Kicked off the bus!

aim

Oh man, when I was younger, it was always the black monorail that broke down on us! LOL So we never ride it.

But, I really don't see what's wrong with Disney's transportation. Yeah, every now & then you'll have a bad experience. But most of the time, the transportation is great! I applaud those that are in the Transportation role at WDW. They have to operate the vehicles AND put up with guests. I could never do that. So to those in Transportation: :sohappy:

ISTCrew20

Good job Tyler! lol....I agree, busses are better than Monorails in moving people, convienence, and saving money. About the smell, all it takes is one person who forgot to deodorize themselves to walk in a Monorail, and its got that smell all day. Busses smell like new plastic (yummm) I'd much rather take a bus over a Monorail in most cases.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
or you could follow the example set by me, and ride a Razor Scooter from MGM to Epcot... and in the park.. lol.

Invero

Originally posted by ISTCrew20
Good job Tyler! lol....I agree, busses are better than Monorails in moving people, convienence, and saving money. About the smell, all it takes is one person who forgot to deodorize themselves to walk in a Monorail, and its got that smell all day. Busses smell like new plastic (yummm) I'd much rather take a bus over a Monorail in most cases.

Actually, it's the carpet that smells like cow manure. Then of course you add in those that have never heard of hygene, and the times that people have actually... umm... left 'presents'... it all adds up.

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by Invero
Actually, it's the carpet that smells like cow manure. Then of course you add in those that have never heard of hygene, and the times that people have actually... umm... left 'presents'... it all adds up.

00oo00...Did I hear presents?

Foolish Mortal

Even tho it's already been said a few times, I agree, you guys that drive the buses are o.k in my book. Coming up on trip #12 since 89 and have never had a bad experience. A few grumps here and there but most drivers are pleasant and friendly. Just remember....are YOU always pleasant on YOUR job ???

Woody13

Well, all I can say is that I am a big fan of both niteobsrvr and Invero. They know their stuff! I don't always agree with them (I like the Hotel Plaza Blvd. bus system) but their knowledge and common sense about the Disney Transportation System always is very impressive to me. I'm going down to WDW tomorrow for a week or two and perhaps I'll be lucky enough to see you. We guests appreciate people such as you! :wave:

EvilMortimer

Account Suspended
Hey, I still stand by what I say about monorails and buses. There's nothing magical about a bus. And may I add that many of your points are very valid. But buses do smell... not on the inside, I wasn't talking about that. It's the exaust. I have very bad allergies, and you can imagine how it is for me waiting for a bus in line at Epcot. :animwink: So maybe I'm going by my personal experience. I just haven't been lucky enough to get all those "presents" that you are talking about.:lol: There are other points that you made that I could bring up, and I should bring up, but I'm not. When you're here, you don't discuss politics, religion, or buses vs. monorails. :) Have a good one! I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Invero

Originally posted by Woody13
Well, all I can say is that I am a big fan of both niteobsrvr and Invero. They know their stuff! I don't always agree with them (I like the Hotel Plaza Blvd. bus system) but their knowledge and common sense about the Disney Transportation System always is very impressive to me.

They're getting better... the new buses are slowly arriving, and thankfully, the engines are not as powerful, so it keeps them in check better.

However... it's only been a few weeks, and they're already starting to get all banged up. *sigh*

CaptChris

I agree with everything Niteobserver and Tyler have to say!

I have a class B commerical license with a passenger endorsement. I drive a bus for the charity I work for.

It is difficult to pay attention to the road, all 6 mirrors, the traffic and so on with 50 or so people carrying 50 different conversations behind you. Mix in the roar of a turbo diesel engine, wind noise, etc.

Often times people try to talk to me, and while I am driving, I have to ignore them. It is detrimental to the overall safety of the bus, to ascertain which person is talking, while attempting to safely operate the bus.

With the amount of buses Disney operates, and I am sure Tyler and niteobserver could give us the exact amount, there are bound to be incidents that are negative. There is a human factor there, and some people are just jerks. However, with every one negative story, there are a thousand happy stories, of families getting on and off the buses grinning ear to ear. There dreams came true...they are at WDW!

Let's give these hard working Disney Transportation Cast Members the benefit of the doubt.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Originally posted by Invero
Just because this is Walt Disney World does not mean that drivers are above the law. Bottom line, is that safety comes first, last, and always. The laws exist for a reason. Now, just because a driver doesn't sing and tell jokes the entire way doesn't mean that they are mean and a bad Disney CM. Quite the contrary. A bus driver's primary responsibility is to provide a smooth, and safe ride to and from the parks. Anything extra (ie, magical guest moments, having fun with guests, etc) must be done when at stops, when the driver doesn't need to be concentrating on the road.

Just like Niteobsrvr, my speils are over when the resort gate goes up. After that time, I need to pay attention to all the crazy tourist drivers on the road. I can't tell you how many times some crazy tourist, CM, or taxi has done something that potentially could have caused a nasty accident with my bus. Had I been singing, or otherwise distracted, I might not have been able to respond to the situation.

I couldn't agree more with you. Myself i have a passenger endorsement and a Class A CDL. I have only driven 3 busses loaded and can't imagine doing it while talking to a passenger. I have driven them empty over and over again. If disney wants entertainment then they dhould install talking busses. were I work the pa will only stay on for 15 seconds with the bus in drive and will not work at all in revese and where I work we don't have to hold the mike they are on a boom at disney the drivers have to hold the mic. so that means one more hand off the wheel. so don't get me wrong from my orginal post I was just saying by the letter of the law its pointless, but the spirit of the law is good. however heres the spin on it. theres no law prohibbitting me from talking on a cell phone/ 2 way radio, etc... so that can be more distracting then anything else. the law says you can't talk to passengers. no don't take that the wrong way I'm not saying that its ok to do that, just making a piont about our laws.

ArielLover

I was on vacation in July and have to say my experience with the drivers were great. One night my wife and I were on our way from the Wilderness Lodge, where we were staying , to the Polynesian for a romantic dinner. We were having a famous Florida lightning storm that night. For those of you who remember this is the day the giraffe at the AK was struck and killed. Well that night the monorail was also hit and was shut down and buses were the only option. It took us 2 and a half hours for our trip and we had a great time . We sat right next to the driver and he really didn't chat much when driving but we had tons of conversation during loading and unloading. He kept apologizing as he was being routed all over to pick up stranded guests. Now lets see 4 months later and I remember this older driver with loads of Disney stories to share. I gues HE was part of the magic.

mkymaus

Account Suspended
Oh my...that is disturbing! I on the other hand had a wonderful experience this past trip....I generally never use the buses cause we rent a car..but this last time, we went to the bus stop at the Beach Club and as we were approaching the bus stop, our bus to DTD was pulling away.....I obviously looked miffed with a ed off look on my face and maybe it was the fact that the bus driver read lips and understood I said....the "F" word....that he actually stopped the bus on the dime and and waved us on....I was amazed!!! I couldnt believe he did that....was it the "F" word he saw coming out of my mouth with a prominant "FFFFF" or that tight top I had on....LOL (just kidding).....none the less...it was a nice jesture.

I say things like this above happen more often than the bad things. :king:

Woody13

Originally posted by mkymaus
Oh my...that is disturbing! I on the other hand had a wonderful experience this past trip....I generally never use the buses cause we rent a car..but this last time, we went to the bus stop at the Beach Club and as we were approaching the bus stop, our bus to DTD was pulling away.....I obviously looked miffed with a ed off look on my face and maybe it was the fact that the bus driver read lips and understood I said....the "F" word....that he actually stopped the bus on the dime and and waved us on....I was amazed!!! I couldnt believe he did that....was it the "F" word he saw coming out of my mouth with a prominant "FFFFF" or that tight top I had on....LOL (just kidding).....none the less...it was a nice jesture.

I say things like this above happen more often than the bad things. :king:

It sounds bad to me.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Woody13
It sounds bad to me.

I am going to throw this out there and hope that people understand rather than fly off the handle.

The standing guideline for a bus driver, not jsut at Disney but in most municipalities too, is that once you begin to move away from a stop you do not stop again to load passengers.

The number one reason for this is safety both for the people on the bus and the ones about to walk into the street to get on board.

Its a liability factor. If my bus is safely pulled into a bus stop and you get hurt why walking up or whatever, I am not responsible for the injury or contributing to it. However, If I am pulled out of a stop 10, 15, or 20 feet etc and then stop so that you can walk/run out to get on the bus, the liability for the injury then shifts to me, if not in full, then at least partially. However if I keep moving, again the person running into the street is fully responsible for their situation and actions.

The other side to the safety issue is the vehicle blocking traffic. If I am in a bus stop, I am not blocking traffic. If a car hits me, I cannot be determined to be at fault provided I did an adequate job of pulling into the stop area. However, If I stop in the middle of the street or partially out of the bus stop and get hit by another vehicle, part of the blame shifts to myself.

One thing that is particularly annoying to every bus driver is people who beat on the side of the bus after it starts moving. This activity pretty much guarantess you wont be getting on the bus you are beating on. The action alarms the bus driver more than you can imagine. The first thought that runs through our mind is what just hit the bus or what did the bus just hit.

Many people seem to think the bus driver has a 360 degree unobstucted view of the area around the bus. Unfortunatley this couldnt be further from the truth. Assuming that it is daylight, we have a little more than a 180 degree field of vision that still has obstructions like parts of the bus or structures outside that block out portions of the area. From the rear-view mirrors, we can see out about 30 degrees of the side of the bus and straight back and just like your car, there are blind spots. Given this, if you are walking in the right place at just the right time while we are checking the area before pulling out, the chances are good you will not be seen. Once you add darkness to this equation and artificial lighting that creates shadows, there is even more opportunity to not see you.

Its a crazy world out there these days folks, I personally would love to drop everyone off right at their car or building. For logistical reasons, thats not possible. It also becomes a guest service issue because thats a lot of stops someone has to sit through and some of the resorts have enough of those already. Finally it creates situations of preferential treatment etc. You would think at Disney people would not make these kinds of claims but in reality its probably even more common than in other workplaces.

mkymaus

Account Suspended
Originally posted by niteobsrvr
I am going to throw this out there and hope that people understand rather than fly off the handle.

The standing guideline for a bus driver, not jsut at Disney but in most municipalities too, is that once you begin to move away from a stop you do not stop again to load passengers.

The number one reason for this is safety both for the people on the bus and the ones about to walk into the street to get on board.

Its a liability factor. If my bus is safely pulled into a bus stop and you get hurt why walking up or whatever, I am not responsible for the injury or contributing to it. However, If I am pulled out of a stop 10, 15, or 20 feet etc and then stop so that you can walk/run out to get on the bus, the liability for the injury then shifts to me, if not in full, then at least partially. However if I keep moving, again the person running into the street is fully responsible for their situation and actions.

The other side to the safety issue is the vehicle blocking traffic. If I am in a bus stop, I am not blocking traffic. If a car hits me, I cannot be determined to be at fault provided I did an adequate job of pulling into the stop area. However, If I stop in the middle of the street or partially out of the bus stop and get hit by another vehicle, part of the blame shifts to myself.

One thing that is particularly annoying to every bus driver is people who beat on the side of the bus after it starts moving. This activity pretty much guarantess you wont be getting on the bus you are beating on. The action alarms the bus driver more than you can imagine. The first thought that runs through our mind is what just hit the bus or what did the bus just hit.

Many people seem to think the bus driver has a 360 degree unobstucted view of the area around the bus. Unfortunatley this couldnt be further from the truth. Assuming that it is daylight, we have a little more than a 180 degree field of vision that still has obstructions like parts of the bus or structures outside that block out portions of the area. From the rear-view mirrors, we can see out about 30 degrees of the side of the bus and straight back and just like your car, there are blind spots. Given this, if you are walking in the right place at just the right time while we are checking the area before pulling out, the chances are good you will not be seen. Once you add darkness to this equation and artificial lighting that creates shadows, there is even more opportunity to not see you.

Its a crazy world out there these days folks, I personally would love to drop everyone off right at their car or building. For logistical reasons, thats not possible. It also becomes a guest service issue because thats a lot of stops someone has to sit through and some of the resorts have enough of those already. Finally it creates situations of preferential treatment etc. You would think at Disney people would not make these kinds of claims but in reality its probably even more common than in other workplaces.

Ok, thank you, but I dont think I ever said I threw myself infront of the bus nor did I say I pounded on the side of the bus....perhaps I wasnt clear enough...let me elaborate.

1) we were walking towards the bus stop...we were about 30 yards from the actual stop (which was the FIRST STOP) so no other bus was in front of it.
2) After he started to go, he immediatly had to STOP anyways at a STOP sign, so there was NEVER a danger of other buses or cars or pedestrians cause he HAD TO STOP ANYWAYS.
3)I did NOT and I repeat DID NOT, pound on the side of the bus...where the hell that came from I will never know....people add to the stories....and then online arguments occur.
4)No person was in harms way for the driver to stop....and the comment of prefernetial treatment!!! WHATS UP WITH THAT!! He was just mearly being Disney NICE...for the love of GOD people!!!
Get a grip!

kennyj29

He wasn't implying YOU were banging on the side of the bus he was just stating that because of their view they don't know if they hit somebody or not. These people drive the busses at Disney and they know the rules and regulations. What he is telling you is what they are allowed and not allowed to do. He is trying to explain why they have to do certain things. He wasn't picking on anyone, why does everyone get so upset. Read what he said don't read into it.

mkymaus

Account Suspended
Originally posted by kennyj29
He wasn't implying YOU were banging on the side of the bus he was just stating that because of their view they don't know if they hit somebody or not. These people drive the busses at Disney and they know the rules and regulations. What he is telling you is what they are allowed and not allowed to do. He is trying to explain why they have to do certain things. He wasn't picking on anyone, why does everyone get so upset. Read what he said don't read into it.

Ok, I will accept what your saying....but why did he not elaborate on the reasons behind some of the ignorant things some of these bus drivers do then...i.e the original post of this thread...we know what they should do, but never expect to be kicked off of a bus, and left on the side of the road for no reason....I really didnt see him explain that. Has anyone possibly figured out why that might of happened?? Or reasons "safety or not" why anyone would do that ? It just seemed that he was picking on the fact that I got picked up after the bus started, but not knowing the entire story elaborated on the why nots of it. No harm done...just looking for reasons why the original post happened and some other tragic stories here...I mearly posted a nice one to offset the nasty ones.
Thats all...no harm done.
:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom