mistake.. they would say that it was part of the plan all along ot keep the club open.. with a temporary 'down time' ... just pray they don't make it 'seasonal' :)

SirGoofy

Disney would never admit a mistake.. they would say that it was part of the plan all along ot keep the club open.. with a temporary 'down time' ... just pray they don't make it 'seasonal' :)

:lol:

You're probably right, but I'd take seasonal over closed anyday.

CaptainMichael

Like I said before, the AC is such a unique structure, in both decor and construction, that it would not easily suit much else.. So, it's probably re-open or demolish.. Hopefully, it's reopen... And hopefully it won't be september, but sooner..

Having said all that.. Disney should look into providing (MORE?) interactive dining around property.. Dinner theater is popular all over the country, and I would definately try it if it was done with 'disney quality'... Not suggesting a 'Medevil times' type thing.. more of a dinner murder mystery, etc..
A change of heart hardcard?

I also agree with your second point. It seems like it's an obvious venture, but I suppose it's cheaper and easier to stick "foamheads" (to quote '74) into an existing restaurant than to come up with a new concept with room for improv.

It's also important to note that the AC was favorite of many people inside the tWDC ranging from VPs to us lowly seasonal CMs. Not only that but the AC should have never closed to begin with. It would have been smart to keep it around to draw existing business and goodwill to Paridiso and whatever else is coming. The AC, in my mind, was the rock upon which PI was built. Everything else was interchangeable, but the AC needed to be there for it to remain "Pleasure" Island and have some semblance of Disney "magic". Just think, with the AC remaining, you have an existing customer base to patronize the new restaurants (I'd love to have dinner somewhere close before going in the cloob), and the new restaurants bring in new patronage for the AC. Synergy and planning at its best. Instead, Disney closed down everything and angered many people.

This is why I continue to find the 1 year cruise storyline from the last night interesting. It's also interesting that Disney has retained the majority of the cast. I could see where a plan would make sense to close AC for a year while Paradiso was being built (and originally other venues), the economy was bad, and some of the most talented CMs opened Idol, and then reopen it with some of the "new PI" this year. If that was really the plan, and it really happens, I would really have to rethink everything I've been saying about management the past few months. That would be a very impressive plan. I wonder if the cast or management or WDI came up with 1 year cruise. Does anyone know?

:lol:

You're probably right, but I'd take seasonal over closed anyday.
Definitely, and in the long run, that may be a better business plan.

hathawaybrowne

We're concerned with keeping the 1 year storyline intact at the same place that celebrated the 1937 Open house every day for almost 20 years?

markc

If it helps Disney save face and they choose to reopen it because of it, yes.

I think you're taking this too seriously and a little too far. Disney could care less about some fake storyline they created on the last day they opened it. IF they wanted to re-open it, they could clearly alter the storyline however way they chose. In the grand scheme of things, the "one year hiatus" is not what's stopping them from reopening or saving face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom