Keeping children out of school to go to WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennygman

Just thought I'd chime in with my two cents on the whole state of education in America argument. I don't personally care for the education my children would receive in public schools. I was a youth pastor for 10 years and saw MANY people graduate high school and couldn't read or write functionally. I work hard, pay my taxes and then send my kids to private school. They are both straight A students and test in high percentile on standardized tests. I take them out of school at least 1 day every few weeks just to spend some time with them. We call it "Daddy day." My kids look forward to it and are willing to do the extra work to make up for it.

I don't feel it is irresponsible for a parent to spend time with their children. I've never heard someone on their deathbed say, "I wish my kids would have gone to school more," or "I wish I would have put in more time at the office." But I have heard many people say they wish they had spent more time with their family.

Unplugged

tinkish said:
If your child has an unexcused absence (and vacation time is not excused) your school district loses money. And while your child may only miss a few days, when its combined with absences of other children, it really adds up.

And if your child is a great student, imagine how much MORE they could achieve if they didn't miss any days of school to go see Mickey Mouse.

I see and appreciate your concern from this and your other postings. I suppose I'm not the average parent as my experiences in grade school were good, but middle/high school were what I felt was substandard. Thus my interest in being proactive in my sons education outside of the school environment. I was not afforded such help at home or in school.

I find too many upper class schools are sports-centric with teachers acting as coaches and funding driving more sports programs than technology and science programs. I am geniunely not concerned about the money my local schools lose based on the time my son sits in their chairs as I see so much money mis-appropriated throughout the systems. I, as a parent whos primary focus is that of my child, am more concerned about his balanced upbringing, inclusive of education and family time.

As a side note, if a student is a great student, spending additional time in the seat of a classroom does not, with any ensurance, improve their ability. I have seen far too many great student lose interest and become board due to the slow rate at which new information is presented, the dumbing down of content for the remaining students, and the narrowed focus that programs must have to address increasing class sizes. My opinion is that students who excel are worthy of fluctutations in schedule as it will provide additional challenge and stimulus outside the of what could potentially be a limiting program. If their skills are high, 1 week absence whilst still completing the assignments remotely, will not impede their progress.

I would say my concern, knowing that not all parents have the same focus, is that I am forced to the constraints of a faulty system that must, itself, place these constraints due to some faulty parenting. It's unfortunate that our systems are not capable of defining policy based on individual student requirements to ensure their needs are met and are balanced with life opportunities. This would certainly extend the potential of advanced students and offer extended points of interest to stimulate those not doing as well. Certainly we can all agree that the overall educational system in this country, inclusive of parents, policies, funding, etc. needs some serious attention.

Unplugged

kennygman said:
I don't feel it is irresponsible for a parent to spend time with their children. I've never heard someone on their deathbed say, "I wish my kids would have gone to school more," or "I wish I would have put in more time at the office." But I have heard many people say they wish they had spent more time with their family.

Kudos to your effort and thanks for your comments! As your kids are obviously a few years older than mine, I believe you've proven the points I was attempting to make. Your kids sound intelligent, well balanced, and that they appreciate a quality family life without a focus of the seat they need to occupy to meet the state's budget requirements.:sohappy:

mikeymouse

I remember having to take school work to WDW with me when we went in the fall the one year. It was horrible. I never could enjoy anything. I had to stay at the hotel and do all this crap. It was just unbearable. Once we came back, I still didn't have it all done. Maybe I just had some evil teachers.

Scar Junior

I think its a great idea. They'll learn more than what public school can teach them. Also keep in mind it's not just grade schoolers who leave to go to WDW.... the College Program is responsible for delaying the graduation of thousands of kids! And worth every minute of it!

CubsRock

I have been to Disney World during school just after Thanksgiving, it was a "side trip" because i was in FL for my Grandpa's 80th Birthday. Also, some school bands and choirs preform at disney during the school year

MickeyTigg

Slowjack said:
I'm all for education--I'm a professor myself. But the reality is, when you're on your deathbed, you might wish you'd spent another week at Disney World with your family, but you're not likely to wish you'd spent another week in school.

My thoughts exactly.

:sohappy:

MickeyTigg

tinkish said:
If your child has an unexcused absence (and vacation time is not excused) your school district loses money.

This is just plain wrong. There are designated "Attendance Count" days that determine the money the districts get from the state. At least that's how it works in Wisconsin. Of course my kids don't go to public school....they go to private school and they get my money either way.

As for losing money....in Wisconsin...the average school district spends over $8000 per student....I think that's more than enough money, especially since private schools do it for much less and have better results. I think most districts can afford to lose a bit of money.

tinkish said:
And if your child is a great student, imagine how much MORE they could achieve if they didn't miss any days of school to go see Mickey Mouse.

You have to be kidding me...this is one of the most idiotic statements made in this thread. I don't even know where to start with this. A few more days with the teacher is not going to improve them all that much...maybe the teacher should stop taking a day out of the school calendar every month for stupid inservices...think then how much smarter my kid would be.

Personally...I think the the trend to make everything a mini-project is a concerted effort by teachers to make it nearly impossible to take your kids out of school for any reason. You don't have the 1 or 2 big projects anymore....book reports are projects. Theme projects in other subjects. I swear my 4th grader must have had 6 mini-projects last year on top of the big projects....that's really making him a better student.

You can have your opinion...you're entitled to that...but don't you dare imply that what I do is wrong. To me family time is the most important thing in life...without your family, you have nothing. A few days out of school every year isn't going to ruin their education...it just isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom