killer rock concert!

DisJosh

Well this is a bit diferent than a concert...it was a small club. The building went up in a matter of 3 minutes. I've been hearing the pyro wasn't even approved by the club owners. It's been confirmed by other club owners that Great White has recently played at that they used Pyro without permision. It was only a matter of time before this happened. :(

EthylCooper

The most recent news story I read ( here ) said that 4 nightclubs claimed that they had used pyrotechnics without permission, but that several others (no number given) said that they had been asked for permission. The quoted club said they had asked them not to use pyrotechnics, and the band complied with no problems. From what little information I've read so far, it sounds more like miscommunication than malice. I'm sure we'll see the news on what charges are brought if the band or the manager or the club is found to be at fault by investigators.

In the meantime I'm just keeping a kind thought for all those people's friends and families and hoping that this makes people a little more cautious in the future.

And darthdarrel, Great White plays hard rock/heavy metal. They were one of the "hair bands" of the late 80s. If you've heard anything by them, it was probably their cover of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" or maybe "Save Your Love". (Edit: You also may have seen them performing in the Ally Sheedy movie "Maid to Order".)

Erika

The first one wasn't a rap concert- it was just a regular dance club here in Chicago. It's one that a lot of famous people visit. The chaos began when 2 girls got into a fight and one cut the other with a box cutter. I think they are still arguing over who used the pepper spray. Supposedly somebody shouted something about it being a terrorist attack. The club was hundreds of people over capacity.

The second one was fillmed by somebody who was doing a series on club safety BECAUSE OF the incident in Chicago! How ironic is that!

NowInc

Great White played here 2 weeks ago at a club called "club ovation"..they used pyro. I know for a FACT they did NOT ask because when we play at that club (a week after they did in fact), we are giving a VERY strict speach about not using any type of pyro..or even FOG MACHINES. (bands like mudvayne who have also played there were giving the same limitations..so its not just for "local" acts) They used it anyway.

SirNim

I have a feeling Great White will not be performing anymore...:dazzle: :zipit:

But that's beside the point... Point is, well, 96!:( :( :(

jmarc63

Originally posted by Erika
The first one wasn't a rap concert- it was just a regular dance club here in Chicago. It's one that a lot of famous people visit. The chaos began when 2 girls got into a fight and one cut the other with a box cutter. I think they are still arguing over who used the pepper spray. Supposedly somebody shouted something about it being a terrorist attack. The club was hundreds of people over capacity.

The second one was fillmed by somebody who was doing a series on club safety BECAUSE OF the incident in Chicago! How ironic is that!

in the last news confrence I saw on tv the oficials were asked what the capacity was by reporters and there responce was that the clubs were in compliance on that , but the mad rush for one primary exit lead to the both incedents,. on a side note the RI club had other operational exits to use but unfimaliar guests went for the only exit they knew, the way they came in.

Erika

Originally posted by jmarc63
in the last news confrence I saw on tv the oficials were asked what the capacity was by reporters and there responce was that the clubs were in compliance on that , but the mad rush for one primary exit lead to the both incedents,. on a side note the RI club had other operational exits to use but unfimaliar guests went for the only exit they knew, the way they came in.

Ahhhh, I must have heard an erroneus report. They had said before that they were a few hundred over. Thanks for the corrected story!

WDWFREAK53

Jmarc is correct...the club was in compliance with the fire codes in every aspect. The club did NOT have sprinklers because it was built before a certain date. The club was not over capacity.

Actually, our local radio station's DJ is missing still... the "DOC"

The owners of the club held a press conference today and you could barely understand what he was saying through the tears.

I found out about 10 minutes ago that 3 people that I know are among the missing...and 1 got out ok...no need for hospitalization.

Dawn S

Just had to add my own sympathies here. Anyone who is of the praying persuasion, please say a little prayer for Ty (GW guitarist), his girlfriend & parents & the rest of those affected by this horrid event. Truly shocking & horribly sad. They're pretty much assuming now that Ty is among those who perished as they have identified all the injured/survivors. I'm overly stunned & just shocked that this could have even happened. :cry:

http://www.tylongley.com

itsalways420

Well as much as I hate to say it -- This stuff always comes in threes for some reason. I really hope that the 96 that died at least didn't suffer for to long and from what I hear about the speed the fire grew I doubt they did.

These clubs take absolutely no measures to ensure that this kind of thing dosn't happen. Even when you go to a movie the fire exits are clearly marked and shown to you. These clubs get away with murder when it comes to inspections. They would rather pay off the inspector than just spend the money to make sure the public is safe. What a shame :(

It seems like Great White is taking the majority of the blame here. I really don't think that is fair. They are musicians not managers, club owners, PR people or anything like that. Let's face it if you are playing to a crowd of 300 you aren't exactly in it for the money. Just for the record the club was well over capacity and that is probably the most dangerous and irresponsible thing that happened.

From what I am reading on the web Great White management has cleared the use of Pyro with every club the band has played in. I can't see why countless club owners would say this and only a handful claim otherwise. I guess the finger pointing and blame game is going to happen in any situation this critical. It's a damn shame that with all the tragedies that happen everyday it's all going to boil down to money. I guess thats the world we live in.

God Bless all those that died doing what they love. Rockin!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom