Kosher food in the parks is horrible

unmitigated disaster

Also if you are staying at a Disney resort talk to the front desk (in person), asking for the hotel manager if needed.
In person complaints almost always get a better response.
Definitely talk to management. All the front desk person can do is apologize, often get verbally abused, and report the complaint to management, who, because they did not hear it, often discount it. Management gets paid the big bucks, let them earn it.

Ricky Spanish

No doubt about it, that meal is straight from a microwave.
Sad.
While I do not condone that type of service from any restaurant, I also feel for the kitchen staff.
It must be a tough to have a "normal" prep area, allergy prep area, and a kosher prep area in restaurants that pump out the amount of meals that Disney does every day.

GinaD613

Original Poster
No doubt about it, that meal is straight from a microwave.
Sad.
While I do not condone that type of service from any restaurant, I also feel for the kitchen staff.
It must be a tough to have a "normal" prep area, allergy prep area, and a kosher prep area in restaurants that pump out the amount of meals that Disney does every day.
They don’t have a kosher prep area. The meals are double-wrapped, and then heated in any available oven or microwave.

GinaD613

Original Poster
Hamburger lunch at Electric Umbrella

Attachments

• 24DD9074-EFE3-4CAB-B3AE-686BBBC2E98E.jpeg
    24DD9074-EFE3-4CAB-B3AE-686BBBC2E98E.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 197
  • 672B2DBE-12BF-4991-AE39-C24E70B2009A.jpeg
    672B2DBE-12BF-4991-AE39-C24E70B2009A.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 179

FoozieBear

We arrived yesterday, and the kosher meals under the new caterer, Sterling, is an embarrassment. The previous caterer, Weberman, provided generous portions of tasty food. While we missed fresh food, we understood that there were no kosher kitchens, and we were okay with it.
This was off to a bad start with pizza for lunch at AS Movies food court. It consisted of a piece of thin flatbread or other crust, smeared with tomato sauce and covered with a slice of mozzarella cheese. This was placed in a small plastic tray, and per instructions to the chef on the package, microwaved.
Dinner, for which we had pre-ordered brisket, was served in the same size tray, with partitions for peas and carrots and a small piece of potato pudding. The vegetable soup was generous, but tasteless. Pareve (non-dairy) cheesecake was dessert. Had we not been on the DDP, we would have been charged $55/person, same as for the other diners at the Tusker House buffet.
Lunch at Cosmic Rays was two chicken fingers, with corn and two small potato pancakes, in the same size tray. My DH ordered the hot dog, which came in the same tray with two potato pancakes, but no bun.
We had the salmon dinner at Skippers Canteen. I’ve attached a photo. The tray looks larger in the photo than IRL. No soup, but pareve cheesecake for dessert.
For breakfast I had a cheese omelet at ASMovies. This came with potatoes and a side of mushrooms. The eggs did not survive microwaving well. Chef Janess felt sorry for me after I told her about the pizza, and she gave me a kosher ciabatta roll.
I understand the kosher consumer is an infinitesimal minority at WDW, but then all the more reason why it shouldn’t be all that expensive to give us some value for our dining dollars. I know Disney isn’t charging us a premium for kosher, as we see in the real world, but they are charging outrageous sums in general. My husband, who refuses to go on the rides, is having a terrible time.View attachment 446525

This has been a problem for a long time, and there's no indication of Disney making any changes to it, which remains frustrating for so many guests. Disney has stepped up their game in food and dining, yet these embarrassing excuses for 'food' - microwaved meals made months earlier- are pretty inexcusable in their inability to create good food company-wide for all guests.

Considering their resources, it wouldn't be that difficult for them to improve and just make the food in their own designated kitchens instead of buying it from subpar outside vendors in microwave boxes.
I do agree with others in suggesting that you raise your concerns with Disney as this is something they've been closely monitoring lately.

Hockey89

This has been a problem for a long time, and there's no indication of Disney making any changes to it, which remains frustrating for so many guests. Disney has stepped up their game in food and dining, yet these embarrassing excuses for 'food' - microwaved meals made months earlier- are pretty inexcusable in their inability to create good food company-wide for all guests.

Considering their resources, it wouldn't be that difficult for them to improve and just make the food in their own designated kitchens instead of buying it from subpar outside vendors in microwave boxes.
I do agree with others in suggesting that you raise your concerns with Disney as this is something they've been closely monitoring lately.
Clearly, they have looked at the $ and logistics and said it is not worth it. I'm not sure how many people that eat Kosher that go to Disney but I'm guessing it is very small... If you need more evidence, look at that picture... Horrifying...

NYwdwfan

@GinaD613 I have a few questions and am hoping we can all help you find some sort of a solution to better enjoy the dining portion of your vacation:

- Were the Kosher meals promised and provided as part of the dining plan?
- Since the meals are inedible, is there any food that you can eat that has not strictly been prepared and wrapped in a Kosher kitchen such as salad or vegetables? You definitely shouldn't have to look for an alternative but I am wondering if there is one to help get through the vacation.

It sounds like they truly mislead you by offering the dining plan with a Kosher option when the food is clearly not made to be heated in the manner that is available to them.

FoozieBear

Clearly, they have looked at the $ and logistics and said it is not worth it. I'm not sure how many people that eat Kosher that go to Disney but I'm guessing it is very small... If you need more evidence, look at that picture... Horrifying...

There are many guests who eat Kosher that visit the parks - often reaching thousands during certain periods of the year. I think what it comes down to is lack of interest in the logistics of doing this year-round, and the lack of projected profitability in certain downtimes the year (since this is probably not a moneymaker on an average day - hence the base price of $11).

But there's no logical explanation as to why the company hasnt adapted to accommodate during those times - even a basic Kosher hot dog stand at the very least would make a massive money, as I'm sure all of those guests are bringing in their own food as a result of Disney's lackluster offerings.

RememberWhen

This is pretty bad. I’ve often wondered about the kosher meals at Disney. We don’t keep kosher, but do refrain from pork and shellfish products and haven’t had a problem at Disney with that. Those pictures sure leave a lot to be desired. I’m sorry that’s what you’re stuck with. It’s not like there are a ton of other options on property.
I do hope you get a positive response to your email. For what you pay those meals are terrible.

disneygeek90

That looks terrible and nothing close to worth the DDP money. I'm sure you could find much better accommodations outside of property if that's the best they can do.

GinaD613

Original Poster
Not everyone eats salads, etc., that were not prepared under kosher supervision. We can eat whole, raw fruit. We can eat many of the prepackaged snacks, such as candy bars and ice cream, that are sold nationally and are under supervision.

we did expect this type of meal, but the previous caterer’s food was tastier and more generous in portion sizes.

Normally when we travel, we make a point of finding a kosher restaurant in the area, or a supermarket. Many foods in the store are kosher.

We are aware of the nearby kosher restaurants. We wanted to avoid renting a car, and also taking the extra time to travel to and from the parks for lunch and dinner. We also considered the atmosphere in the park establishments.

Tonight we enjoyed the Biergarten. We had ordered the chicken dinners. According to the labels, they dated from Passover (a spring holiday), which goes to show how few kosher meals are ordered.
The chef told us he mistakenly heated up an extra salmon dinner and offered it to us. We declined. The beer was the best part of the meal.

As far as Disney opening a kosher restaurant, the upside is that anyone can eat there, it’s just that we can’t eat elsewhere. The downside is that it would have to be closed over the Sabbath and on our holidays. Many landlords like all of their stores to be open all operating hours.

Attachments

• 3F35796C-6724-4E10-B1A4-7DC95F321956.jpeg
    3F35796C-6724-4E10-B1A4-7DC95F321956.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 161
  • FB021AF5-4A89-4D0F-A966-3F6D2D683C0D.jpeg
    FB021AF5-4A89-4D0F-A966-3F6D2D683C0D.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 164

NYwdwfan

Not everyone eats salads, etc., that were not prepared under kosher supervision. We can eat whole, raw fruit. We can eat many of the prepackaged snacks, such as candy bars and ice cream, that are sold nationally and are under supervision.

we did expect this type of meal, but the previous caterer’s food was tastier and more generous in portion sizes.

Normally when we travel, we make a point of finding a kosher restaurant in the area, or a supermarket. Many foods in the store are kosher.

We are aware of the nearby kosher restaurants. We wanted to avoid renting a car, and also taking the extra time to travel to and from the parks for lunch and dinner. We also considered the atmosphere in the park establishments.

Tonight we enjoyed the Biergarten. We had ordered the chicken dinners. According to the labels, they dated from Passover (a spring holiday), which goes to show how few kosher meals are ordered.
The chef told us he mistakenly heated up an extra salmon dinner and offered it to us. We declined. The beer was the best part of the meal.

As far as Disney opening a kosher restaurant, the upside is that anyone can eat there, it’s just that we can’t eat elsewhere. The downside is that it would have to be closed over the Sabbath and on our holidays. Many landlords like all of their stores to be open all operating hours.
They should certainly be able to provide better and fresher options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom