Kosher food in the parks is horrible

MickeyCB

Absolutely! Anyone can eat kosher food! However, to maintain kosher certification, the kitchen would have to be closed and locked on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.
Thanks for that information. And you would think Disney could have a kosher kitchen, close 1 day, and still turn a profit.
And I also see it as a great way to try different dishes.
I hope you had a great trip despite the culinary challenges.

Tom P.

Absolutely! Anyone can eat kosher food! However, to maintain kosher certification, the kitchen would have to be closed and locked on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.
I apologize for detouring the thread, but I am not Jewish and am genuinely curious. If the kitchen must be closed and locked on Saturdays, is that just for restaurant kitchens or are no meals permitted to be cooked at home either? Assuming Jews do not fast every single Saturday, I'm just wondering how you eat if you are unable to prepare any food.

Phonedave

I apologize for detouring the thread, but I am not Jewish and am genuinely curious. If the kitchen must be closed and locked on Saturdays, is that just for restaurant kitchens or are no meals permitted to be cooked at home either? Assuming Jews do not fast every single Saturday, I'm just wondering how you eat if you are unable to prepare any food.

I am not Jewish, so I may not get everything right here - but I did grown up in a very diverse community, I went to plenty of my friends bar mitzvahs as a kid, many model seders, and know quite a bit about it.

An observant Jew cannot work, nor cause work to be done (for the most part), on the Sabbath. They used to put a steel plate on top of the stove, set the burners to low, and put food on it to keep warm during the sabbath. You just served yourself from the pot. Needless to say, this has a habit of burning down houses. Many stoves can now be ordered with 'sabbath mode' that will automatically turn them on, keep food warm, and then turn them off. Of course you can just eat non-hot food as well. There is nothing against eating or food per se, it is about working.

An other example of no work is that you cannot use an elevator, because the pushing of the button is considered doing work. However some building have elevators that go into sabbath mode on Saturday. The stop at every floor, open the doors, close the doors, and move to the next floor. Those can be used because you are not doing any work, or causing any work, the elevator is going to do what it is doing anyway, you are just getting on and off.

A kosher kitchen is not as simple as just keeping milk and meat separate and not using pork or shellfish. Items have to be stored separately. A pan used to cook meat cannot be later used for dairy, even it has been washed. It can be cleansed by a rabbi, but its a religious thing, not a cleaning thing. A kosher kitchen is under rabbinical supervision and certification. Depending on the situation that may be as much as paying to have a rabbi on site during all working hours, and having to handle unexpected shut downs if something goes awry. My BIL manages a food packaging factory that does both kosher and non-kosher products. Maintaining a kosher line is just like maintaining an allergy free line. All it takes if for a worker to make a simple mistake and all production has to stop and things be cleaned or swapped out.

GinaD613

Original Poster
Thanks for that information. And you would think Disney could have a kosher kitchen, close 1 day, and still turn a profit.
And I also see it as a great way to try different dishes.
I hope you had a great trip despite the culinary challenges.
We did! A “bad” day at Disney is still better than a good day anywhere else! My DH enjoyed seeing Patrick Mahomes in the parade. I got to go on all the new rides that opened since our last trip (except Frozen Ever After).

GinaD613

Original Poster
It’s to prevent someone unknowledgeable from going in and messing up the system. In short, we are allowed to cook on holidays, as long as the stove and oven were turned on before the holiday started. On the Sabbath we eat food that was cooked ahead of time and is kept warm over a low flame or on a food warmer. The laws are detailed and different folks do some things in a variety of ways, and it’s beyond the scope of this thread and my personal expertise. If you’re interested, you can google it, but I can’t vouch for the reliability of every web site. You can also contact your local competent Orthodox rabbi. I hope that made some sense.

GinaD613

Original Poster
I am not Jewish, so I may not get everything right here - but I did grown up in a very diverse community, I went to plenty of my friends bar mitzvahs as a kid, many model seders, and know quite a bit about it.

An observant Jew cannot work, nor cause work to be done (for the most part), on the Sabbath. They used to put a steel plate on top of the stove, set the burners to low, and put food on it to keep warm during the sabbath. You just served yourself from the pot. Needless to say, this has a habit of burning down houses. Many stoves can now be ordered with 'sabbath mode' that will automatically turn them on, keep food warm, and then turn them off. Of course you can just eat non-hot food as well. There is nothing against eating or food per se, it is about working.

An other example of no work is that you cannot use an elevator, because the pushing of the button is considered doing work. However some building have elevators that go into sabbath mode on Saturday. The stop at every floor, open the doors, close the doors, and move to the next floor. Those can be used because you are not doing any work, or causing any work, the elevator is going to do what it is doing anyway, you are just getting on and off.

A kosher kitchen is not as simple as just keeping milk and meat separate and not using pork or shellfish. Items have to be stored separately. A pan used to cook meat cannot be later used for dairy, even it has been washed. It can be cleansed by a rabbi, but its a religious thing, not a cleaning thing. A kosher kitchen is under rabbinical supervision and certification. Depending on the situation that may be as much as paying to have a rabbi on site during all working hours, and having to handle unexpected shut downs if something goes awry. My BIL manages a food packaging factory that does both kosher and non-kosher products. Maintaining a kosher line is just like maintaining an allergy free line. All it takes if for a worker to make a simple mistake and all production has to stop and things be cleaned or swapped out.
You are quite “observant “ yourself!

For the purposes of this thread, your answer is close enough.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom