Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

doctornick

The extra Asia loop that includes Expedition Everest takes away some of the hidden areas. As would the new location of Festival of the Lion King. Having said that, I've suggested adding elements along the river so that the Discovery River Boats could be brought back, and use that "new" addition to absorb crowds during much needed refurbs to Expedition Everest and Dinosaur

Exactly my thought too. I don't know if the old dragon smoke effects are still able to be reactivated, but it seems possible to create -- in limited form -- the concept of Beastly Kingdom as something to see from the boats with some additions riverside. I mean, if they wanted to actually invest in it a bit, they could put in an AA dragon within a cave and do a spiel about mythical creatures.

I know that the Discovery Boats were not that popular or viewed as "worth it", but the solution to that would be to modify the experience by adding elements to make it more interesting. The major infrastructure is there and it would be a relatively easy family friendly addition which would increase capacity.

Killnme

I wear a rain suit, I know-dork, but even with it I get a little wet. The water always finds a way through the hood.
I have never been on there where every person didn't get at least a little wet and at least half were soaked.
I think the weight distribution has something to do with who gets soaked. My daughter, her friend and I were the only ones in our raft last summer at early hours, and we got soaked because the weight kept us backward most of the trip and that's where you get the wettest.

You are not a dork. My daughter loves this ride, so when we go on it I make sure to wear a swimsuit and bring a different shirt to change into. That way I don't feel yucking the rest of the day.

Clever Name

DAK's original rides are even more elusive experiences than any obscure EPCOT Center or 50s Disneyland ride!

Who has ridden Countdown to Extinction (Dinosaur before it was crap), had the Yeti lunge at him, seen Kali with fire, walked the secret path from Africa to Asia, sailed the Discovery River Boats?
I've done them all and got the T-shirt. I've also had the pleasure to experience the Radio Disney River Cruise. It was so magical that mere words are not enough to describe this attraction. :p

MickeyPeace

Just as an aside, last May when I rode Kali a strange sight happened. When we were approaching the bend just before the drop, three CM managers (white shirts) appeared on the far ledge (left side) and started walking around, pointing to things and talking amongst themselves.

I thought it strange that

A-they just appeared. I always assumed that part of the ride was highly elevated. It must be an illusion.

B- Managers would be so unphased by completely creating bad show. They were acting like guests weren't there.

By the time I reached for my camera it was too late. Would have made some great pics.

_Boolean

So, Kali opened after its 6 week refurb. Guess what? It's worse now than before. In a park where show quality is ignored its no surprise, but sadly it is another nail in the coffin of the level WDW once held itself to
Yeah, but then you realize that you're at Disney World and you forget about all of the negatives. =)

(Oh please don't respond with a hate response xP)

Tom

Beta Return
But it would be one more attraction open to absorb the crowds when they take down Everest to fix the embarrassment that it is.

Exactly. Sort of like the Dinoland carnival rides.

And, actually, sort of like the Tomorrowland Speedway. Many people have no use for it, and it is by no means a stellar attraction, but it eats crowds better than a landscaped hill.

MKCP 1985

But it would be one more attraction open to absorb the crowds when they take down Everest to fix the embarrassment that it is.
Exactly. Sort of like the Dinoland carnival rides.

And, actually, sort of like the Tomorrowland Speedway. Many people have no use for it, and it is by no means a stellar attraction, but it eats crowds better than a landscaped hill.

It would absorb crowds and make them angry when they realize they have been duped into taking a boat ride to nowhere with no real entertainment factor "hey, Radio Disney." At least, that was the effect it had on me back in 1999.

At least Tomorrowland Speedway you know what it is . . . a driving opportunity for kids too young to get behind the wheel of a real car.

DisneyGuyNYC

If someone compares either Disney or Universal to Six Flags, they should be put on medication. Too bad that comparing Universal to Six Flags are some Disney-obsessive's way of putting down Universal. However, I believe you're right when it comes to actual maintenance. Disney is slipping, and it's obvious.

And I think WDW will get Splash Mountain right. It's such an iconic attraction and it was in such a sad state, there is no way they could possibly not give it the refurbishment it needs... Right?
Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahaha.

See you when it's just a slow moving boat shaped like Stitch wading through a DVD sales section with a really great queue that breaks down the first week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom