Kinda bummed about the DTD McD's that's closing

hrcollectibles

Sorry, the world [not just Disney World] could do without McDonalds or fast food of any kind.

Might slow down the obesity rates in the population.

I'd be happy if Disney got rid of all QS and built enough TS to actually feed real food to everybody with realistic portions instead of the hugely ridiculous sized portions they serve now.

They could make the portions smaller and those that wanted more could purchase nother meal.. More money for the mouse.. I do admit the portions are rather large and who wants to carry around left overs all day at the park....I really do wish Disney would make their portions reasonable...

WDW Vacationer

It was unique,but really....if you are in WDW,how could it be your first choice?

There's one near All Star's. Go there.

Oh,whoever said "American cuisine" gave America a REALLY bad name.

$crooge McDuck

Sorry, the world [not just Disney World] could do without McDonalds or fast food of any kind.

I'd be happy if Disney got rid of all QS and built enough TS to actually feed real food to everybody with realistic portions instead of the hugely ridiculous sized portions they serve now.

At least the portions seem somewhat commiserate to the price - I think it's obvious that if portion size drops, price won't follow suit.

That's one of the main reasons I wanted the DxDP, I want to spend my vacation eating better quality, different food, not moving from counter to counter eating the same basic fast-food style stuff I'll have on the trip home, at home, every other point where I'm not on a vacation.

Disneygal24

Original Poster
:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the parenting response - but it wasn't needed. My kids do try different things - hence how I know they won't eat the sandwiches at Earl and again we don't do TS at DTD usually. McD's at DTD was convenient for us - that's all. I have no intention of renting a car to make a McD's run.

~Amanda

NewfieFan

:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the parenting response - but it wasn't needed. My kids do try different things - hence how I know they won't eat the sandwiches at Earl and again we don't do TS at DTD usually. McD's at DTD was convenient for us - that's all. I have no intention of renting a car to make a McD's run.

~Amanda

Try Wolfgang Puck Express in Marketplace! Have you been!?! It's a combination of TS and CS. You order your own meal but then you sit down and someone brings it to you. We love it and so do our kids. Now my kids are adventurous eaters but they like the "typical" kid fare sometimes as well. Here's the menu copied from Allears...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kid's Menu[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
includes a fountain drink or milk
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Crispy Chicken Fingers with French Fries $6.95
Linguini with Tomato Sauce $6.95
Cheese Pizza $6.95
Pepperoni Pizza $6.95
Cheese Quesadilla $6.
[/FONT]

My son loves the pizza and my daughter the pasta!​

Disneygal24

Original Poster
Try Wolfgang Puck Express in Marketplace! Have you been!?! It's a combination of TS and CS. You order your own meal but then you sit down and someone brings it to you. We love it and so do our kids. Now my kids are adventurous eaters but they like the "typical" kid fare sometimes as well. Here's the menu copied from Allears...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kid's Menu[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]includes a fountain drink or milk[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Crispy Chicken Fingers with French Fries $6.95[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Linguini with Tomato Sauce $6.95[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cheese Pizza $6.95[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pepperoni Pizza $6.95[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cheese Quesadilla $6.[/FONT]

My son loves the pizza and my daughter the pasta!​

No we've never eaten there - is it in the marketplace?

~Amanda

Scooter

The great thing about eating out is the diversity. Thats what makes America great...you have choices. If you like chicken, steaks, vegetarian, Vegan, sea food, or fast food it is your option to choose where to eat. How dare anyone condem McDonalds for their menu. It's been the choice of Millions of people for 30+ years. If you don't like it don't eat there but don't try and tell me or anyone else that it's poison or inedible. People have been eating McDonalds fast food for years and some really Love going there on occasion, myself included.
There's nothing wrong with McDonalds food. As a former USDA Meat Inspector I can tell yout that the quality is above and beyond most food you can buy in your local supermarket.
So before you blast Fast food, please know what you are talking about.

lebeau

Personally, I don't like McDonald's. I don't eat a lot of fast food, but if I want a burger, I'll go to Wendy's any day.

The last thing in the world I want to do is eat at McDonald's when I'm at Disney World. However, I totally get why people choose to do so. My 4-year-old daughter would welcome a familiar happy meal after a week of eating unfamilar foods.

Yeah, there's lots of places to go for nuggets and fries. But to a picky four-year-old, different chicken nuggets are practically alien substances.

(Although Wolfgang Puck's serves the smiley-face fries which my daughter likes more than the nuggets. So that is a good substitute for us. And daddy can get a barbeque chicken pizza. Mmmmmm....)

Anyway, my point is, McDonald's serves a purpose for a lot of tourists. And while I don't personally want to eat there on vacation, I totally get why some people do.

WDW_Emily

Some kids need food that reminds them of home though. Yes McDonald's wouldn't be my number one place to go in the world. When my sister was 4ish she loved McDonald's. so if we went out to eat, she would only eat McDonald's Nuggets and fries and she could tell the difference. I do agree McDonalds in unhealthy though and the new place sounds a lot better

NewfieFan

No we've never eaten there - is it in the marketplace?

~Amanda

Yes, it is... kind of behind the Disney Christmas store! They have indoor and outdoor seating. You order your food and then you're given a number to put on your table. When you order is ready someone brings it out and then takes the number off your table. I like being able to have a quick meal and have someone bring it to me too! :animwink:

njDizFan

The great thing about eating out is the diversity. Thats what makes America great...you have choices. If you like chicken, steaks, vegetarian, Vegan, sea food, or fast food it is your option to choose where to eat. How dare anyone condem McDonalds for their menu. It's been the choice of Millions of people for 30+ years. If you don't like it don't eat there but don't try and tell me or anyone else that it's poison or inedible. People have been eating McDonalds fast food for years and some really Love going there on occasion, myself included.
There's nothing wrong with McDonalds food. As a former USDA Meat Inspector I can tell yout that the quality is above and beyond most food you can buy in your local supermarket.
So before you blast Fast food, please know what you are talking about.
“The ingredients listed in the flyer suggest a lot of thought goes into a nugget, that and a lot of corn. Of the thirty-eight ingredients it takes to make a McNugget, I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn: the corn-fed chicken itself; modified cornstarch (to bind the pulverized chicken meat); mono-, tri-, and diglycerides (emulsifiers, which keep the fats and water from separating); dextrose; lecithin (another emulsifier); chicken broth (to restore some of the flavor that processing leeches out); yellow corn flour and more modified cornstarch (for the batter); cornstarch (a filler); vegetable shortening; partially hydrogenated corn oil; and citric acid as a preservative. A couple of other plants take part in the nugget: There's some wheat in the batter, and on any given day the hydrogenated oil could come from soybeans, canola, or cotton rather than corn, depending on the market price and availability.

According to the handout, McNuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. These chemicals are what make modern processed food possible, by keeping the organic materials in them from going bad or looking strange after months in the freezer or on the road. Listed first are the "leavening agents": sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, and calcium lactate. These are antioxidants added to keep the various animal and vegetable fats involved in a nugget from turning rancid. Then there are "anti-foaming agents" like dimethylpolysiloxene, added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry. The problem is evidently grave enough to warrant adding a toxic chemical to the food: According to the Handbook of Food Additives, dimethylpolysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable. But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill.”

not to mention the 520 calories and 23 grams of fat. Sure they are quick and easy, but really, we did okay back in the dark ages(70's) before the wide spread fast food nation mentality.

RiversideBunny

Stay out of Tim Horton's, Monty.
:animwink:

Phonedave

“The ingredients listed in the flyer suggest a lot of thought goes into a nugget, that and a lot of corn. Of the thirty-eight ingredients it takes to make a McNugget, I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn: the corn-fed chicken itself; modified cornstarch (to bind the pulverized chicken meat); mono-, tri-, and diglycerides (emulsifiers, which keep the fats and water from separating); dextrose; lecithin (another emulsifier); chicken broth (to restore some of the flavor that processing leeches out); yellow corn flour and more modified cornstarch (for the batter); cornstarch (a filler); vegetable shortening; partially hydrogenated corn oil; and citric acid as a preservative. A couple of other plants take part in the nugget: There's some wheat in the batter, and on any given day the hydrogenated oil could come from soybeans, canola, or cotton rather than corn, depending on the market price and availability.

According to the handout, McNuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. These chemicals are what make modern processed food possible, by keeping the organic materials in them from going bad or looking strange after months in the freezer or on the road. Listed first are the "leavening agents": sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, and calcium lactate. These are antioxidants added to keep the various animal and vegetable fats involved in a nugget from turning rancid. Then there are "anti-foaming agents" like dimethylpolysiloxene, added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry. The problem is evidently grave enough to warrant adding a toxic chemical to the food: According to the Handbook of Food Additives, dimethylpolysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable. But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill.”

not to mention the 520 calories and 23 grams of fat. Sure they are quick and easy, but really, we did okay back in the dark ages(70's) before the wide spread fast food nation mentality.

While all true, it's also a touch alarmist.

To go so far as to call chicken meat derived from corn ?

Heck, we might as well say it's mainly made from earth, as thats where the corn comes from.

I would like to see the author, with complete access to any lab he or she so wishes, take a pile of corn and turn it into chicken meat.

As far as sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate being made in a petrol plant, not hardly. They are chemical levening agents - otherwise known as 'baking powder'

While I fully agree that McNuggets are not something that should be part of a daily diet, they are not as bad as the above makes them out to me.

Alarmists can make just about anything look worse than it is. Here is a write up on a really bad chemical that is all around us.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

-dave

njDizFan

^^^ agreed. everynight on the news something else in our food is giving us cancer. Cant just eat raw broccoli all day but basically what the article is saying is that the chicken is the filler not the other way around.

And 38 different ingredients to bread a piece of chicken? This is chemically engineered food and it is addictive.

slappy magoo

I can understand the mentality behind not wanting to eat at a McDonald's in general, and especially when at WDW. I can also understand wanting to make your kids expand their palate beyond fast-food muck. But you know what? When you have a kid who feels out of his or her element - not at home, unfamiliar surroundings, loud noises, so many strangers, sleep patterns perhaps disturbed, and hot Hot HOT!!! - and that kid isn't eating because everything seems different, and I'm not exaggerating they are literally not eating anything because it all seems alien to them, so they're getting weak and they're wilting in the sun, and the one thing that's making them act normal is the familiar sign of the golden arches, and you know, YOU JUST KNOW, they'd eat a cheeseburger or McNuggets and fries and then you can get on with your day...yeah, I can understand why some people might be sad to see the McD's go.

Not me. But some people.

The new chicken place seems interesting. I would've been happy with a Chipotle.

Wilt Dasney

Are the McDonalds fry carts still in the parks these days? Fries don't make a meal, but maybe it would help on the comfort food front. :shrug:

MissM

Are the McDonalds fry carts still in the parks these days? Fries don't make a meal, but maybe it would help on the comfort food front. :shrug:
No and haven't been for some time. The fry cart in Frontierland for example was renovated and expanded at least a year ago now to serve up chicken nuggets and a few other quick items.

No more McDonald's. Which is a shame as I really dislike them but I do like their fries. They're always crap in the restaurants though but they were always fresh in the parks. It was the only place to get really awesome, hot, fresh McDonald's fries in the world I think.

In all my times in WDW or rather DTD I only ever ate at McD's once as a last resort. When I'm at WDW the last thing I want is McDonalds. i'm excited about this new place cause I've never heard of it before(I live in NJ). Looking foward to trying it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom