Kingdom Hearts Ride

ImagineerFan04

I just bought a PS2 with the money i got over the holidays. then i got kingdom hearts on saturday. The game is awsome. when i was watching the first video i was thinking this would make a great movie or ride.

at the moment i'm at the world Deep jungle and i found the gorilas.

Wilt Dasney

Just to play devil's advocate on MartyMouse's behalf...

It's not denigrating everyone who plays video games to say that the community at large has the attention span of a tsetse fly, it's simply the way it is.

Having killed many a braincell in my youth with video games, I can think of several examples where something that had the gaming community frothing at the mouth for a while now lies buried under a thick layer of pop culture dust. Technologies change, popular tastes change, and yesterday's "greatest thing ever" quickly become's today's "Oh yeah, I remember that." (Granted, this happens in every facet of the entertainment industry, but as someone who used to follow the gaming world pretty closely and who has witnessed a good few examples of such upheaval in which games are "hot" within my short lifetime, I've felt the effects of this trend more in the area of video games than in others.)

Defending the institution of gaming is one thing...everybody uses something to kill the hours, and certain games out there are far more intellectually stimulating than channel surfing. But to deny that the industry and primary consumers of games change tastes about as often as they change sweaters....well, you might as well deny that it's cold in Boston this week. :)

Grim Grinner

Mmmmm Laser Tag

I've been playing various Laser Tag sports for most of my life. In fact, this year will be year number 8 that I'll be on a Laser Quest national team.

In this regard, a laser tag system is already seeing use in rides like Buzz Lightyear and Men in Black.

A dark ride like Pirates or Haunted Mansion would serve the Kingdom Hearts storyline quite well. In case it hasn't been outlined-

Something called the Heartless is devouring worlds one by one. Sora, a young boy discovers that his world is not unique and that they are part of a network of planets (each themed to a specific Disney world). Mickey, ruler of the land goes off to solve the mystery, but disappears. His two loyal members of his court, Donald and Goofy head off on a quest to save him. In the course of the adventure they meet up with Sora, who pursues his friend Riku who has been kidnapped by the Heartless.

Other things of note- the Dalmation's puppies have gone missing. Someone is capturing the Disney Princesses for nefarious purposes, and... Monstro is pretty big on the inside!

One last thing- videogames are like movies. There's something for everyone. I wouldn't let my kids (if I had any) watch every movie, just as I wouldn't let them play every game. Encapsulating one form of entertainment into a single bias is a folly of the greatest magnitude.

Zooropa

Originally posted by Grim Grinner
For those of you who did not know- I used to work on a videogame magazine called Electronic Gaming Monthly. (I was with them 10 years until being laid-off).
Interesting. I've been a long time reader of that magazine since I was a kid. Can you tell me who you are? Because there's a good chance I might remember you if you were part of the writing staff.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney people think Kingdom Hearts is this huge thing - its not. It has little name recognition - even in Disney core audiences.

It was a successful video game but is never going to be a 'classic' or memorial game because it was just a rehash of existing stuff. It wasn't a ground breaker - it wasn't a blow-out hit that crossed genres and opened new territory, etc. Even in the gaming world - its not going to be a memorable game.

Then take a niche like the gaming world and think how wide the recognition is outside that world... about zilch.

And video games don't have long legs for history like movies do. Games are constantly being replaced and only a handful have retro-appeal, 10-15-20 years later.

TheBeatles

I don't mind either way if it was made into an attraction or not.

On one hand, there is a secluded audience who like KH.

on the other hand...

Why not make a KH attraction. SM was based on 'Song of the South' and I don't believe that had a huge audience in the late 1980s.

Disneyfan1981

Why not make a KH attraction. SM was based on 'Song of the South' and I don't believe that had a huge audience in the late 1980s.

Bingo. Just because the original intellectual property didn't blow box office windows out or sell like Halo 3 doesn't mean a great ride could come of it. I love this game and am interested to see the Master Replicas replicas of the game and wouldn't mind at least seeing Donald and/or Goofy making an appearance in KH gear.

TheDisneyMagic

Very well put together RCT3 video, I enjoyed watching that, when I get some spare time I am going to try and building something as big as that.

Thiger

KH would make an amazing ride as they contain several disney worlds. It could work as a thrill ride, a 'snow white dark ride or even a 3d movie (much like how philharmagic combines many disney 'worlds').

heck, you could even make a version like Soarin'

Captain Chaos

Just watched the videos... awesome... however, I don't think a roller coaster is the way this ride should go.... A dark ride would be fun.... Your vehicle brings you through scenes from the game, on the same adventure Sora, Donald, and Goofy go on... You see the trio battling the Heartless, you travel to each world, in order the game goes, you watch them battle the enemy bosses... You watch them rescue King Mickey.... Yea... a dark ride would be best... and NOT INTERACTIVE!!!!!!

CJR

Hey, I would love it. Put it in the empty 20K area and I'm all for it! As a ride, It would be awesome. I would make a it a semi-thrill though as I believe KoH is fast-paced. Although I have played or even seen it in a long time.

THECARISMINE

Disney people think Kingdom Hearts is this huge thing - its not. It has little name recognition - even in Disney core audiences.
It was a successful video game but is never going to be a 'classic' or memorial game because it was just a rehash of existing stuff. It wasn't a ground breaker - it wasn't a blow-out hit that crossed genres and opened new territory, etc. Even in the gaming world - its not going to be a memorable game.

Then take a niche like the gaming world and think how wide the recognition is outside that world... about zilch.

And video games don't have long legs for history like movies do. Games are constantly being replaced and only a handful have retro-appeal, 10-15-20 years later.

:brick:
You are almost right here, this game was groundbreaking for the simple fact that when it was first released gamer’s world round hand almost instantly put a failure mark on it but it did the complete opposite and became one of the biggest surprises in the gaming world’s history, and it will never be forgotten because of how surprising it was. Now look past that the series has grown huge, I doubt it will ever grow as big as say Final Fantasy but the series is FAR from over, three more sequels are being made right now, a incredibly complex Cell phone game with full cut scenes and everything, one on the DS and one on the PSP which is going to make the games story even more complex backtracking the series' past with Mickey's training etc. It would not surprise me at all if the series was still running in some form 10-15 years from now. The game is a "classic" in the gaming world; please name one game for me that crossed franchises and was as successful, you'll never find one...
:D

raiden

I cant believe they havent capitalized on this franchise yet. I would think japan would get some KH ride before we would though. I was a bit surprised when I went to the studios in one mans dream they had a poster and game for KH in the corner of the room.

Cmdr_Crimson

I cant believe they havent capitalized on this franchise yet. I would think japan would get some KH ride before we would though. I was a bit surprised when I went to the studios in one mans dream they had a poster and game for KH in the corner of the room.

Yeah they did...although not so big..During the 2004 MNSSHP they promoted Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories for Game Boy Advanced. I was lucky to get a chance to get Pics of Sora,Donald & Goofy.
sora1.jpg

sora3.jpg

But going back to the subject..I'd say not an Attraction but more of a nightime show like Fantasmic...I had a post about it..Not too many knew what I was talking about..http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=205921

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom