Kouzzina by Cat Cora closing permanently at the end of September

LondonGopher

My late father was a nightclub singer. He used to say, "People don't clap for music they like, they clap for music they RECOGNIZE".

This is the reason why every high street in England looks the same. It's why people visit Manhattan and eat at Red Lobster instead of one of the dozens of fab and unique restaurants just a few blocks away. No excuse these days, what with the ubiquitous TripAdvising-type sites.

At WDW part of it is cost-related, too. A family of four is going to be dropping $100 for dinner (at least). "Well, we know what we'll get at Rainforest...It's OK...nuggets for the kids. I don't want to risk spending all that money on something weird that I might not like...".

I get both sides of this. I love ethnic food and I prefer unique, family-owned places...but I also eat at McDonald's IN FRANCE* (and so do thousands of French people, every day).

As for Kouzzina, I'm disappointed. I love Greek food and was excited to try it this autumn (when DH, who HATES Greek food, will be staying at home).

*This is due to the extremely disobliging restaurant opening hours in France. They WILL insist on giving their staff adequate time off...;) ...whereas Mac and Don's Supper Club is open all jour long.

Admiral01

Premium Member
It is a shame. The food was wonderful. Too bad anything other than burgers and fries is seen as "adventurous" to the average WDW guest (or average American for that matter). Not that I don't love a good burger and fries. I just like sushi, calamari, cinnamon and orzo chicken, pad thai, pickled herring, seafood paella, and bahn mi too.

Voice of Disney sanity

Well we loved this place and will definitely miss it. We booked it almost EVERYTIME we came to wdw. The red snapper was unbelievable as well as HUGE. They served you a whole one so it was really dinner for 4. The mussels were some of the best I ever had and the leg of lamb was amazing. Not to mention the best Greek olives and baklava and ... Ouzo and...
I'm returning in December and already had marked it as one of my choices but I guess I'll have to switch it :(

Voice of Disney sanity

Totally agree. Big River was one of my worse lunches. I think I got the burger...And I also agree the food choices at the BW are limited for the size of the resort. I hated that practically everything qs is outside dining. My pet peeve about staying at the BW. Of course that is keeping with the theme I guess.

I ate at Kouzzina for breakfast once and it was okay but the eggs were cold. I hate being served cold food. While I love good greek food never made the time to dine there for dinner but I will be sure to do so this summer before it is gone for good.
You guys that ate here messed up bigtime :)
The only thing you're supposed to do at big river is sit outside on the boardwalk and drink a few beers. Did you not read my book? :) oh yeah I haven't written it yet :) but seriously grab a few beers here outside as the sun is going down and you'll change your mind about this place.

Rose&Crowner

I'm not sad to see Kouzzina go because I'm looking forward to what they can come up with! What the boardwalk needs is something akin to whispering canyon, complete with guest/cast member interaction, but with the proper old fashioned boardwalk theme.

Regarding its isolation, there are definitely easy ways to get to and from if you want to go, but additional transportation would be a detriment to the boardwalk hotel guests experience.

debpeduz

Have some sense of adventure!
This is the reason that all of the gift shops have the exact same product-no sense of adventure or breaking free of your every day monotony. I remember when the world showcase shops had much more unique product, as well as the shops in the magic kingdom. Now it's all the same.
Like others have said, you go on vacation, spend a lot of $ and you don't want to eat in some place where you can eat back home or in most towns in the USA. I don't want the same food in every restaurant. I want different dining experiences, foods, tastes, drinks, etc. I can't help but think that my 17 month old daughter eats better than most adults. When we go out to eat, we rarely order of the kids menu for her. We want her to have the exposure to different types of foods, tastes, etc. One day, I hope that her interest and pallet can be diverse so as to not think that good food comes from a Joe's Crab Shack.
Please Disney, give us a unique dining experience at the Boardwalk. We don't need more chains or mediocre (at best) food.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
^ I wouldn't mind a Bubba Gump going on the boardwalk. You don't see those all over like other chain restaurants and the food is delicious. Plus it also goes with the waterfront well.

Bubba Gump's is already at Universal CityWalk, then again, so is Starbucks and that's also at WDW...ehh, I'd like a sushi restaurant.

The problem with the Boardwalk is that they might be indirectly competing with World Showcase restaurants, and it is a bit tricky to the boardwalk from another resort unless its yacht and beach club

disney4life2008

What the Boardwalk needs is a more afforadable family friendly place. I would welcome any of the landry spots excluding those already on property. I never want to go to the Boardwalk because well there is no place to eat that is good. I usually go to Beaches and Cream and skip the boardwalk. But if they add a better place that costs less i am sure to keep it in my plans

StageFrenzy

^ I wouldn't mind a Bubba Gump going on the boardwalk. You don't see those all over like other chain restaurants and the food is delicious. Plus it also goes with the waterfront well.

Bubba Gump has a location at City Walk, I'm not saying Orlando couldn't support two. There might be an exclusivity clause in the contract though.

harryk

My guess is they would rather have people frequenting the WS restaurants anyway. An expanded ESPN could do very well IMO.
This would be a great idea - but there is no place to get a sit-down breakfast anyplace else on the Boardwalk.
Not everyone wants to walk over to the Beach Club side for a breakfast. The Inn only offers a continental breakfast. World Showcase opens rather late for a breakfast and there is no place there to get one.

Tomi-Rocket

Anyone in-the-know know why Kouzzina is closing?

Just wondering because Cat Cora has been MIA on ANY food show, channel, segment since her arrest.

The Empress Lilly

well that didn't last long...

I often wonder about the boardwalk. I wonder if many even know it exists...
The Boardwalk is close but no cigar. Too big to be a hotel dining area, too small to be Downtown/CityWalkish. And too boring to be of interest as a themed experience.

Pity. The idea of a boardwalk nighttime area in itself is promising. But build during the cheap, underwhelming era of WDW. It is little more than the pleasantly themed foodcourt of the nearby hotels.

Incidentally, $20 on the new restaurant being a roughly Boardwalkish themed restaurant operated by the evil Levy Restaurants group. (Portobello, Wolfgang Puck, Fulton's Crap House)

Last edited:

mickey2008.1

Being that the restaurant is at the boardwalk, I believe it should be themed to that. Breakfast is breakfast, just with a little more flair, fresh fruit toppings, different types of sausage and bacon, a little bit more upscale. As for Lunch and dinner, it should be seafood related with a splattering of funnel cakes, fries, and hot dogs. All of high quality of course. Is that not what is at a boardwalk?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom