Kevin Yee- Parks close one day a week?

wdwfan100

Well said. No matter if your rich or poor things aren't great right now. Keep in mind when people are struggling most will cut out traveling first, its something that is easy to eliminate when trying to trim a budget.
I am afraid to see what the economy will look like in September. :cry: That will dictate what happens in the fall and early 2009. For all our sakes I hope things get better. :eek:

I don't get it. The economy is near a recession not in one. I am not saying that it is in the greatest shape, but still it is not down for the count. In order for Disney to act so drastically we would nearly need to be in a depression. Fuel costs will level and household bugets will balance. Life will go on. I am not saying that things won't be slower than in the past. I just do not believe everything is grinding to a halt. Sorry.

pheneix

I don't get it. The economy is near a recession not in one. I am not saying that it is in the greatest shape, but still it is not down for the count. In order for Disney to act so drastically we would nearly need to be in a depression. Fuel costs will level and household bugets will balance. Life will go on. I am not saying that things won't be slower than in the past. I just do not believe everything is grinding to a halt. Sorry.

Whether or not we're in a "reccession" is something we could debate when it seemed like things were going to get better at any moment. Waiting on the government or any other body to tell us how bad we're doing instead of taking corrective action immediately only serves to make things worse.

We have an economic crisis, a food crisis, and an energy crisis all coming to a head at the same time. I don't care what we call our economy, when families can't afford to eat we have problems.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Surely a recession in america will not hit walt disney world as hard as some other companies/places because if the dollar is weak then it is more attractive for us overseas visitors to go and paly at the world thus keeping attendance up:brick:

wdwfan100

Whether or not we're in a "reccession" is something we could debate when it seemed like things were going to get better at any moment. Waiting on the government or any other body to tell us how bad we're doing instead of taking corrective action immediately only serves to make things worse.

We have an economic crisis, a food crisis, and an energy crisis all coming to a head at the same time. I don't care what we call our economy, when families can't afford to eat we have problems.

I simply stated that we are not in a reccession. I certainly did not mean to anger you. As it pertains to Disney closing a park one day a week, The economy is just not that bad and has a long way to drop until it would be. I was not trying to debate economics. I was just commenting on the subject matter of the thread. As for all the crisis you mention. As I said in my first post, I admit the economy is not in great shape. Families have been going with out food long before we were a country. Even during the richest of econmic times. We have relied on foreign oil for decades. So when it comes to a head to say we need to take action immediately, is a little flawed. We should have acted years ago. As far as the housing crisis, for those people that were duped by unethical contract language (though those people are actually in the minority of the housing crisis), they should get swift and immediate help. For our part we help by donating food to food pantries and money to job training programs. So you see, I am not waiting on the govt. for anything. What corrective action would you propose that would heal our economy?

Philo

Surely a recession in america will not hit walt disney world as hard as some other companies/places because if the dollar is weak then it is more attractive for us overseas visitors to go and paly at the world thus keeping attendance up:brick:
True to an extent although a recession in the USA has an effect across the globe

Shiloh

Remeber these internet "blogs", such as where Kevin yee writes are not real jouranlism, although these bloggers seem to think they are 'Jounalists", they are not legitimate journalists. these are people would not be able to get jobs with real journalistic integrity if they tried, they just think they are big shots journalists becasue they have a blog.

DisneyJoe

Keep in mind when people are struggling most will cut out traveling first, its something that is easy to eliminate when trying to trim a budget.

Not always true, a lot depends on if they have booked/paid for the trip already, and also how fanatical they are about the destination.

I know people who have changed their eating habits, and other spending habits in order to take a Disney trip; some will take on a second job just to take a trip.

I don't believe that travel is the first thing to be cut.

wvdisneyfamily

Shorter hours...maybe, but park closures...NO WAY! As an earlier poster said, I don't think that travel/vacation is the first thing cut. My family and I are not struggling financially (thanks to God's many blessings). However, we are cutting back on things like eating out, making random grocery store runs, etc... For us vacations are very important. It would be one of the last things we cut. We would probably cut cable or our landline phone in order to keep vacations in the budget. I know not all families feel that way, but I am sure there are enough that do to sustain some positive economic growth for WDW.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
if the economy shut down and attendance was cut in half, i can see some changes on property with certain things, but shutting down a park for a day? This confirms Kevin Yee is an idiot (if there wasnt enough evidence already).

i wish that Kevin would Decline by Degrees

DisneyJoe

The purpose of the article is to be sensational and garner response. It's yellow journalism at it's finest.

Agreed 110% !!!

I met Kevin Yee at Mousefest this past December, and he told me that much (I think ALL) of what he writes is written to generate controversy and buzz....

WDW Monorail

picard-headesk.jpg

Brian Noble

all i have to say is that this didn't happen after 9/11 when tourism was dead...
Yep. If 9/11 didn't manage to mothball any park-days, I don't know what will. Disney shuttered entire resorts during that period, but still kept all four parks open seven days a week. I mean, I can imagine it could happen, but if some event pushed tourism travel to Florida below 9/11 levels, then whether the parks are open year-round is probably going to be the least of our worries for a while.

This guy is clueless. I wonder what he does for a job.
You didn't know? Kevin was once a Working Lead in Foods at Disneyland. This, apparently, qualifies him as an expert on all things theme park.

At least Al has a few connections that give him good stuff from time to time---or at least he manages to connect the dots. Kevin appears to be nothing more than a (bad) OpEd columnist with a one-note song.

he told me that much (I think ALL) of what he writes is written to generate controversy and buzz....
Sure, but that can be done well, or it can be done poorly. Jim Hill has essentially the same schtick, but is better at it. Al Lutz is better still. They all want to generate controversy, 'cause that's what brings the page hits, and that's what drives the revenue. And, in Kevin's case, that's what provides advertising for his "books".

bjlc57

there are valid points here..

one: this denial about a recession.. Do you know what a recession is? Its three posts of the GNP of negative.. we have "avoided" the recession by the smallest of margins. and that can be done by changing the way you figure the market.

so, yes we are in a recession.. Housing is very low, gas and food prices very high. unemployment is up.

don't live with your head in the sand. Its here..

two, if WDW wants to maintain more consistent attendance, then they could do some simple things.. that cost them "nothing".. remove the "add on" prices for tickets. meaning now you are paying extra for a hopper on your ticket. or paying, so that your ticket is good forever..

Gees.. How many tickets are sitting in drawers at home, with paid days on them throughout the country? Millions.

this now makes WDW affordable to an average family.. or at least manageable.. and it costs DISNEY NOTHING. they just don't get the icing on the icing on top of the cherry that's on top of the icing that's on the cake.

anytime you adjust schedules it cost some money.. this cost nothing.

and trust me, I am sure that WDW can make a go of it on just basic ticket pricing and not this bonus bucks that they added on..

that one move alone may cover your cost of gas for the day. or at least a good portion of it. or it buys you lunch.

but it gives incentive to continue to come to the parks.

and this is not "lowering the ticket price"... so your price point stays the same..

But if you don't think that these parks had better have contingency plans, you are sadly mistaken. and closing one park a day is a viable option.

bfbulldog

I don't think the article is that far off base. After reading it, I'm left with the impression that the one-per-day park closing is a "worst case scenario" that would only happen if tourism really tanked and all the previous cost-saving measures have been exhausted. If nothing else, Disney management is a group of sharp businessmen, and any good businessman would have plans in place in case of a major downturn. Let's all hope that it doesn't happen, and it probably won't, but for all those that say it can't, you probably weren't in the parks in the weeks after 9/11.

Are you kidding. this article is off base on so many basic economic levels it's frightening this guys actually allowed to post articles. The country goes through economic downturns all the time. It's just unfortunate that the 20-35 year olds who write this junk have never been through a significant downturn before and therefore have absolutely no clue as to how the economy operates and is cyclical. I'm off topic though. Riddle me this.

First, how does one reconcile the obvious pricing issues of the hopper passes and the dining plan if this is enacted? If this scenario were enacted both the hopper and dining plans would HAVE to be heavily discounted if not altogether eliminated. Does anyone really believe Disney would cut the prices and further reduce revenues? Maybe they would just stop offering the hoppers and the dining plan altogether and go a-la-carte. This would guarantee a mass exodus of people off Disney property and right into the waiting and Harry Pottered arms of Universal and the rejuvenated Sea World and once again further reducing Disney's revenues?

Second, and here's the big one. People aren't stupid.

If Disney decides to go ahead and close a park and also cuts the open parks hours and reduces the parades and shows and restaurants what makes them think this ploy which only benefits them would compel people to book a vacation there? Simple, they won't. If this sky is falling prophecy comes true, there's absolutely no chance people will accept a 50% experience at a 100% price, they'll simply go elsewhere.

If this scenario were ever implemented it would be a public relations nightmare for Disney from which they might never recover from and it would ensure financial disaster on the company.

mickeymatt

WDW is much like Wal-Mart. It has an enormous amount of money to absorb any slow days that certain parks might have (which I do not believe will ever happen.) And I can even see the day where some parks will be open 24 hours for special events or to accomadate peak season crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom