Keeping children out of school to go to WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphlaw

Let's sum this up

Here are the issues:

1. If kids miss school to go to Disney, they should make up the work.

2. Making up the work should not slow down the rest of the class, and it should not take up an inordinate amount of the teacher's time. If it does, then it is irresponsible and a burden on others for you to go.

3. Most parents who have to travel a fair distance to get to Disney World, probably make more than average money because of the costs involved. People with money are usually better educated. Therefore, the parents probably (but not always) feel that education is important and will be responsible enough to make sure their kid does not fall behind and will not be a burden to the teacher or the rest of the class.

4. Vacation is earned by people who work hard. Vacation is not a right to be given to the lazy, irresponsible, burdensome, or slothful. Therefore, if the kid is a bum in school, the kid should NOT be rewarded with a vacation. Also, it sends a poor message to have the lazy, bratty kid going to Disney when good kids do not have the chance to go.

5. All grades are important, Kindergarten through Professional schooling. Kids learn at different paces, so some boredom is inevitable, especially in the earlier grades. Nevertheless, Kindergarteners and 1st graders are learning to read, to do simple math, to be creative, and to sing, follow-directions, and play together. These are life skills, folks. Those people who do not realize this probably forgot, or do not see that some kindergarteners do not come in recognizing numbers, ABC's, colors, and do not know how to follow directions or play well with others.

6. It is the kid's and the parent's responsibilities to make sure the kid does not fall behind, with the teacher's help. But it is not the teacher's responsibility to simply suck it up do all the to get the kid caught up.

7. Most teachers would love to have the budget and resources to take kids to wonderful places around the world to enhance the learning process. But don't belittle a teacher by saying insulting things such as: "Junior will learn tons more at Disney than he will in your schoolroom." I doubt if core learning such as reading, algebra, physics and literature can be learned by most students without regular classroom methods. Great journeys can enhance the learning process, but they are not a substitute for core learning.

8. If you're going to Disney, tell the teacher and administration humbly that you are doing so. Then, bring back gifts for the teacher and classmates if possible.

9. Excessive vacations by some students can affect an entire class and school system. These days, if the class test averages are brought down, the teacher, the school, and the school district all lose out. Consequently, dollars may be lost, and then ALL the students and teachers pay the price. This is one reason why school districts get tough on these issues.

10. For older kids, don't whine if your kid misses a scholarship or admittance into a prestigious college because of one bad test score and the resulting drop in Grade Point Average. Too bad. Mickey was obviously more important to you than Harvard. Of course, if a teacher refuses to accomodate you on rescheduling tests, talk to the principal. That is probably uncalled for.

With that being said, we took my son to Disney during the school year for three years in a row. But we worked hard and were humble about it. However, if my son was having trouble in school or was a discipline problem, he would not be going. Case closed.

'Nuff said.

disneymojo

My 2 boys are in year round school, so we always go the first week of December and beat the rush. Their school year starts in July, then they have the month of August off. They go to school for 3 months and then have a month off, so August, December, and April are vacation months. The rest of the months they have school. I'm not sure what we will do when the oldest one goes to middle school, I guess we'll see if we can take him out for a week or so, but at least for now we still have a couple of years to do it like this.

David

We have gone in October during Fall Break and have another trip planned for this year. But AFTER we had booked our trip and payed for the airfare, the state increased the school year by 5 days and the week for fall break was taken away. The schools did give a 2 day break, but it's a different week. But we explained the situation to the principal. (our son is now in middle school) and we were given permission for him to miss. The teachers may give him a list of homework to do, or they may just require a report of some type.

pinkrose

David said:
We have gone in October during Fall Break and have another trip planned for this year. But AFTER we had booked our trip and payed for the airfare, the state increased the school year by 5 days and the week for fall break was taken away. The schools did give a 2 day break, but it's a different week. But we explained the situation to the principal. (our son is now in middle school) and we were given permission for him to miss. The teachers may give him a list of homework to do, or they may just require a report of some type.
Yeah, the same thing happened to us in Shelby County.

ilovepluto23

hankhill said:
How about you have issues!

There is a point at which your responsibility ends and the parents begins and it is called the school doors. If you as a teacher ever had something to say about how I parent my kids I would rip them out of your class so fast your head would spin. :mad:

Who are you to have a right to tell me when my kids can and cant go to vacation? If I want to waste a week of my school tax dollars that is my business. And the thought that "how much better your child would be if they didnt go and see Mickey Mouse" is moronic at best. I would rather spend the time with my child and experience life with them.

Maybe nobody ever told you that work and school are no the important things in this life. And neither is Disney but the time that is spent together can never be replaced and if that costs them a bit in one place it is surely made up in other areas of their development.

You need to get this real clear. You are neither their parent nor their advocate you are their teacher for one year and that is it. Do your best in the classroom and then say bye bye. As Bill Murray once said..."Lighten up Francis"

:brick:

Very good point :sohappy:

hankhill

Another one

kachow said:
Hankhill, it's not about tax dollars, blah, blah, blah. The school system is responsible for your child's education, and that extends to the home, with homework, etc. Truancy laws gave the school the right to tell you when your kid needs to be in school. If you don't like it, then rip your kids out of class. Home-school your kids. Your lack of respect for the education system is a disgrace. Truly. This goes beyond a simple discussion about vacations. I'm sorry, but I'm not even a teacher and I can't take the lack of respect you have.

Are you going to try to save my kids from me too?

And no myself and my child are responsible for my childs education. Not the state. They are the public extension the education plan for my kids.

My lack of respect is reserved for those who are not worthy of it and take their "responsibility" to my children over the edge. Save your outrage and read the posts. The tax dollars situation was brought up by tinkish and I responded to it. Lets get this clear what we are talking about is whether or not you should or should not take your kids out of school for a week. Some folks, like yourself and tinkish, have taken things way out of proportion and have accused anyone who has of having disrespect for the education system and doing a disservice to their kids. In reality actually spending time with your children and getting to know and understand them, whether in Disney or not, is the point of it all.

Get a clue and lighten up.

hankhill

P.s.

tinkish said:
I think some of you have been posting very hurtful comments. No one deserves such nasty remarks, especially considering how much I care about the subject. I don't think children should miss school for vacations. I think that because I have first hand knowledge about what happens to students when they do.

I love the projection. You stand firm in a belief that is challenged by three quarters of the respondants and then you cry about how beat up you get???? Then dont post a such a stance in a public forum if you dont want people to challenge you.

kachow said:
Truancy laws gave the school the right to tell you when your kid needs to be in school. .

I'll make sure to tell everyone I know to send their kids to school when they are sick so that the school/truancy officer can decide whether or not the child is to sick to be in school.

joelleharbert

kachow said:
Hankhill, it's not about tax dollars, blah, blah, blah. The school system is responsible for your child's education, and that extends to the home, with homework, etc. Truancy laws gave the school the right to tell you when your kid needs to be in school. If you don't like it, then rip your kids out of class. Home-school your kids. Your lack of respect for the education system is a disgrace. Truly. This goes beyond a simple discussion about vacations. I'm sorry, but I'm not even a teacher and I can't take the lack of respect you have.

Goodness grief! How did a forum about taking a week's vacation to WDW during school months turn into this? Honestly, if you look at the big picture, one week won't kill anyone and a child's/preteen's/teenager's memories are going to last a heck of a lot longer than one stinking algebra test or whatever. Come on! Quit insulting others and please, for those that think they're saving the world one student at a time, be real. I work with my kids at home relentlessly and they are excellent students and I understand not all parents are like this. However, if these same parents want to spend some quality time with their kids, by all means, who are any of you to say they can't? Some people have jobs that do not allow them to take off the summer months or holidays. My parents took me on vacations all through school and yes, I had trig, and Honors English, and all the rest of the "advanced" classes and I still managed to get good grades and have a great time with my family.

Tigger1988

joelleharbert said:
Goodness grief! How did a forum about taking a week's vacation to WDW during school months turn into this? Honestly, if you look at the big picture, one week won't kill anyone and a child's/preteen's/teenager's memories are going to last a heck of a lot longer than one stinking algebra test or whatever. Come on! Quit insulting others and please, for those that think they're saving the world one student at a time, be real. I work with my kids at home relentlessly and they are excellent students and I understand not all parents are like this. However, if these same parents want to spend some quality time with their kids, by all means, who are any of you to say they can't? Some people have jobs that do not allow them to take off the summer months or holidays. My parents took me on vacations all through school and yes, I had trig, and Honors English, and all the rest of the "advanced" classes and I still managed to get good grades and have a great time with my family.

Exactly, honestly if your child is keeping up with their work to start it won't be a huge deal when they miss a few days/ a week. Im in High School and this Dec I'll be missing a week of school, I'm not that worried.

Slowjack

tigsmom said:
((HUGS)) kids here learn PowerPoint in kindergarten. No nap times, full day instruction. :wave:

From my point of view it would be better if no one learned Powerpoint, children most of all--I think of it as a tool for destroying organized thought, but that's off-topic.

On-topic, just to offer my two cents...our little girl is just three months old, and I don't know when we'll be going with her (probably not until she's at least four, maybe older). Except for the distant past, though, we've always gone in the fall, and I can't say I'll feel too guilty if we do that with her when she's school age. But a lot of that depends on her and what her school experience is like. If I think she'll really be hurt by it I'd at least consider moving to a different time.

I'm all for education--I'm a professor myself. But the reality is, when you're on your deathbed, you might wish you'd spent another week at Disney World with your family, but you're not likely to wish you'd spent another week in school.

autumndawn1006

Slowjack said:
I'm all for education--I'm a professor myself. But the reality is, when you're on your deathbed, you might wish you'd spent another week at Disney World with your family, but you're not likely to wish you'd spent another week in school.

I couldn't agree with you more and that is a wonderful way of expressing it! I give up a lot to give my kids a private education because I value education very highly. With that being said, I can not imagine anything that is more important to me than time with my family. If that opportunity comes outside of summer, so be it.

Dagger

Is this a joke? :D

Education is important but how much do you learn in a week or two? Can you not make up the work? How much of grade school and high school actually applies to real life?

RenegadeMilkmen

This post is strange to me. I'm 16, and my family has taken vacations to WDW during the school year about 4 times in my life, and the schools never had a problem with it, and both the schools I've attended in my life are Catholic/Private schools too. They give you some work to do and stuff to read for the car ride, but thats it really.

Are there really schools out there that give people a problem with this? If there is, then all I have to say is... wow.

Daniellkerbell

I have taken my daughter out of school since K. She is now going in to 8th grade and the schools have never had a problem with after a while it was something they expected every year from us and we will do it all the way until she graduates. She has never ever had any problems with her school work because of Disney trips.....

We took our sons out last year for 3 days and will be taking them out for 2 in December for a early Christmas vacation to WDW. And we will probably take them out for 2 days when we try and avoid Mardi Gras next Feb. They are in 6th & 9th grade and both 4.0 students and very seldom miss any school(those 3 days for disney were the only ones each of them missed last year). The teachers knew ahead of time and gave them makeup work so we never had any trouble with the school or teachers.

bingie

I'm currently finishing my Engineering Degree with great marks.

Now, would you believe that i took time off in elementary school, junior high and high school to go on vacations?

Seriously, 20 years after the missed time from school - does it really matter at all?? Wow...so the kids average was a point lower....no one died...and everyone had fun.

:)

FatBoy976

My mom used to take my brother out of school once or twice a year to go to Disney World. We always had assignments we had to finish on vacation and turn in when we returned. It was great, there were never any crowds when we would go and I think it was also cheaper because it was off-season. Of course, I was a little kid, so I don't have any idea what it would cost. I don't think us missing class had any lasting negative effects. I got my Mechanical Engineering degree from Georgia Tech and my brother is currently at med school at Harvard. Even kids need a break from school to have a little fun and creativity. They'll have to work hard enough when they are forced to grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom