Lagoon Replacement!!!

StevenT

Originally posted by yensidtlaw1969
If they did build one, they said it would go in Epcot.

1. That makes NO SENSE AT ALL. IF they were to build a Harry Potter ride it should go in MGM! Ride about a movie should logically go in the MOVIE theme park!

2. Whatever they do with 20k leagues it has to be of the same high quality. I vote for a large budget e-ticket attraction that is far superiour to 20k leagues. I want something that doesn't make me wish 20k leagues was still there. A stage show would be a complete waste of that space.

sniggle74

Re: Re: Lagoon Replacement!!!

Originally posted by StevenT
1. That makes NO SENSE AT ALL. IF they were to build a Harry Potter ride it should go in MGM! Ride about a movie should logically go in the MOVIE theme park!

If that were the case....then all of the attractions in Fantasyland would not exist. All of the attractions ARE movies as well as classic tales. SO....either way Harry and Ron fit in Fantasyland just as well as Peter and Tink.

I've voiced my opinion many times before. I really can't change my stance until I see more (and hear more) from the area.

StevenT

Sniggle, you obviously didn't read the quote above my statement. I wasn't saying it wouldn't fit in Fantasyland, I was saying it wouldn't fit in Epcot. Read that quote again.

It really wouldn't fit in Fantasyland either because, well it's Harry Potter... Warner Brothers has no place in Walt Disney World. A Harry Potter ride at Six Flags, now THAT makes sense, not at Disney.

sniggle74

My apologies StevenT....And you are correct in that one as well....it would not fit in Epcot. I don't feel any "character based" rides really belong in World Showcase. I know there were talks about adding the characters to respected countries (ie - Aladdin in Morocco, Koda in Canada, Mulan in China). The world showcase was and is meant for learning. If we really want to add things to World Showcase....bring the proposed "attractions" that were to be originally placed in all of the countries.

Again, I apologizeStevenT....and my apologies if I sounded harsh or mean.

StevenT

About character attractions in the World Showcase, I agree completley. Mailstrom is a great ride about the culture of Norway, it doesn't need notable characters to make it enjoyable. Characters would ruin the learning experiance.

sniggle74

I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this point. Granted, when I was there a few weeks ago, I did see Meet and Greet areas with the appropriate character. I was a bit upset to see it, but at the same time...it's better than having The Flying Carpets of Aladdin stuck in the middle of the beautiful land of Morocco.

Re: Re: Lagoon Replacement!!!

Originally posted by StevenT

No it doesn't, but neither do the previously planned movie pavillion or Return to Oz dark ride belong in Epcot, I just hope the Harry Potter idea follows suit because there have been talks of it going there. And I completely agree with no disney character attractions at epcot. It's bad enough nemo and ellen are in future world already(I know, ellens not a disney character, but belongs just as much), but I have no problems with corresponding characters walkin around because it is a disney park after all.

imamouse

Also....

I realize that it is cheaper to duplicate existing rides (Soarin') and attractions (Snow White) from one park to another, but it also dilutes the worth of the ride/attraction each time it is duplicated.

This direction reduces the cross-sell ability of DL and WDW. If so much of DL shows up in WDW, my motivation to travel to DL is greatly diminished.

If the top brass at Disney were looking at a long term plan, they would develop unique attractions at each location, then sell a Mega AP that includes admission to all WDW parks, plus the 2 DL parks. The possibilities for the Disney Travel Company would be endless! So many packages....

speck76

I agree the Movie pavilion never would have "fit" into Epcot, but I do think Characters can be used to help tell the story. I always thought UoE was pretty cool, but if you read anything about it, it was replaced with the current show because the majority of guests (of which none of un fit that mold, as the majority of guests never would be involved in a Disney based forum) thought it was overly-academic. The new show not only is educational, but also much more entertaining.

The Nemo characters in TLS are used in the same way. They did not replace the Sea Cabs with a Finding Nemo dark ride, they just altered some aquariums to include the fish that the movie used, and then put up a few posters. Every time I visit TLS, which is almost every weekend, this wing is the most crowded.

Characters can be used as long as they are not the focus of the story.

sniggle74

Originally posted by speck76
I agree the Movie pavilion never would have "fit" into Epcot, but I do think Characters can be used to help tell the story. I always thought UoE was pretty cool, but if you read anything about it, it was replaced with the current show because the majority of guests (of which none of un fit that mold, as the majority of guests never would be involved in a Disney based forum) thought it was overly-academic. The new show not only is educational, but also much more entertaining.

The Nemo characters in TLS are used in the same way. They did not replace the Sea Cabs with a Finding Nemo dark ride, they just altered some aquariums to include the fish that the movie used, and then put up a few posters. Every time I visit TLS, which is almost every weekend, this wing is the most crowded.

I see your point speck76. In Future World it MAY work. But my "arguement" spawns from the throught of chacters making their way into World Showcase. I know that Nemo brought people into TLS, but if you were never familiar with Figment, would you go to JIYI? What about Cranium Command? Epcot was never really meant to hold characters....However, I must admit, you bring in a good point.

speck76

Re: Also....

Originally posted by imamouse
This direction reduces the cross-sell ability of DL and WDW. If so much of DL shows up in WDW, my motivation to travel to DL is greatly diminished.

I don't think that is a big concern. Over 85% of the domestic visitors to Orlando are from the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South, and Midwest. That only leaves 15% coming from west of the Mississippi river. (And with the considering Orlando is the number 2 convention destination, most of these people are probably not coming for WDW) If all they do is turn the MK into Disneyland East, it really won't matter. Any new attraction they build, and can market, is going to be able to draw in visitors, even if it is just a copy.

speck76

Originally posted by sniggle74
I see your point speck76. In Future World it MAY work. But my "arguement" spawns from the throught of chacters making their way into World Showcase. I know that Nemo brought people into TLS, but if you were never familiar with Figment, would you go to JIYI? What about Cranium Command? Epcot was never really meant to hold characters....However, I must admit, you bring in a good point.

Figment is a great example. The original story was never about Figment, he was just used to help tell the story. Disney could always try to create new characters, but for TLS, why create a character that nobody has heard of, when you have a movie full of them that everybody knows.

Figment was also around when NO characters were ever seen at Epcot, which helped his popularity.

Originally posted by speck76

This same kinda arguement was used against me with the whole Canadian river raft/Brother bear debate. By adding these things to epcot, you're taking away the point. Of course, the learning involved has to be fun because if it's not fun then why pay fifty bucks when you can go to a museum, but it can be made fun without useing disney characters. If you need the characters to tell the story, then there isn't enough of a story to tell and so what's the point. With UOE, make it a full dark ride and the problem is solved if done properly. With TLS, it's their own fault for making the place so dull. It has no character to it, and that's why it's unpopular. It should not only be an aquarium, but have AA and tell some kinda story instead of just being informative. But then again, no disney parks were supposed to have replica rides, so what do I know.

sniggle74

I always believed that while there will always be some cloning, DL and MK were going to have separate attractions that make each park unique. DL has been able to maintain that with things like Storybookland, Alice, and Pinocchio.....but what does MK have that DL doesn't? I think it's time for that uniqueness to return!!! Hopefully, that's what this open land will finally achieve!

speck76

Oh, I forgot to make my point.

WS was always meant to showcase cultures, so, they could use characters that were part of that culture....but these would not be Disney characters, so it would never be done.
Winnie the Pooh is showcased at the UK because a British author wrote the books...Winnie was British before he was Disney. the other way around does not make sense...i.e. Aladdin in Morrocco. (wasn't the story of Aladdin from old Persia, and since when was Persia near Morrocco....)

Originally posted by sniggle74
I always believed that while there will always be some cloning, but that DL and MK were going to have separate attractions that make each park unique. DL has been able to maintain that with things like Storybookland, Alice, and Pinocchio.....but what does MK have that DL doesn't? I think it's time for that uniqueness to return!!! Hopefully, that's what this open land will finally achieve!

Timekeeper, COP, TTA, Stitch, hall of presidents, mickey's philharmagic...

TimeTrip

Originally posted by awallaceunc
Well the best news here is definitely that it WON'T be HP.

When did someone say definitely not? I'm still secretly rooting for a HP attraction. Me and what .. one other person on these boards? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom