Kosher food in the parks is horrible

JIMINYCR

Sooo sad you are having to experience such poor dining choices since thats normally a huge part of a trips itinerary and what guests look forward to when at Disney. I'm wondering if theres any Jewish group or organization involved in the travel industry or has influence that you could also communicate with that might back you up and get Disney to take this issue more seriously.

Club Cooloholic

Sooo sad you are having to experience such poor dining choices since thats normally a huge part of a trips itinerary and what guests look forward to when at Disney. I'm wondering if theres any Jewish group or organization involved in the travel industry or has influence that you could also communicate with that might back you up and get Disney to take this issue more seriously.
It seems Disney might be missing a big opportunity. I would think that a group could get together, have enough people book a package and arrange for a Rabbi, and real Kosher Catering team to come and do some dinners at set times at set restaurants. Obviously this would not be a year round thing, but seems to me it could be a win win for both Kosher keeping guests and Disney.

eliza61nyc

It seems Disney might be missing a big opportunity. I would think that a group could get together, have enough people book a package and arrange for a Rabbi, and real Kosher Catering team to come and do some dinners at set times at set restaurants. Obviously this would not be a year round thing, but seems to me it could be a win win for both Kosher keeping guests and Disney.

I think it really boils down to numbers. If 56K visit the MK every day (just pulled the numbers off of google) how many % wise need Kosher meals. Remember Disney likes big profit numbers. if they only have 1% of it's visitors that would take advantage, they probably aren't going to think it's worth it.

that being said, I almost wish they would just say they didn't offer a Kosher meal instead of serving that stuff the poor op got. at lease that way anyone who wanted to keep kosher would know in advance that they had to either bring their own or go offsite.

Club Cooloholic

I think it really boils down to numbers. If 56K visit the MK every day (just pulled the numbers off of google) how many % wise need Kosher meals. Remember Disney likes big profit numbers. if they only have 1% of it's visitors that would take advantage, they probably aren't going to think it's worth it.

that being said, I almost wish they would just say they didn't offer a Kosher meal instead of serving that stuff the poor op got. at lease that way anyone who wanted to keep kosher would know in advance that they had to either bring their own or go offsite.
Oh I agree, but we have seen Disney cater to specific things before. Like I said, not an everyday thing, but maybe 5 days out of the year, they could do it(especially if the organizer worked with Disney on the logistics, and it was as simple for Disney, "here are the restaurants our group will be at at these hours and here is the catering group we would like(I imagine they could bring in all the Kosher food, probably even some portable burners etc...)

RememberWhen

I would love to see a Disney Passover package. (There’s a lot of extra rules about food and an enormous amount of cleaning and preparation that go into getting ready for passover). If my family could just show up and have good kosher-for-passover food at Disney I would shell out big bucks. At least every couple of years.

GinaD613

Original Poster
I would love to see a Disney Passover package. (There’s a lot of extra rules about food and an enormous amount of cleaning and preparation that go into getting ready for passover). If my family could just show up and have good kosher-for-passover food at Disney I would shell out big bucks. At least every couple of years.
Disney provides kosher for Passover meals. That would only help you during chol hamoed. There are several Passover programs in Orlando that provide all meals. You could probably book one for this year.

GinaD613

Original Poster
We had lunch at ABC Commissary today. Here are both sides of the menu. Note the difference in how the halal and kosher items are described.

When we reached the cashier, she checked with the chef to see which meals were in stock. I had wanted the hot dog, and DH wanted the Mac and cheese. The only thing available was the burger.

Attachments

• 76786C4B-FED1-4955-AF6F-4E143B762A5B.jpeg
    76786C4B-FED1-4955-AF6F-4E143B762A5B.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 1210ADFA-DE8F-4C13-BEE6-D7F047F9CD52.jpeg
    1210ADFA-DE8F-4C13-BEE6-D7F047F9CD52.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 178

John park hopper

Wow!--$8.50 for a hot dog and a potato pancake (was it one) for that price they should supply a Rabbi at the table to bless it. Also sad you are having such a hard time finding quality food.

RememberWhen

Disney provides kosher for Passover meals. That would only help you during chol hamoed. There are several Passover programs in Orlando that provide all meals. You could probably book one for this year.
I know. We’re not observant enough to feel comfortable in those sorts of programs. Thanks though!

GinaD613

Original Poster
I heard that kosher food if reheated has to be in a kosher only microwave. Can anyone confirm?
If the food is double-wrapped, it can be reheated in a non kosher oven. These meals had a plastic seal over the tray, and were then placed inside a plastic bag , that was then sealed.

jaklgreen

The problem with that is you can't just cook kosher in any kitchen. Kosher is very specific and you basically need a double kitchen. Things like meat and dairy can not even be stored in the same cooler or be prepared on the same counter. It is not as easy as some may think. I live in a medium sized city and there are no Kosher restaurants here. We have 1 bagel shop that is Kosher certified, that's it. We don't know the number of strictly Kosher guests that WDW gets. But I agree that they can do better. They can at least build 1 central Kosher kitchen to be used as needed. Having old, microwave meals at those prices is unacceptable. OP, Disney tends to monitor social media like Twitter. I would post those pictures and your experience tagging them. That might get a bit more momentum then just emailing them.

Club Cooloholic

The problem with that is you can't just cook kosher in any kitchen. Kosher is very specific and you basically need a double kitchen. Things like meat and dairy can not even be stored in the same cooler or be prepared on the same counter. It is not as easy as some may think. I live in a medium sized city and there are no Kosher restaurants here. We have 1 bagel shop that is Kosher certified, that's it. We don't know the number of strictly Kosher guests that WDW gets. But I agree that they can do better. They can at least build 1 central Kosher kitchen to be used as needed. Having old, microwave meals at those prices is unacceptable. OP, Disney tends to monitor social media like Twitter. I would post those pictures and your experience tagging them. That might get a bit more momentum then just emailing them.
Actually my thinking was they would bring in their own burners and tabletops. Or it is a least cooked that week, and brought in an reaheated buffett style, lol. Again, this is not something I would expect them to do even monthly but maybe for special holidays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom