Kilimanjaro Safaris to replace 'Little Red' scene with new savannah space

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Excellent! Little Red and Wilson have ALWAYS bugged me. Look at Jungle Cruise: there's no real "story", but the ride works fine! Same will be for KS.

worldfanatic

I do really miss the zebras, which have been off-safari for awhile, so on the bright side I'll be glad to have them back. From what I understand, they didn't get along well with the other animals on the open savannah, so this will give then their own area away from all of that, but now in guest view once again instead of backstage.

I like the change. Zebras are so unique.
I remember reading a story about how Zebras are one of the meanest creatures in the animal world, and how an African Safari Guide almost died laughing when a visitor asked about riding one. :ROFLOL:

drew81

I am really happy to hear Zebras are returning. I think we'll see a few other species added in the near future. Maybe the Impala will finally return?

Tip Top Club

I rode the Safari last week and maybe it was my imagination but the song seemed to play longer than usual. Maybe this is hinting of what's to come. Incidentally, the song translated into English is The Our Father (The Lord's Prayer) in Swahili. In other Kilimanjaro news, our driver seemed less than enthused about the entire experience and didn't even speed up through the geysers. We just cruised along at the usual speed while she said nary a word. She even made the collapsing bridge boring. Meanwhile in the MK, one of the African elephants on the Jungle Cruise was out for repairs so now I'm wondering if Little Red might find his way to the JC to join his AA friends.

The song can go on for several minutes if need be, it is switched off automatically just before the bridge, so if there is a backup of trucks at the bridge or a great view of the bull elephants and the driver is purposefully going slow, then it can go on and on.

I can't speak for the driver's attitude, but obviously every truck is a little different and some do go slower than others, it's just a reality that every ride vehicle on every attraction is a little different.

Little Red Will not be going to the Jungle Cruise....That's not happening.

And just to re-iterate the new savanna will stretch all the way from the bottom of the existing hill past the warthog area cattle guard all the way to the existing waterfall area.

There are NOT CURRENTLY SCHEDULED to be any CLOSURES for this change, and work will be completed starting soon (March most likely) and continuing over the summer.

There are ALWAYS rumors about new animals coming out onto the ride, There do appear to be some strong rumors about new animals headed to the savanna, but honestly they are just rumors so who knows.

drew81

The song can go on for several minutes if need be, it is switched off automatically just before the bridge, so if there is a backup of trucks at the bridge or a great view of the bull elephants and the driver is purposefully going slow, then it can go on and on.

I can't speak for the driver's attitude, but obviously every truck is a little different and some do go slower than others, it's just a reality that every ride vehicle on every attraction is a little different.

Little Red Will not be going to the Jungle Cruise....That's not happening.

And just to re-iterate the new savanna will stretch all the way from the bottom of the existing hill past the warthog area cattle guard all the way to the existing waterfall area.

There are NOT CURRENTLY SCHEDULED to be any CLOSURES for this change, and work will be completed starting soon (March most likely) and continuing over the summer.

There are ALWAYS rumors about new animals coming out onto the ride, There do appear to be some strong rumors about new animals headed to the savanna, but honestly they are just rumors so who knows.

Can you share what species you've heard?

Tom Morrow

I'd like to point out that this doesn't necessarily mean there will be no story. I'm sure they'll come up with something. The obvious choice is to eliminate the "two week safari" idea since I'm not really sure how they would "cut it short" without an "action" sequence.

sambahat

Awesome news! I wonder how much space is actually in that area though to make a large enough plot for zebras?

We need someone with skills to bust out google earth or something.

OK... When I first read that, I thought it said "I wonder how much space is actually in that area though to make a large enough plot for zombies."

Sort of changes the entire context, huh?

HMF

I'd like to point out that this doesn't necessarily mean there will be no story. I'm sure they'll come up with something. The obvious choice is to eliminate the "two week safari" idea since I'm not really sure how they would "cut it short" without an "action" sequence.
Please, no more convoluted stories.

Captain Hank

So...yeah...by the way, it was never, to my knowledge, *officially* a two-week safari. All of the posters in the village refer to "day trips." As far as I know, it's something that evolved among the drivers. It's certainly not in the current script or Operating Guide (though 99% of the drivers say it).

As for the radio music thing, if there's a backup at Tilting Bridge, the music can go on for a while. It does eventually fade out on its own after about 3 minutes or so.

Disneydreamer23

I know Im lame I went for the first time since I was 4 in 2008 and I was 19 I thought that people were seriously invading the savannah, haha I know thats ridiculous but it scared the crap outta me!

Rob562

I've always thought that it was somewhat odd that the attraction is named Kilimanjaro Safaris but there is no view of Mount Kilimanjaro. Does anyone know if we will be getting some type of mountain facade at any point? IF (I'm not an insider and don't have any information regarding this) they are planning on using the Rafiki/northern expansion area for Avatar, a Kilimanjaro facade on the back of one of those attractions would be very sweet off in the distance.

I thought that too, at first. But then I had it explained to me and it made sense that it isn't there. (And I know this isn't a complete explanation, so apologies in advance)

From the sign as you enter from Discovery Island, Harambe is a "Port of East Africa", meaning it's along the coast. While it's not specifically intended to depict Kenya, I believe it is generally modeled after Mombassa, which is along the Kenyan coast. The real Mount Kilimanjaro is at least 150 miles from the coast.

The areas where the animals are is the Harambe Wildlife Preserve. It's land set aside by the people of Harambe to protect the endangered animals. The Preserve is overseen by wardens, Wilson is one of them. That's why his shirt emblem and his truck say "Harambe Wildlife Preserve" on them.

But the Preserve does not run the tours. Instead, they allow authorized companies to come and bring tours through the Reserve. "Kilimanjaro Safaris" is the name of one of those companies. They have their own trucks and logos.
Presumably the Kilimanjaro Safaris company started or is based much closer to Mount Kilimanjaro, hence the mountain appearing in their logo. But the Harambe operation is just a satellite office.

All of this backstory is laid out in the posters in Harambe, the office you pass in the queue, and elsewhere.

Also, Kilimanjaro Safaris isn't the only tour operator bringing people onto the Preserve. If you check out Harambe, you'll see advertising posters from competing tour companies.

-Rob

MarkTwain

I thought that too, at first. But then I had it explained to me and it made sense that it isn't there. (And I know this isn't a complete explanation, so apologies in advance)

From the sign as you enter from Discovery Island, Harambe is a "Port of East Africa", meaning it's along the coast. While it's not specifically intended to depict Kenya, I believe it is generally modeled after Mombassa, which is along the Kenyan coast. The real Mount Kilimanjaro is at least 150 miles from the coast.

The areas where the animals are is the Harambe Wildlife Preserve. It's land set aside by the people of Harambe to protect the endangered animals. The Preserve is overseen by wardens, Wilson is one of them. That's why his shirt emblem and his truck say "Harambe Wildlife Preserve" on them.

But the Preserve does not run the tours. Instead, they allow authorized companies to come and bring tours through the Reserve. "Kilimanjaro Safaris" is the name of one of those companies. They have their own trucks and logos.
Presumably the Kilimanjaro Safaris company started or is based much closer to Mount Kilimanjaro, hence the mountain appearing in their logo. But the Harambe operation is just a satellite office.

All of this backstory is laid out in the posters in Harambe, the office you pass in the queue, and elsewhere.

Also, Kilimanjaro Safaris isn't the only tour operator bringing people onto the Preserve. If you check out Harambe, you'll see advertising posters from competing tour companies.

-Rob

Makes sense from a backstory perspective. From a more guest-intuitive standpoint, I figure Disney just wanted one of the most recognizable African terms as the title of the attraction, as an alternative to calling it "African Safari".

Tip Top Club

So...yeah...by the way, it was never, to my knowledge, *officially* a two-week safari. All of the posters in the village refer to "day trips." As far as I know, it's something that evolved among the drivers. It's certainly not in the current script or Operating Guide (though 99% of the drivers say it).

As for the radio music thing, if there's a backup at Tilting Bridge, the music can go on for a while. It does eventually fade out on its own after about 3 minutes or so.

It is indeed a two-week safari. It is in both the current script and the current operating guides. It's even in the current park orientation. It has been officially two weeks since at least the 2007 rehab.

JimboJones123

A few notes:

1. This is literally the greatest news to come out of WDW since Everest was announced. Which further shoes how terribly unnecessary Little Red's story was. I equate it with the other two worst stories atWDW, the Imagination Institute that has nothing to do with the imagination and chili dog burping Stitch.

2. Eliminate the current poaching pr-show as well. Use the video monitors to show the further beauty of Africa that you won't see on the tour.

3. Say "You have completed your two week safari!" I cannot think of any guest so willing to suspend disbelief that they were not really on a two week safari, but a metaphorical one.

4. Go Zebras! They have been very missed.

5. I would appreciate more music throughout the attraction. It really adds to the tone of the attraction.

6. Most drivers were so beat down by the poacher script. Plus, there are more real life environmental and conservation ideas that can be tapped instead of "now kids, don't grow up and shoot animals, m'kay?" Instead, make any extended stories personal for the riders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom