Keeping children out of school to go to WDW

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachow

I don't have as much of a problem with people ultimately deciding to take their kids out of school as I do some of the attitudes being exemplified. I pay their salary so they better do what I want? I educate my kids, not the schools? Get over yourself.

nyy102

My parents never let me miss a day of school for anything but real sickness, and I guess that has rubbed off on me in regards to how I view missing school for non-sicknesses, yet I have to admit that, when I have children, if I want to take them to WDW while they are in school, I will not let school get in the way of that, unless it was during a time when one or more of my children would be taking midterms or finals or state exams, but I am sure I could plan around that.:)

tinkish

BRER STITCH said:
Never let school get in the way of your children's education!!!

:)

Family first....ALWAYS!

Since when is supporting your child's education being anti-family?!? I'm a teacher. I'm here to help your child, and help you. I give of my own time, and my own money for you and your child. I'm not the enemy.

ilovepluto23

tinkish said:
I know all too well that not all parents work with their children at home with reading and writing. In fact about half my students don't even have children's books at home, nor do they have anyone working with them on homework. For many of them I'm the only one fighting for their education. When they leave to go on vacation, I can't be there for them. So, do you understand now why I feel so strongly about this?

I know where you're coming from. Teaching is your passion.

I'm in Nursing school (concentrating in pediatrics), and health/medicine is a passion of mine. I can relate to how you feel about a child's education with a child's health in my view.

I still think that I would personally take my children out for a week once a year to go to WDW. However, I would be working with them while they aren't at school (with Disney-related education such as activity books or children's books...might as well psyche them up for the trip).

Let's just face it though. Some (probably most) people were not/are not meant to have children. We can't really do anything about who becomes parents though. So I guess it's just all in a matter of parenting styles.
I know the majority of parents out there aren't all that great seeing the children that go to my mom's preschool. Bad parents = bad kids(not always, but the majority of the time.)

BRER STITCH

tinkish said:
Since when is supporting your child's education being anti-family?!? I'm a teacher. I'm here to help your child, and help you. I give of my own time, and my own money for you and your child. I'm not the enemy.

WOW!

You don't read and comprehend very well for a teacher. :eek: (Or did you mean to quote someone else?) :confused:

I didn't see anything about education being anti-family before you mentioned it.

Whatever you do for a living, you've never done anything for me or anyone I know. You must be giving all your time and money to someone else's family, so I hope they appreciate it. :lookaroun

Glad to know you're not the enemy....but still not quite sure who ever said you were. :veryconfu

Hope you have a better day!

:wave:

Nemo14 said:
I think we're all pretty much in agreement here that our kids' education and our vacation time with them are both important to their well-being. As long as we keep a balance in their lives with emphasis on what's best for them in the long run, then we're doing OK as parents. JMHO

I 2nd that!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

ilovepluto23

my biggest thing about not taking your children out of school for a WDW vacation is that the only time that they are off is in the hottest part of the year (Unless you go during a crowded holiday like Christmas, Easter, etc.)

Florida is really hot. Going to Destin, FL last year, I realized that I cannot stand the heat. After 90 minutes on the beach I was in danger of heat stroke. I was blacking out, weak, etc. I was drinking Gatorade all morning and during my trip to the beach. Therefore, I can't handle heat (and I'm from Louisiana which is almost the same climate as FL).

I like going in January and February b/c of the cooler weather. There are no holidays during that time (except the 3 day vacation for Mardi Gras in February/March...which the school board didn't give this year b/c of Hurrican Katrina). So, the only option would be to take my children out of school.
It's worth it to me. I am just too miserable at WDW in the summer. I'd rather be cooler so my enjoyment will be greater:)

PaulTetul

I was let out of school every year untill grade 9 to go to disney. Its not taht big of deal. You dont miss much school in one week

tigsmom

ilovepluto23 said:
my biggest thing about not taking your children out of school for a WDW vacation is that the only time that they are off is in the hottest part of the year (Unless you go during a crowded holiday like Christmas, Easter, etc.)

Florida is really hot. Going to Destin, FL last year, I realized that I cannot stand the heat. After 90 minutes on the beach I was in danger of heat stroke. I was blacking out, weak, etc. I was drinking Gatorade all morning and during my trip to the beach. Therefore, I can't handle heat (and I'm from Louisiana which is almost the same climate as FL).

I like going in January and February b/c of the cooler weather. There are no holidays during that time (except the 3 day vacation for Mardi Gras in February/March...which the school board didn't give this year b/c of Hurrican Katrina). So, the only option would be to take my children out of school.
It's worth it to me. I am just too miserable at WDW in the summer. I'd rather be cooler so my enjoyment will be greater:)

That will vary from state to state & district to district.

We get the Jewish holidays in October, President's Day (long weekend) in February and a long weekend for MLK Jr.'s birthday in March...those were the times we took the long weekend (one day off from school on each side) to visit WDW.

I guess it really all comes down to personal choice and it is really nobody else's business but our own.

tinkish

BRER STITCH said:
WOW!

You don't read and comprehend very well for a teacher. :eek: (Or did you mean to quote someone else?) :confused:

I didn't see anything about education being anti-family before you mentioned it.

Whatever you do for a living, you've never done anything for me or anyone I know. You must be giving all your time and money to someone else's family, so I hope they appreciate it. :lookaroun

Glad to know you're not the enemy....but still not quite sure who ever said you were. :veryconfu

Hope you have a better day!

:wave:

I thought your post implied negative feelings towards the educational system. Don't act like you don't know what I'm refering too...unless its too hard for you to understand. I'm concerned with how all of my students, and all of OUR students in the country perform in school. Its too bad you don't share my concern.

hankhill

Issues

tinkish said:
I know all too well that not all parents work with their children at home with reading and writing. In fact about half my students don't even have children's books at home, nor do they have anyone working with them on homework. For many of them I'm the only one fighting for their education. When they leave to go on vacation, I can't be there for them. So, do you understand now why I feel so strongly about this?

How about you have issues!

There is a point at which your responsibility ends and the parents begins and it is called the school doors. If you as a teacher ever had something to say about how I parent my kids I would rip them out of your class so fast your head would spin. :mad:

Who are you to have a right to tell me when my kids can and cant go to vacation? If I want to waste a week of my school tax dollars that is my business. And the thought that "how much better your child would be if they didnt go and see Mickey Mouse" is moronic at best. I would rather spend the time with my child and experience life with them.

Maybe nobody ever told you that work and school are no the important things in this life. And neither is Disney but the time that is spent together can never be replaced and if that costs them a bit in one place it is surely made up in other areas of their development.

You need to get this real clear. You are neither their parent nor their advocate you are their teacher for one year and that is it. Do your best in the classroom and then say bye bye. As Bill Murray once said..."Lighten up Francis"

:brick:

BRER STITCH

tinkish said:
I thought your post implied negative feelings towards the educational system. Don't act like you don't know what I'm refering too...unless its too hard for you to understand. I'm concerned with how all of my students, and all of OUR students in the country perform in school. Its too bad you don't share my concern.

Well.....I'll leave you to save the children of this country, because it sounds like you actually believe you are the only on who can do it.

Good luck with that.

No need to worry about me. I have my own concerns.

:)WHAT THE HELL IS 1 WEEK OR LESS GOIN 2 MATTER IF CHILDREN ARE GOING ON VACATION DURING SCHOOL. I THINK KIDS DESERVE A LITTLE BREAK 2 HAVE FUN... ITS ONLY A FEW DAYS:brick: ITS NOT LIKE THERE MISSING MONTHS...MY MOM USE TO TAKE US ALL THE TIME WHEN I WAS IN ELEMENTRY SCHOOL ONCE A YEAR, MY TEACHER WOULD GIVE US MY MISSED SCHOOL WORK AND HOMEWORK IN ADVANCE SO IM NOT BEHIND AND WE WOULD DO IT ON THE PLANE!

kachow

Hankhill, it's not about tax dollars, blah, blah, blah. The school system is responsible for your child's education, and that extends to the home, with homework, etc. Truancy laws gave the school the right to tell you when your kid needs to be in school. If you don't like it, then rip your kids out of class. Home-school your kids. Your lack of respect for the education system is a disgrace. Truly. This goes beyond a simple discussion about vacations. I'm sorry, but I'm not even a teacher and I can't take the lack of respect you have.

tinkish

hankhill said:
How about you have issues!

There is a point at which your responsibility ends and the parents begins and it is called the school doors. If you as a teacher ever had something to say about how I parent my kids I would rip them out of your class so fast your head would spin. :mad:

Who are you to have a right to tell me when my kids can and cant go to vacation? If I want to waste a week of my school tax dollars that is my business. And the thought that "how much better your child would be if they didnt go and see Mickey Mouse" is moronic at best. I would rather spend the time with my child and experience life with them.

Maybe nobody ever told you that work and school are no the important things in this life. And neither is Disney but the time that is spent together can never be replaced and if that costs them a bit in one place it is surely made up in other areas of their development.

You need to get this real clear. You are neither their parent nor their advocate you are their teacher for one year and that is it. Do your best in the classroom and then say bye bye. As Bill Murray once said..."Lighten up Francis"

Fine. *sigh* Thanks for your kind words.

BRER STITCH

hankhill said:
I would rather spend the time with my child and experience life with them.

Well said, HANKHILL! :sohappy:

I tried to make that point earlier, with no luck.

Time with my family has never.....EVER....affected scholastic performance.

tinkish

I think some of you have been posting very hurtful comments. No one deserves such nasty remarks, especially considering how much I care about the subject. I don't think children should miss school for vacations. I think that because I have first hand knowledge about what happens to students when they do.

The Mak

tinkish said:
I think some of you have been posting very hurtful comments. No one deserves such nasty remarks, especially considering how much I care about the subject. I don't think children should miss school for vacations. I think that because I have first hand knowledge about what happens to students when they do.

dontcryed2.gif

MinnieMommy

Parents know their children better then anyone else in the world!! This is why we home school. A parent should make a decision about taking their chid out of school for vacation based on their child and their family. There are always exceptions to this. I taught for several years in the schools and I saw many children who needed school to become even the least bit literate. However, I do not feel that it is the job of a school board or staff to dictate my family life within the barriers of the law. (Once again a reason we home school) Tink, I respect that you are working so hard for the sake of your students. I know the personal time and $$ I spent while teaching. However, some life experiences can be more educational than a week in the classroom. This is really a personal choice for the parents. :wave:

justducky78

Seriously, some of these posts are ridiculous. We're talking a week or so, out of school, to take a family vacation. It's none of the school's business when or why parents take the kids out of school. You can't expect everyone's schedule to revolve around the school year, even if kids do have the summer off and winter/spring vacation...particularly since this is usually the most expensive time to travel. As long as the parents give the school notice...kids can always take a little homework with them on the plane, etc.

My parents took me out of school when I was in grade school and high school...not every year, but a week here or there, and I survived. I made up the work when I returned and I graduated from HS, with more than enough credits.

No offense - but kids are not going to forget everything they learned in a weeks time. Taking your kids out for a week means you don't honor your child's education? Education is important, but give me a break! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom