Kicked off the bus!

TURKEY

Bus Safety

Man hit by bus at convention center
By Doris Bloodsworth
Sentinel Staff Writer

November 20, 2003, 2:56 PM EST

Authorities said a 78-year-old Orlando man is in extremely critical condition at a hospital after he was struck by a tour bus dropping off passengers at the Orange County Convention Center.

Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Kim Miller said James Boyd was directing traffic shortly after noon when he was struck by an Express Transportation tour bus out of Orlando.

Bus driver Rafael Soriano, 52, of Orlando and the 40 passengers were unharmed, Miller said.

Boyd struck his head on the pavement and was rushed to Sand Lake Hospital in southwest Orange County, troopers said.

Investigators said they are not sure exactly how the accident occurred. Boyd, a part-time worker, was not wearing a traffic safety vest, they said.

The convention center is playing host to the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions 85th annual trade show. The 1-million-square-foot complex has been filled with carousels, carnival games, snack stands, inflatable slides and mechanical dinosaurs.
Copyright © 2003, Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-ax112003,1,6364805.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

I wonder if this bus driver was trying to joke with his passengers and not watching where he was going? Maybe he was responding to someone that was wanting on his bus. This is something real that could happen anywhere, even more likely at WDW.

HMGhost13

i've been witness to a few morons attempting to get on the back of the bus while a wheelchair was being sent up. also seen the same people argue with the driver over it.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by tazhughes
Niteobsvr..I hope I never end up on your bus. I realize that there are laws that you have to follow, but you seem to take it to umpth degree. If you don't enjoy the work conditions or the fact that Disney will not back you then why stay. I think what everyone is saying is that over the many years that we all have been spending our hard earned money in these parks we have seen the overall personality and friendliness of transportation people go down. You say that the entertainment portion ends when you get on a bus, well that is sad for us, but more importantly it's sad for you because you happen to work in the only department of an entertainment corporation that doesn't believe that they are part of the entertainment.

The following article appeared in the AP news this week. Its ironic we were having a discussion about these kinds of things and an unfortuante example has appeared in the news. It is equally ironic that the inceident occurred in Cincinnati where I drove a bus before moving to Florida.

Bus driver charged in death of pedestrian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Associated Press

A Metro bus driver has been charged in the death of a pedestrian following an Oct. 2 incident downtown.

Cincinnati police Wednesday charged Carmencita Richardson, 48, of Over-the-Rhine, with vehicular manslaughter for the death of Joyce Jones, 62, of Delhi Township.

According to police, Richardson was driving a bus west on West Sixth Street downtown when she failed to yield and struck Jones, who was legally crossing in the crosswalk.

Jones, who was critically injured, died the following day, police said.

I hope everyone can understand now why the transportation system, especially the busses, needs to be taken seriously. I don't know what was going on in this bus when this accident happened. But needless to say, based on the laws, it doesn't matter because for whatever reason the bus driver failed to pay attention.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom