Kevin Yee- Parks close one day a week?

kc1296426

bfbulldog

This guys articles are always out in left field. His ideas on what Disney will do during a slowdown are ridiculous. You mean to tell me in the history of Disney there has never been a slowdown in attendance? When there has have they ever closed entire parks for days at a time? His conclusions are fantasy. This is the same guy who's written about Dubailand in the MIDDLE EAST overtaking Disneyworld in attendance in the next couple of years? Seriously, what planet is this guy from. I always have to take some time after reading anything he writes to stop laughing at the utter nonsense he puts out.

He's a pot stirrer who's articles are always crying the sky is falling. Pay no attention to the man behind the velvet curtain.

Brwneyedgirl72

Does anyone honestly believe that Disney would deny themselves the revenue by closing a park? I think his statements are ignorant and simply rediculous. Will never happen!

wickedfan07

This won`t happen. Imagine the demands for hopper refunds from tourists (I can only use 3/4 of the hopper today....)

As mentioned, the parks are the busiest in the world. They may cut back on times, as in the mid 70`s energy crisis, but closure would be the last thing to happen.

Yeah, closing one park down one any given day would cause more problems than it would fix. Now, closing parks earlier and cancelling nighttime shows and/or parades on certain days wouldn't be out of the question. For example, let's say Fantasmic is only shown 3 or 4 nights per week instead of every night. DHS would close at 5 or 6 PM on the non-Fantasmic nights and stay open late enough to fit the show in after dark the other nights. The same could go for MK, alternating the days when SpectroMagic and Wishes are shown.

Opening the parks at 10 AM wouldn't be a horrible thing either. Disneyland opens at 10 in the off-season anyway, and many more amusement parks around the US open at 10 AM throughout their entire operating seasons. Plus, if the park opened later, there'd be a better chance of it making up that extra hour at night, when they could be showing the fireworks.

spacemt09

While some of the stuff mentioned in the article I find a hard time believing, I think there are some contingency plans in existence. From what I understand there are a few (backstage, office type) departments that are on a hiring freeze for the remainder of the fiscal year, possibly longer. I also understand that part of the reason the fall park hours took so long to be released was because they were having such a difficult time forecasting what attendance would be.

Anyways, just my $0.02 and bits and pieces of things I've heard...

RiversideBunny

We were at WDW in November 2001 when attendance was low.
They just closed the parks much earlier, like MK at 6 pm.

They also discontinued the boats from Port Orleans to DTD, and stopped the second show of Hoop-De-Do, and used less cast members at the resort check-in desks, etc.

All the parks remained open.

:)

JWG

Ah yes, my favorite Disney columnist who "loves Disney so much" he can't find one positive thing to say about it.

Though, I must admit, I do like his "declining by degrees" column. It is valid that we have accepted less from Disney over the years as they have let some things go at times. Though, this argument is true of all things in all places throughout the world. Not even Disney was immune from "shareholder value".

DisneyJoe

We were in WDW 9/22-9/29 of 2001....no parks closed. Buses and boats ran. Fireworks were shown. Resorts did close off some buildings due to reduced occupancy, but every resort remained open.

Things would need to be worse than 9/11/2001 times for them to even consider this.

TP2000

And yet it's not an unprecedented concept.

For the first 30 years Disneyland was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays for most of the year.

I'm sure the concept of closing one WDW park one day per week is something that could happen in a seriously bad economy. The last time we had a real bad recession (unemployment of 12%, inflation, year after year of falling/stagnant GDP) was the early 1980's. Back then they only had one park, with Epcot coming online just as the economy was improving. They had no option to close one or the other park.

WDW has that option now, if things get bad enough, which is exactly what Kevin Yee was saying when I read the article.

And it's been done before at Disneyland, when Walt Disney was alive and actively leading the company and his theme park.

wdwmomof3

We were at WDW in November 2001 when attendance was low.
They just closed the parks much earlier, like MK at 6 pm.

They also discontinued the boats from Port Orleans to DTD, and stopped the second show of Hoop-De-Do, and used less cast members at the resort check-in desks, etc.

All the parks remained open.

:)

This sounds much more reasonable. I could never picture them closing a park all day, but then again anything is possible if things get bad enough. Hopefully everything will turn back around soon for the better. :animwink:

Philo

I can do this too! Here's my prediction.

"Despite the fact crowds aren't slowing down and off-peak seasons are increasingly busy, I think Disney are planning to cut costs because 2009 will see only 10 people staying in any one resort on property. Therefor each resort will only be accepting guests for one month of each year. If you arrive in January then you will be in GF, in Feb then it's POR for you and March will take guests to All Stars. Because of this decline in guests, World Showcase will only be open on weekends whislt individual countries would open for special national holidays."

Back to Kevin's article though, I can't see it happening. I'm pretty sure that on any given day the parks will run at profit (I've been to enough empty themeparks in my time which have been operating like that for years). If you close down any park you risk annoying guests en-mass and I don't see Disney wanting to do that.

JerseySkiddie

the thing with the DL arguement is that (especially in the early days) it caters to more local people than WDW which is much more of a destination for people coming from far away.

brainpile3000

I guess Yee forgot to listen to the quarterly results conference calls where Eisner stated that attendance and resort bookings were out pacing those of last year... if the economy is really that bad, then Disney is feeling no effects from it.

... although the CFO did just exercise some of his options before scheduled....:lookaroun

DisneyJoe

the thing with the DL arguement is that (especially in the early days) it caters to more local people than WDW which is much more of a destination for people coming from far away.

My thoughts exactly.

Do you think they would post the WDW parks that were going to be closed 180 days in advance?

wedway71

Yes,Kevin is "Debbie Downer"-WA,WA,WA when it comes to Disney,but yet he makes a bunch of money on the place he rags on...DISNEY.

WDW is way to busy to close down any major parks and what happens to Disney Resort Guests if Parks close?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom