LA TIMES: Walt Disney World plans to deploy driverless shuttles

seascape

I don't think they make a move without trying to find a way to diminish CM numbers.
Disney needs more workers not less. The problem is there are not enough people on the Orlando area to fill all the jobs at WDW and Universal. That is why Universal is testing robot room service and Disney is going to test Driverless cars. Both Companies are going to grow substantially over the next decade are need to find ways to provide more services to consumers with the same number of employees.

flyerjab

It kinda looks like the industry is trying to create some buzz around autonomous shuttles. I've seen a few articles on their use as public transport, most recently at CNET https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/self-driving-cars-automated-public-transport-bus/

What is interesting to me is how the public in general (not just people on this site) reacts to this idea. Yes, there will still most likely be accidents as nothing is perfect and there will still be a mix of drivers and driverless vehicles whenever this concept does start to get off of the ground. What if this starts in high urban areas and there is no increase in the number of accidents or the number of accidents drops? Wouldn't that be considered a success of some sort? I still say that a large part of this will depend upon the responsibility of the people behind the wheels of their own cars. This could work really well but it won't stop the people that are still driving distracted.

The other interesting part of this is that it reminds me completely of something that Walt would espouse. I would imagine how people would have gone crazy for this in the 80s when EPCOT first opened - "stay at the Contemporary and visit EPCOT by monorail or complimentary driverless vehicles". This would have been looked at as true futurism and people would have loved it. But modern day cynicism is a fickle thing.

Of course there is always the dependable poster or two that I know will link this back to job reduction and saving TWDC money. And while I am certain that there is some truth to that to a degree, who is to say that a reduction in this type of job wouldn't allow for increases in other types of jobs at WDW…like say maintenance or park operations? Things that we all say WDW needs more of.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The difference for WDW is that these won't be city streets. WDW will make sure all their roads have appropriate markings. The routes will be limited to those roads WDW knows are OK for the driverless cars. And as mentioned, dedicated bus lanes are being put in, and maybe we'll see more.

And no snow.
What do they do in monsoon rain, though? And what effect does nearby lightning have on their sensors?

Minthorne

What do they do in monsoon rain, though? And what effect does nearby lightning have on their sensors?

Far more important - is there AC? ;)

But for the AKL to AK journey it almost makes sense to have a dedicated road for these vehicles to take guests back and forth. almost.
What about internal at OKW, CSR, CBR or other larger resorts? How about a droid vehicle moving you around from the parked star cruiser hotel to the SW land? inside the hotel? There's a lot to imagine here.

AshaNeOmah

I'd be willing to pay a resort fee in the far future if it included private, autonomous shuttles from my resort to the park, Uber style.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Welcome Foolish Mortals to the WDW Shuttle. I am your chauffeur, your ghostly driver into the boundless realms of the WDW resort. Kindly take your loved ones by the hand, please, and watch your step as you board. We do so hope you enjoy our "spirited" shuttle service.

Our journey will materialize only if you remain quietly seated at all times. Next stop, Magic Kingdom.

Last edited:

TiggerDad

It kinda looks like the industry is trying to create some buzz around autonomous shuttles. I've seen a few articles on their use as public transport, most recently at CNET https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/self-driving-cars-automated-public-transport-bus/
The technology for autonomous vehicles is advancing faster than most people realize. Higher end passenger cars already have many seni-autonomous features but the bigger advances will come first in the commercial sector because of the economics of investment returns, the shortage of commercial drivers, and yes the liability issues. We will soon reach the point where computers are safer drivers than humans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom