Kingdom Hearts Ride

Zooropa

Originally posted by MartyMouse
Kingdom Hearts is a great game, but I don’t see anything happening with the parks. The video game market is so short lived, the people who buy video games have the attention span of an 8 year old, if it isn’t the newest new thing then it gets lumped into the old crap box never to be heard from again.
Disney would be making a mistake with a Kingdom Hearts game because in 5 years this conversation will take place –
“Kingdom Hearts??? What’s that??”
“I think it was a video game or something.”
“Oh well, who cares, lets go home and play “Blood Thirsty Mothers Part VI : Baby Killer” on my Play Station 3”
As you can see, you've offended a few people who take video games seriously as an art form. I'm not going to rip into your statement too much, as I have a feeling it was made out of ignorance not spite. Squaresoft has made video games that are every bit as good as good Disney movies. What you said is the main problem with video games becoming as widely accepted as films or books as forms of entertainment. Too many people (mostly older who didn't grow up with games) still see video games as "kid's stuff" when in fact games moved past that point several years ago.

To get on topic, I don't think we'll see a Kingdom Hearts attraction simply because the majority of people who come to MK wouldn't be familiar with Kingdom Hearts. It would make for a great ride, but not enough people would know the backstory.

GServo84

Originally posted by Zooropa
As you can see, you've offended a few people who take video games seriously as an art form. I'm not going to rip into your statement too much, as I have a feeling it was made out of ignorance not spite. Squaresoft has made video games that are every bit as good as good Disney movies. What you said is the main problem with video games becoming as widely accepted as films or books as forms of entertainment. Too many people (mostly older who didn't grow up with games) still see video games as "kid's stuff" when in fact games moved past that point several years ago.

To get on topic, I don't think we'll see a Kingdom Hearts attraction simply because the majority of people who come to MK wouldn't be familiar with Kingdom Hearts. It would make for a great ride, but not enough people would know the backstory.

Well said. Props to Zooropa.
Welcome to the forum, BTW.

Zooropa

Originally posted by GServo84
Well said. Props to Zooropa.
Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Thanks. I can't believe there's a "Kill Bill" sighting here in this forum (your avatar). Well, I guess technically it is Disney related (Miramax). What do you think of the news that they pushed Vol 2 back to April? I was quite livid when I heard the news myself (Weinstein...hmph!)

As for Kingdom Hearts, isn't a sequel currently in the works? I thought I heard recently that it is due to come out in 2004 or 2005.

GServo84

Originally posted by Zooropa
Thanks. I can't believe there's a "Kill Bill" sighting here in this forum (your avatar). Well, I guess technically it is Disney related (Miramax). What do you think of the news that they pushed Vol 2 back to April? I was quite livid when I heard the news myself (Weinstein...hmph!)

As for Kingdom Hearts, isn't a sequel currently in the works? I thought I heard recently that it is due to come out in 2004 or 2005.

FINALLY, SOMEONE WHO "GETS" MY AVATAR.

Anyway, I was mad that they split it into two movies in the first place. I hate the fact that they pushed it back also.

And yes, Kingdom Hearts 2 will be released in Japan late this year and hopefully in the US by early 2005. <i>Why must I be tortured?</i> *tear*

And for your comment on not many people knowing the story, we'll MAKE them know. Put in a nice intro and preshow. My brothers rode Tower of Terror before knowing what <u>The Twilight Zone</u> even was. Preshows are yummy.

Zooropa

And for your comment on not many people knowing the story, we'll MAKE them know. Put in a nice intro and preshow. My brothers rode Tower of Terror before knowing what <u>The Twilight Zone</u> even was. Preshows are yummy.
I have to admit, it would be totally cool to go on a ride at MK that involved Square characters. Even if they were just briefly involved, it would be great to spot Cloud, Squall, Sephiroth, and so on. Of course, you would have to involve Donald, Goofy, and the rest too, but it could balance out well.

GServo84

I've got it!!!

Why the heck won't Square Enix put a KH ride in Tokyo Disneyland? It... Just... Makes... So... Much... Sense!!!!!
I.. can't... be... lieve... I'm... talking... like... How... ard... Cos... ell!!!

BTW, Zoo. Did you post your completion stats in the video game forum?

Shaman

Originally posted by SirGoofy
ALL VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT LIKE GRAND THEFT AUTO!:fork:

I agree...but I'll admit...Vice City is an awesome game...:lookaroun

If there is something I hate is censorship...I think there are games out there for everyone...

But I understand Martymouse's point, an individual game doesn't have the effect of a movie...games come and go...once a gamer wins it chances are they won't play it again (unless the game is real real good)....

I doubt that Disney will build a ride based on a video game (atleast for now)...but after playing kingdom hearts, I have to admit that it would make for an interesting attraction....

:)

Grim Grinner

There were many more Final Fantasy games than that. You forgot Mystic Quest which was for Super NES. The original GameBoy titles were in fact the Seiken Densetsu series- but released here as part of the Final Fantasy series. Then there's all of the Origins, Chronicles, and Anthology discs- so there's many ways to count games for these.

For those of you who did not know- I used to work on a videogame magazine called Electronic Gaming Monthly. (I was with them 10 years until being laid-off). When I visited Square's offices in Japan, I met with the president of the company and noted all of the Disney drawings. At the time, it was said that they were designing a ride for DisneySeas (which was being built) This was Sept. 2000.... Kingdom Hearts was not even announced at this point. Flashforward to May of next year at E3 when it was announced- Kingdom Hearts was most likely not coming to the States because of the lack of interest in the US. This prompted me to buy an import version to play through...

When Square brought it to my offices, they did repeat that a ride/animated movie would be based off of it.

Kingdom Hearts is part of the Greatest Hits series, meaning it has sold above a certain volume. Working the retail side of the industry, I can attest to the sales of this game really flourishing.

The sequel looks really cool- and Stitch is rumored to be a summoning.... Heh.

As a side note- I was given a cool little Keyblade with the word Kingdom Hearts stenciled on it.

JBSLJames

Here you go from a novice 'gamer' having only just bought PS2, our game collection consists of Jak and Daxter, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, and...Barbie Horse something or other:lookaroun (i do have two daughters under the age of 8). Which brings me to my question, Is this game suited for kids (girls) under the age of 8? Is it too difficult for someone that age?

I have to admit, I really like Jak & Daxter and Crash and look forward to getting Return of the King for myself but time doesn't allow me to play the games as ofter as I might like.

I think it may be that kind of dis-connect between the games and most older adults (wife and kids, work, PTA, after school commitments) that would make it hard to justify a ride patterned after a game. They just wouldn't be familiar with it.

Just a thought.

Jusjuice

I think the game was GREAT, but I don't think it would translate well into a disney theme-park ride. Not only would there be lots of backstory to tell, the average guest would want to know why all of the movies took place on little planets, when they just rode the rides in Fantasyland. Japan is another story, although I don't think the ride would fit all that well in the MK. The only place I would see a KH ride would be MGM, and that's not likely, considering Disney has so many unsused properties right now. I don't think a video game is on the top of their list.

NashvilleMouse

My wife won't let me get a PS2. I only get to play games on the computer. :cry: Is this game available on CD-ROM so I can see what all the hype is? It sounds pretty cool from the postings and must be if people want a ride based off it.

I am in to Roller Coaster Tycoon. I know Disney had some kind of Roller Coaster game. Has anyone built any Disney attractions on Roller Coaster Tycoon and would be willing to share their coaster file? :sohappy:

GServo84

Originally posted by objr
But I understand Martymouse's point, an individual game doesn't have the effect of a movie...games come and go...once a gamer wins it chances are they won't play it again (unless the game is real real good)....
:)

Just ask any college student who Sephiroth is. About 4 in 5 will tell you who he is. ;)

GServo84

Originally posted by NashvilleMouse
My wife won't let me get a PS2. I only get to play games on the computer. :cry: Is this game available on CD-ROM so I can see what all the hype is? It sounds pretty cool from the postings and must be if people want a ride based off it.

I am in to Roller Coaster Tycoon. I know Disney had some kind of Roller Coaster game. Has anyone built any Disney attractions on Roller Coaster Tycoon and would be willing to share their coaster file? :sohappy:

Sorry, only on PS2. And there's a group which likes to trade that stuff on the Video Game forums. Just go there and ask.

Shaman

Just ask any college student who Sephiroth is. About 4 in 5 will tell you who he is. ;)

Then I guess I would be the 1 out of 4 that didn't know....

:hammer:

JBSLJames

I think that there in lies the rub. College students are not known for their abundance of disposable income. Disney World thrives and survives on families coming down for weeks and spending lots of $$$$.

I think Confuse-us said it best: He ain't got no license, Lisa.

Just substitute money for license, Gary.

GServo84

Originally posted by JBSLJames
I think that there in lies the rub. College students are not known for their abundance of disposable income. Disney World thrives and survives on families coming down for weeks and spending lots of $$$$.

I think Confuse-us said it best: He ain't got no license, Lisa.

Just substitute money for license, Gary.

As Doc Brown Says: "You're not thinking 4th dimensionally"

These college students will one day have families. Then they will start spending cash fir a KH ride. And their kids, they'll pick up the re-release of Final Fantasies in years ahead. Just like my brothers did with FF Chronicles, Anthologies, and Origins. They don't even remember before N64. That's how far it stretches.

One more thing, my 45 year old uncle plays KH along with his 10 year old daughter.

JBSLJames

Good Point. College students will eventually become productive members of society :lol: But as for this graduate, Real life catches up to you and 'gaming' time is greatly reduced. From my era, I do not recall any theme parks coming out with Missile Command the Ride, or Space Invaders the Experience. Though I probably would have ridden Ms. Pac Man:lookaroun

GServo84

Originally posted by JBSLJames
Good Point. College students will eventually become productive members of society :lol: But as for this graduate, Real life catches up to you and 'gaming' time is greatly reduced. From my era, I do not recall any theme parks coming out with Missile Command the Ride, or Space Invaders the Experience. Though I probably would have ridden Ms. Pac Man:lookaroun

Your innuendo is infinitely excellent. Although I have problems with it as Mrs. Pac-Man is notorious for munching things.

And those Atari games never had the storyline of today's games. They were repetitive and droning. But I never said they weren't fun as hell.

And for the parents of tomorrow, they may still not play the games, but they will always <u>remember</u> them. As you have just shown.

SirGoofy

Original Poster
Grim Grinner you are my hero!Working for EGM must have been awsome! And getting to meet Square's president, wow!:D

You also brought up a good point. They were planning on a ride/movie long before the game came out and became a success, so anything is possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom