LA Times: Is Disney Paying Its Fair Share In Anaheim

Travel Junkie

I think the point trying to be made was the employee does also bear responsibility in the wage they are paid. The responsibility does not lie solely with the government and the employer. So while I agree the minimum wage should go up, and in this case I think it should be done across all of Anaheim not just the Resort District. So while I do agree on this, its up to the employee to find a new job if they want to earn more money and their current job doesn't provide a way to earn more money.

And I agree. Flynn keeps trying to make stuff up. Never have I or any one said the responsibility lie solely with the government and employer. Making the argument about raising the minimum wage doesn't mean you are saying each employee isn't ultimately responsible for where they work.

And that's a problem with discussing topics in this country. For example arguing that NFL players should be able to kneel during the anthem doesn't mean you hate America has some have argued. Some jump to the most extreme conclusion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And I agree. Flynn keeps trying to make stuff up. Never have I or any one said the responsibility lie solely with the government and employer. Making the argument about raising the minimum wage doesn't mean you are saying each employee isn't ultimately responsible for where they work.

And that's a problem with discussing topics in this country. For example arguing that NFL players should be able to kneel during the anthem doesn't mean you hate America has some have argued. Some jump to the most extreme conclusion.

I don't think Flynn is making stuff up, at least that is not how I perceive it. They have expressed their opinion toward what you and others have expressed as your opinion. And I can see their point, just like I can see your point.

Bottom line, no one is forcing any CM to work at Disney, its a choice. So the CM goes into the job with open eyes knowing full well what the job pays. As such the CM is responsible for being their own advocate. If they want more income, then they need to do what they have to in order to get more income, including but not limited to getting a new job outside of Disney.

This is what Flynn was trying to say, at least how I interpreted it. And by the way, it shouldn't have to keep being said, but no one is saying CMs overall don't need higher wages.

choco choco

Here's a theory:

Pin the wage of workers to a particular fraction of what the President/CEO/Highest-Earner-At-The-Company makes. That way, we don't see management continually fleecing the underlings. So if Iger makes however many millions (include vested stock options/dividends/bonuses...whatever), divide that by 2080 (hours per work year) to get an hourly rate, and then say all CM's get 0.25% of that wage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here's a theory:

Pin the wage of workers to a particular fraction of what the President/CEO/Highest-Earner-At-The-Company makes. That way, we don't see management continually fleecing the underlings. So if Iger makes however many millions (include vested stock options/dividends/bonuses...whatever), divide that by 2080 (hours per work year) to get an hourly rate, and then say all CM's get 0.25% of that wage.

Pretty much a mindset that ignores every 'incentive based' comp plan ever...

flynnibus

Premium Member

Yet when outlining the problem you make a point to name two responsible parties... yet leave out the 3rd. That's all my comment was.. employees themselves are responsible for the outcome too. Yet instead you go on some trite about making stuff up vs acknowledging your passion story is conveniently leaving out key bits. Employees are responsible for the job they take. If an employee doesn't like a job, tell me what they are doing about changing where they work, or what opportunities they have. If it simply is complaining to someone about not being paid enough... I have zero sympathy for them.

If you are 37 and been working a job that just barely pays above minimum wage for 10+ years... the government and the employers are not the problem... IT'S YOU.

If you are 37 and can't do enough to progress beyond work that anyone can pickup with some simple OTJ training... stop looking to the government to mandate someone make you more valuable.

The problem persists that we have people who don't advance, yet expect their pay to advance simply because they've been there a long time? That's unsustainable.

If you want to complain about stagnant wages, tell me what the individual is doing different than what they were doing when they started.

TP2000

Many of the long term CM's mentioned by UniteHERE that barely make over minimum wage and not promoted are in tipped positions. They aren't looking for a better job since they make a lot of tips, get good benefits, plus perks like admission.

A good reminder that the 37 year old grumpy bellhop is making at least an additional $10 per hour in tips (if he assists three parties per hour with their luggage). I'm sure he can make much more than that in tips too, if he puts on a good show for customers.

Also, just throwing this out there for those not in California, this is the current minimum wage in California and the current state law that raises the minimum wage automatically for the next four years:

California Minimum Wage for employers with 26 or more employees:
Current in 2018 - $11.00 per hour
January 1, 2019 - $12.00 per hour
January 1, 2020 - $13.00 per hour
January 1, 2021 - $14.00 per hour
January 1, 2022 - $15.00 per hour

The problem with many service industry unions representing unskilled labor is that their multi-year contracts from this decade never factored in a rapid rise in the minimum wage like this, from the $8.00 per hour it was in 2013 to the current $11.00 and an annual march to $15.00. That's nearly doubled the minimum wage in under a decade, and the unions got caught flat footed on that. Those raises are mandated by the state, no union dues required.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All the more reason to get rid of them (incentive based comp).

Dumbest idea ever.

Incentives is the best way to reward and encourage behavior. The key is using good metrics that are measurable, align to your goals, and directly related to the people involved.

When we take it to the extreme...like pure sales commission.. we call it "coin operated". Behavior can be steered by compensation.

Need more of product X sold... spiff it
Need greater attention on certain metrics... reward those who excel at it

The idea that everyone gets paid the same regardless of effort or results is pretty much how you get to the US Federal worker. Ineffective, unmotivated, slow, and indifferent to the effectiveness of your organization.

Pretty much - Management failure.

choco choco

Dumbest idea ever.

Incentives is the best way to reward and encourage behavior. The key is using good metrics that are measurable, align to your goals, and directly related to the people involved.

When we take it to the extreme...like pure sales commission.. we call it "coin operated". Behavior can be steered by compensation.

Need more of product X sold... spiff it
Need greater attention on certain metrics... reward those who excel at it

The idea that everyone gets paid the same regardless of effort or results is pretty much how you get to the US Federal worker. Ineffective, unmotivated, slow, and indifferent to the effectiveness of your organization.

Pretty much - Management failure.

Most of the time, incentives are met not by improving products or growing business, but simply cost cutting. Cost-cutting is not by itself a bad idea, but the optics never look good if hundreds lose their jobs and the head earner profits multiples upon multiples because of it.

21stamps

Most of the time, incentives are met not by improving products or growing business, but simply cost cutting. Cost-cutting is not by itself a bad idea, but the optics never look good if hundreds lose their jobs and the head earner profits multiples upon multiples because of it.

As someone who’s annual incentive based income is higher than my salary...

What are you talking about?

What you’re describing is the exact opposite of incentives, the entire objective is to growing business and profits.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm sorry... but your recent line of posts reads like sour internet kid and reflects nothing about business management or personal management.

SuddenStorm

California Minimum Wage for employers with 26 or more employees:
Current in 2018 - $11.00 per hour
January 1, 2019 - $12.00 per hour
January 1, 2020 - $13.00 per hour
January 1, 2021 - $14.00 per hour
January 1, 2022 - $15.00 per hour

Word is, Six Flags Magic Mountain is planning on getting rid of all their servers at their one, and only sit down location before minimum wage gets this high. If anyone thinks Disney isn't considering similar measures, and that a lot of people aren't gonna be out of jobs pretty soon, they're being delusional.

That's almost a 40% increase in labor costs in 5 years- and for a company that employees tens of thousands of individuals, that are mostly entry level jobs, that extra $4 an hour per person really adds up.

But hey, I guess that's one solution to the "I've been at Disney for a decade and make minimum" problem.

EricsBiscuit

I don't be get why Anaheim gets so involved with business. Disney pays as low as it can. And, it should! It's a public company and management has a duty to shareholders to keep costs low.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't be get why Anaheim gets so involved with business. Disney pays as low as it can. And, it should! It's a public company and management has a duty to shareholders to keep costs low.

Yes but there needs to be a balance. Being a public company does not mean you must be cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

The duty of the directors is to return VALUE to the shareholders... not be as cheap as possible. Being fiscally responsible does not mean cheap. It means making the correct, balanced decisions that respect the interest of the company, not just themselves. And to not just be frivolous.

Attracting and retaining the best employees can be expensive and is a valid thing to spend on.

EricsBiscuit

Yes but there needs to be a balance. Being a public company does not mean you must be cheap. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

The duty of the directors is to return VALUE to the shareholders... not be as cheap as possible. Being fiscally responsible does not mean cheap. It means making the correct, balanced decisions that respect the interest of the company, not just themselves. And to not just be frivolous.

Attracting and retaining the best employees can be expensive and is a valid thing to spend on.
Oh I agree about that. But the way most people talk about Disney and wages makes it sound like every CM is paid minimum wage. I just think it should be up to the market to find that balance.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh I agree about that. But the way most people talk about Disney and wages makes it sound like every CM is paid minimum wage. I just think it should be up to the market to find that balance.

Agree - I'm not against regulation.. and I do think government has a role in establishing standards and minimums. But I think some reach too far.

It's a balance job that takes in labor, skills, employers needs, and regulation. You can't just mandate everyone to be comfortable and happy and expect that to work.

choco choco

I'm sorry... but your recent line of posts reads like sour internet kid and reflects nothing about business management or personal management.

Sour about what? I am not espousing a political belief. I am not even taking sides in an argument. I threw out an idea about worker wages for discussion, and for that I get you - without even discussing anything -throwing out blanket statements (what about incentives????) and making braggadocio statements like, "reflects nothing about business management or personal management^" without any backing behind them.

Why can't a CEO earn a normal salary without any extra incentives like many normal people do?

^Goodness me, what does that even mean? Are you claiming that cost-cutting is not one of the most crucial dials that CEO's normally turn to get the financial gibberish to work out in their favor? Who's being naive here?

As someone who’s annual incentive based income is higher than my salary...

What are you talking about?

What you’re describing is the exact opposite of incentives, the entire objective is to growing business and profits.

I am not talking about you. I am literally talking about the head executive of a global media conglomerate who play a financial game that is far ahead of the normal rules that govern whatever middle manager is at Podunk & Associates Co.

I get the feeling people think I am attacking incentive based pay. Which wasn't even close to what started my thread. I started with talking about finding a way to increase run-of-the-mill worker pay. I don't really care about executives at all and focusing on them is like, totally! (in sour internet kid talk) uninteresting.

choco choco

Also, to use the example of Iger, I don’t think CM’s would be happy about a 17% wage decrease (what happened to Iger in 2017).

Don't have Iger's compensation ping-ponging back and forth every year based on some arbitrary metric. Pay him a regular salary and pin the workers wages to a percentage of that. If, over time, Iger deserves a raise, everybody's wages rise with him; in recognition that his performance is based off the work of others. Whole company gets rewarded together.

The executive can join the 401K program (disclaimer: I have no idea if Disney has a 401k program) like everybody else if he needs any more "incentive" than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom