Kosher food in the parks is horrible

jaklgreen

Actually my thinking was they would bring in their own burners and tabletops. Or it is a least cooked that week, and brought in an reaheated buffett style, lol. Again, this is not something I would expect them to do even monthly but maybe for special holidays.

I can see them doing something like that at the Festival Center at Epcot. They need to find a permanent Kosher kitchen for those who travel there year round. Those meals looked horrible. Maybe it will be a case of, if they build it, they will come. I can imagine that some Kosher people just do not go because of the lack of food options.

KellBelle

I don’t have a lot of followers, if any, but I’ll try posting to Twitter and Instagram.
I am not very familiar with Instagram, but I would tweet that pic and some comments to @WDWToday on Twitter. I believe that will definitely be seen. Good luck, that just looked awful and as many have said, they should be ashamed.

Last edited:

ifan

I was shocked at how many orthodox families I saw 2 weeks ago at each of the parks (minus shabbat.) If I had to guess, it was probably 5-10% of the total magic kingdom and Epcot population during the week. In one attraction, there were 3 different unrelated jewish families sitting in the same row plus us non-orthodox jews. Is this something specific to the time of year? A promo? Jews just love disney? :)

For food - it seems like they all brought their all snacks. I'd see entire families standing against a wall sharing kosher snacks. Didn't even know there were kosher options in the restaurants.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Now I miss the Kosher deli near where I grew up. Disney should have one on property as well as a decent bagel place, they'd make a mint. Sorry for the hijack

JIMINYCR

Guess it's not a secret any more. Sad to find that out
Watch any of the restaurant fix it shows ( Ramsay/ Irvine etc. )and youll see all those secrets revealed. Its a wonder with the condition of the kitchens and the attitude of the chefs how some of those restaurants featured on TV dont kill people.

MickeyCB

I am not Jewish and would like to be educated regarding this.
If Disney had a kosher kitchen. Couldn't the food prepared there be for anyone to eat? (And Disney could charge the prices they do and turn a profit).
Or is that not how this works? Is there any reason non-Jewish people couldn't purchase food from there?

GinaD613

Original Poster
I was shocked at how many orthodox families I saw 2 weeks ago at each of the parks (minus shabbat.) If I had to guess, it was probably 5-10% of the total magic kingdom and Epcot population during the week. In one attraction, there were 3 different unrelated jewish families sitting in the same row plus us non-orthodox jews. Is this something specific to the time of year? A promo? Jews just love disney? :)

For food - it seems like they all brought their all snacks. I'd see entire families standing against a wall sharing kosher snacks. Didn't even know there were kosher options in the restaurants.
It was winter break for the yeshivas.

GinaD613

Original Poster
I am not Jewish and would like to be educated regarding this.
If Disney had a kosher kitchen. Couldn't the food prepared there be for anyone to eat? (And Disney could charge the prices they do and turn a profit).
Or is that not how this works? Is there any reason non-Jewish people couldn't purchase food from there?
Absolutely! Anyone can eat kosher food! However, to maintain kosher certification, the kitchen would have to be closed and locked on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.

John park hopper

Being totally ignorant of Jewish customs I take it that orthodox Jews would not visit the parks on Saturdays and Jewish holidays. Having a kosher certified kitchen closed at those times would not matter other than Disney would loose some revenue during closures. Seems like a doable thing to accommodate guests. Israel needs a pavilion in Epcot with a kosher restaurant like many of the other country pavilions have restaurants.

Lilofan

Being totally ignorant of Jewish customs I take it that orthodox Jews would not visit the parks on Saturdays and Jewish holidays. Having a kosher certified kitchen closed at those times would not matter other than Disney would loose some revenue during closures. Seems like a doable thing to accommodate guests. Israel needs a pavilion in Epcot with a kosher restaurant like many of the other country pavilions have restaurants.
When Epcot had World Showplace in the late 1990s, there were several lands represented including South Africa, Israel and Chile as examples. Israel has a merchandise location that sold dead sea beauty products and also had a live show with young Israelis dancing to modern pop music and singing Jewish songs. I remember seeing the show. It was obvious that there was a much more Disney security presence during the show in case any guest that could make a political outburst during the show.

John park hopper

When Epcot had World Showplace in the late 1990s, there were several lands represented including South Africa, Israel and Chile as examples. Israel has a merchandise location that sold dead sea beauty products and also had a live show with young Israelis dancing to modern pop music and singing Jewish songs. I remember seeing the show. It was obvious that there was a much more Disney security presence during the show in case any guest that could make a political outburst during the show.
Don't remember that but then again my memory isn't what it used to be

Phonedave

One other thing to consider is that having rabbinical supervision (to certify your kosher kitchen is indeed kosher) is not exactly cheap.

Minthorne

Wow!--$8.50 for a hot dog and a potato pancake (was it one) for that price they should supply a Rabbi at the table to bless it. Also sad you are having such a hard time finding quality food.

I realize the quality might not be as good - but the price seems inline with non-Kosher meals. Casey's Corner hot dog is:

All-Beef Hot Dog Meal
served with Apple Slices or French Fries

$9.99

and I know the Mighty Casey himself doesn't serve it to your table :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom