Kungaloosh!!!

71jason

No room for a kitchen in Void, not even sure how much work sinks for a bar would require. I'm sure the VR equipment was stripped.

Occam's Razor suggests the rumored SEA escape room is being relocated from Saratoga. It's cheap. It still gets a ton of positive influencer spin. It makes money hand over fist for 6 months or so, maybe even sells a little merch. I doubt we get any Equity actors, but would be cool if we got one as a host or at least a Pepper's ghost or something. Probably wishful thinking tho.

BTW, re: actors, they'd still have to audition so as long as they are at Universal or still in the area, could easily be rehired. Even the fan-favorites had to re-audition every year. It's part of being a theme park thespian.

Amused to Death

Maybe some of you have been following this but, these owners were huge AC fans and they decided to recreate elements mixed with TikI and supper club. They are doing a great job and the Instagram is on point…

Great concept art by Mike Schwalm, who worked on Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar, and numerous other projects for Disney.

Mike Schwalm Creative

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
BoardWalk Inn lost the opportunity of doing something immersive with the Abracadabar, which had the promise of a hangout with close-up magicians but just wound up with LED screen posters and a reverse mirror correcting mirror... MAGIC!!!

BoardWalk constantly loses the opportunity to be a real hang-out spot in the vein of DS. It's shops, restaurants, and minimal attractions are the retail establishments normally found in any deluxe hotel. Just with a boardwalk theme.

Don't know if the hotel management actually wants hordes of people hanging out in the outside lobby of their hotel.

Agreed. When first announced I thought to myself - this has got some real potential. Somewhere along the way - it became a nice bar with some magic props.

EPCOT-O.G.

BoardWalk Inn lost the opportunity of doing something immersive with the Abracadabar, which had the promise of a hangout with close-up magicians but just wound up with LED screen posters and a reverse mirror correcting mirror... MAGIC!!!

BoardWalk constantly loses the opportunity to be a real hang-out spot in the vein of DS. It's shops, restaurants, and minimal attractions are the retail establishments normally found in any deluxe hotel. Just with a boardwalk theme.

Don't know if the hotel management actually wants hordes of people hanging out in the outside lobby of their hotel.
I listened to a podcast (Disney Dish?) in which it sounded like the early plans for BWI area intended it to be something of an after-hours destination (the "convention kingdom" era) but they scaled that back in favor of building up the Pleasure Island concept. Maybe BWI's lackluster offerings are endemic* given what they had intended for its use when it was built?

*Sorry to use that word now but its the best one that fits?

UNCgolf

Most of them don't even have that anymore. Ample Hills had good ice cream but the interior looked like something from a mall -- it certainly didn't fit the turn of the century boardwalk theme.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I listened to a podcast (Disney Dish?) in which it sounded like the early plans for BWI area intended it to be something of an after-hours destination (the "convention kingdom" era) but they scaled that back in favor of building up the Pleasure Island concept. Maybe BWI's lackluster offerings are endemic* given what they had intended for its use when it was built?

*Sorry to use that word now but its the best one that fits?
You wanted "anemic." ;)

WDW's record of entertainment that isn't the nighttime spectacular constantly under-wowing with anemic fare is endemic (i.e., pervasive, common).

UNCgolf

Wow it’s basically a can I copy your homework? Yah just change it a little so it’s not obvious (except it’s super obvious) situation. Saying that, still super impressive looking.

I'm pretty sure one of the main people involved used to work for Disney and was part of the design of Trader Sam's.

I guess its still not open yet? That article was from April of last year and not much info on the website.

I randomly stumbled upon this place a few days ago and was reading up about it. The website hasn't been updated, but the Facebook page (I think, it might be Instagram or somewhere else) was updated in the last week or so and said they are very close to opening.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Most of them don't even have that anymore. Ample Hills had good ice cream but the interior looked like something from a mall -- it certainly didn't fit the turn of the century boardwalk theme.
Is it really supposed to be turn of the century? I thought it was modern mid-Atlantic shore (which often has old turn of the century architecture).

BoardWalk never impressed me because I lived right by that architecture and seaside boardwalks all my life.

UNCgolf

Is it really supposed to be turn of the century? I thought it was modern mid-Atlantic shore (which often has old turn of the century architecture).

BoardWalk never impressed me because I lived right by that architecture and seaside boardwalks all my life.

I think that was the plan when it first opened -- I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of one of the original stores and it had an early 20th century theme. I'm trying to find it now.

Rosso11

Yes I believe it’s suppose to be turn of the century and based off of Atlantic City specifically at that time. The lobby still has many of the Atlantic City items represented however I believe it has lost most of the references on the actual Boardwalk over the years. The original ice Cream shop was filled with many vintage Atlantic City photographs. After all the Boardwalk was invented in Atlantic City.

UNCgolf

Just checked. Disney's site calls it 'turn of the century,' so, you're right.

Yacht and Beach are contemporary.

Seashore Sweets is what I was thinking of -- it had more of an early 20th century look with candy and ice cream. I'm not sure why they gave up on this style and went more generic. They could have served Ample Hills in a place that looked like this.

1642709116024.png

Last edited:

Midlife Mouse

Wow it’s basically a can I copy your homework? Yah just change it a little so it’s not obvious (except it’s super obvious) situation. Saying that, still super impressive looking.
I think the tiki elements push it closer to TS than AC, at least based on the detail photos on their FB page. Having guys like Trader Brandon and Tiki Tony contribute to the design and the fact that they're presenting a design panel at Inuhele in Atlanta this weekend only confirm the tiki leaning even more.

fgmnt

I could see that…limited investment/cost

does two things:
1. Something cheap to ballyhoo
2. A bone to old fans who are rather cranky about the state of affairs and starting to get vocal.

I think I saw a semi-reputable sourced article the other day that said survey feedback for Disney parks were highlighting “too expsensive”

that’s more shocking to hit print than people think
Considering how surveys are designed by people in the company to confirm their agendas, that’s very interesting.

WDW Pro

I’m not sure if anyone caught this on The Adventurer’s Club Facebook group page yesterday but ex Imagineer McNair Wilson casually dropped this on there on a post about the new shirt.
View attachment 615188

And there's the solid proof that this concept isn't off the ground. What is perhaps off the ground is a S.E.A. based escape room experience with AC references. Disney already knows the popularity of AC, however, and I would not be surprised to see a chunk of that massive cap ex used to bring it back in some way. Now back to your standard disgruntled anarctic water fowl...

JoeCamel

And there's the solid proof that this concept isn't off the ground. What is perhaps off the ground is a S.E.A. based escape room experience with AC references. Disney already knows the popularity of AC, however, and I would not be surprised to see a chunk of that massive cap ex used to bring it back in some way. Now back to your standard disgruntled anarctic water fowl...
Massive capex? 2.5B?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom