Kilimanjaro safari while pregnant?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Not in the budget, and if I were to hire anyone, it would be a maid. I can raise my own kids thank you very much.
Well, I don't want to argue, but...
3mtcyy.jpg

Last edited:

Victor Kelly

Sure should be. I was more or less poking fun at the sanctimonious, faux authoritative tones taken on by many posters.
I have to agree with those people though. I have always erred on the side of caution. That was a big part of my job.

I can also agree with poking fun, which I do a lot online because sometimes we as people gwt too serious.😁

ELG13

Original Poster
Sadly, a sugar bomb blood sugar surge might be something some pregnant women need to limit, especially if their blood pressure goes up.

Navigating the food of WDW can actually be a be a bit tricky while pregnant. WDW is full of high-glycemic foods like French fries, soda, and raw foods like sushi. Having a few snacks on hand can be helpful. If driving or bringing checked luggage, maybe consider packing something like shelf-stable milk boxes. Otherwise, it can be tricky to find permitted drinks in WDW. You know: no coffee, no soda, no alcohol, no high sugar drinks, no artificial sweeteners...that's pretty much every drink WDW sells. Except milk and water.

Another option is to stop off at a grocery store if you'll have a car/Uber. Luckily, WDW lets you bring in drinks/snacks, and there are a number of good grocery options near WDW. Publix is decent. There's also a Whole Foods over by Universal. There are big box places, too, but if you are only in WDW for a few days, you probably don't need value-sized giant boxes that the big box store sell unless the rest of your family will eat that much.

WDW now prohibits anyone from bringing loose ice in their cooler into the parks, but drinks are still okay. Every QS will give you free ice water, and it will be filtered water. Otherwise, the hotel gift shops and bigger food courts. Be aware, at most places, WDW lemonade is the "Light" kind with artificial sweeteners. Apple juice is available many places.

Luckily, over the years, WDW has also gotten a little better about offering more fresh produce.
Thanks for that, fun police.

jaklgreen

Sadly, a sugar bomb blood sugar surge might be something some pregnant women need to limit, especially if their blood pressure goes up.

Navigating the food of WDW can actually be a be a bit tricky while pregnant. WDW is full of high-glycemic foods like French fries, soda, and raw foods like sushi. Having a few snacks on hand can be helpful. If driving or bringing checked luggage, maybe consider packing something like shelf-stable milk boxes. Otherwise, it can be tricky to find permitted drinks in WDW. You know: no coffee, no soda, no alcohol, no high sugar drinks, no artificial sweeteners...that's pretty much every drink WDW sells. Except milk and water.

Another option is to stop off at a grocery store if you'll have a car/Uber. Luckily, WDW lets you bring in drinks/snacks, and there are a number of good grocery options near WDW. Publix is decent. There's also a Whole Foods over by Universal. There are big box places, too, but if you are only in WDW for a few days, you probably don't need value-sized giant boxes that the big box store sell unless the rest of your family will eat that much.

WDW now prohibits anyone from bringing loose ice in their cooler into the parks, but drinks are still okay. Every QS will give you free ice water, and it will be filtered water. Otherwise, the hotel gift shops and bigger food courts. Be aware, at most places, WDW lemonade is the "Light" kind with artificial sweeteners. Apple juice is available many places.

Luckily, over the years, WDW has also gotten a little better about offering more fresh produce.

I think she was being a bit tongue in cheek. I am pretty sure that she will not spend the whole time just eating Mickey bars. And IDK who is telling you that a pregnant woman can't have coffee, soda, sugar,fries, etc. If she is healthy, she can pretty much eat whatever she wants. Though of course, not the alcohol. I ate what I could keep down and during my second pregnancy that was strawberry limeades from Sonic, and both of my kids are very healthy. The baby will take the nutrients that it needs from you. It is much worse to feed your toddlers mac and cheese and chicken nuggets as a regular diet then to have a cup of coffee while pregnant.

ELG13

Original Poster
I think she was being a bit tongue in cheek. I am pretty sure that she will not spend the whole time just eating Mickey bars. And IDK who is telling you that a pregnant woman can't have coffee, soda, sugar,fries, etc. If she is healthy, she can pretty much eat whatever she wants. Though of course, not the alcohol. I ate what I could keep down and during my second pregnancy that was strawberry limeades from Sonic, and both of my kids are very healthy. The baby will take the nutrients that it needs from you. It is much worse to feed your toddlers mac and cheese and chicken nuggets as a regular diet then to have a cup of coffee while pregnant.
Strawberry limeaids are always a pregnancy staple for me especially in the first trimester lol. And I probably eat way better pregnant than not pregnant just because anything greasy or junky makes me feel even worse than normal 😆

Shouldigo12

Two words, if not already said ....... incompetent cervix.
Hey, I have a great idea! Let's not throw insults at someone because they dared to be curious and ask a question about something they've already said they weren't planning on doing.

Some of ya'll really need to grow up.

ELG13

Original Poster
Hey, I have a great idea! Let's not throw insults at someone because they dared to be curious and ask a question about something they've already said they weren't planning on doing.

Lol it's ok. Some people don't know how to roll with things.

MaryJaneP

Wow!!! Not an insult, just a possible explanation for warning sign reasoning. Some may actually have such a condition and bouncing around in a safari truck may not be medically advisable. But feel free to jump to irrational assumptions. So mature.

Shouldigo12

Wow!!! Not an insult, just a possible explanation for warning sign reasoning. Some may actually have such a condition and bouncing around in a safari truck may not be medically advisable. But feel free to jump to irrational assumptions. So mature.
You don't see incompetent cervix as an insult? Even if it wasn't directed at OP, it was unnecessary. Not everyone has been on the Safari before, a pregnant woman simply might not realize how bumpy the ride is. Shoot, some people think the animals are animontronics. Throwing out insults is just uncalled for.

Dole Whip Happy Hour

You don't see incompetent cervix as an insult? Even if it wasn't directed at OP, it was unnecessary. Not everyone has been on the Safari before, a pregnant woman simply might not realize how bumpy the ride is. Shoot, some people think the animals are animontronics. Throwing out insults is just uncalled for.
I am not a Dr, but an incompetent cervix is a serious condition where the cervix weakens and can open, causing a miscarriage. If found early, the Dr can literally stitch the cervix to keep it closed. It can happen with any pregnancy. I believe in some cases, women will be put on bed rest. Pretty much you don't want to bounce around too much if you have it.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

That is actually a medical condition and not some kind of jab at a pregnant woman. It is very dangerous and being jostled can cause the woman to go into labor and loose the baby.

FettFan

Waiting in line for Star Tours years ago, I once saw the cast members in a flurry around a young pregnant woman. I would guess she was somewhere around six-seven months, and they had a section of the hallway sectioned off right before you go into the ride. The lady was laying on the floor, where people usually stand in line, and she was in pain and not looking good.. I don't know what happened, if she had been on the ride, or just been in line.

If she went into labor, I would hope that she had the good sense to name her child either "Luke" or "Leia".

Or "RX-24". Works for boys AND girls.

Love how you clarified that you weren't going to ride it, then everyone told you not to ride it. lol

I don't think bumpy rides make you have a baby early unless there is an underlying problem. I suppose it could cause contractions, and if you were already having contractions and rode a bumpy ride (why would you?, but stay with me) it could put you into labor. I think Disney just wants to avoid any correlation that might look like they hurt your baby somehow with one of their rides, so anything with any real motion is an automatic no-no.

The best real answer I can think is that evacuating you out of the safari is probably difficult if there is a true emergency. I think it is less about the bouncing and more about the evacuation.

ETA: Congrats on baby #4!

Last edited:

Simba’s Mom

If you decide, after all the "advice" to ride the ride (I get it-it's my favorite ride), I do have one piece of advice for you regarding the bumpiness. Tell the CM that you HAVE to sit in the first or second row. I've been in the first row and I've been in the last, and I found a HUGE difference in the bumpiness. The first row is relatively smooth, but the last row was teeth-rattling bumpy. I now ask for the front row (easier on my back) and the CM is always very nice about getting me there.

MickeyLuv'r

I think she was being a bit tongue in cheek. I am pretty sure that she will not spend the whole time just eating Mickey bars. And IDK who is telling you that a pregnant woman can't have coffee, soda, sugar,fries, etc. If she is healthy, she can pretty much eat whatever she wants. Though of course, not the alcohol.

Simply, I advise reading amore about pregnancy, healthy eating, and why it is important. I'm a stranger on the internet, not your doctor.

Here are a few tiny tidbits from reputable sources though:

According to NIH:
"We found that average caffeine consumption of >100 mg/day was associated with a reduction in birth weight of 34-59 g in the first trimester, 24-74 g in the second, and 66-89 g in the third (after adjustment for smoking status and alcohol intake)."

According to the Mayo Clinic:
Gestational diabetes raises your risk of high blood pressure, as well as preeclampsia — a serious complication of pregnancy that causes high blood pressure and other symptoms that can threaten the lives of both mother and baby.

Preeclampsia is a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and signs of damage to another organ system, most often the liver and kidneys. Preeclampsia usually begins after 20 weeks of pregnancy in women whose blood pressure had been normal. -Mayo Clinic Nov 16, 2018

The more a pregnant woman eats high glycemic foods, the more it pays havoc with one's blood sugar and insulin levels. Not just mom, but the mom+ baby.

Both conditions listed above tend to occur in the 3rd trimester.

Though if you are unable to keep foods down, probably something is better than nothing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How did our ancestors survive if woman had to be confined to nothing more strenuous than walking for three months?

Obviously, if the pregnancy has complications, such as a bad back, don't ride. But a woman who is healthy and can run or do other exercise in her third trimester can withstand bumpiness.

If you decide, after all the "advice" to ride the ride (I get it-it's my favorite ride), I do have one piece of advice for you regarding the bumpiness. Tell the CM that you HAVE to sit in the first or second row. I've been in the first row and I've been in the last, and I found a HUGE difference in the bumpiness. The first row is relatively smooth, but the last row was teeth-rattling bumpy. I now ask for the front row (easier on my back) and the CM is always very nice about getting me there.

Indeed, ask the CM for the middle of the truck and sit in the middle of the row. The center of the truck will be the least bumpy and the closer you get to a wheel, the bumpier it will get. I bring inflatable pillows with me to WDW for lengthy sits on the ground for parades and such. That should come in handy here. Also, lean forward and don't press your back into the seat for better core stabilization.

Disney's warning is for those without common sense and are not having a healthy trimester.

jaklgreen

Simply, I advise reading amore about pregnancy, healthy eating, and why it is important. I'm a stranger on the internet, not your doctor.

Here are a few tiny tidbits from reputable sources though:

According to NIH:
"We found that average caffeine consumption of >100 mg/day was associated with a reduction in birth weight of 34-59 g in the first trimester, 24-74 g in the second, and 66-89 g in the third (after adjustment for smoking status and alcohol intake)."

According to the Mayo Clinic:
Gestational diabetes raises your risk of high blood pressure, as well as preeclampsia — a serious complication of pregnancy that causes high blood pressure and other symptoms that can threaten the lives of both mother and baby.

Preeclampsia is a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and signs of damage to another organ system, most often the liver and kidneys. Preeclampsia usually begins after 20 weeks of pregnancy in women whose blood pressure had been normal. -Mayo Clinic Nov 16, 2018

The more a pregnant woman eats high glycemic foods, the more it pays havoc with one's blood sugar and insulin levels. Not just mom, but the mom+ baby.

Both conditions listed above tend to occur in the 3rd trimester.

Though if you are unable to keep foods down, probably something is better than nothing.

I find it funny that so many people are concerned what a pregnant woman eats, but have no issue with parents feeding their kids a diet of processed crap. Which has been shown that a young child that has a diet of mac and cheese and chicken strips(what seems to be the "norm' now) has a lower IQ then those kids fed normal food and those children are sicker more often. Everyone should eat healthy, but the occasional treat is not going to do any damage. A pregnant woman can eat ice cream and a soda if she wants to. That is not going to cause her to have high blood pressure. I did all of that, I ate what I could keep down and what I craved and never had high blood pressure gestational diabetes. That is more genetic then because the mom had a latte. If you are hell bent on "saving the children" then look more towards what they are being feed after they are born.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom