Just who IS in those costumes? AND are they coached how to act?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I understand what you're saying. It's just sad people are trying to offend themselves using your comment. You said nothing wrong, and I totally understand and agree with what you're saying.

No one is saying there's anything wrong with losing yourself in the fantasy. But, if you truly are lost in the fantasy, how does the gender of the character performer make any difference? It's no longer a female Mickey, it's *just* Mickey if that's how you feel.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I can understand that. I just don't understand how the knowledge that the person inside might be a different gender than the character makes it harder to lose yourself in the fantasy.

That is, in order to lose yourself, you have to pretend that there isn't a person in there, so why does the gender of the person you pretend isn't there even matter?

Best line in this whole thread!

Rook26

I was wondering about the OPs questions too... a couple of weeks ago during a Woody and Buzz Meet and Greet, I could swear Woody was hitting on me. I thought I was crazy but my wife saw it too. So based on that Durnesque link either it was a 6'2"-6'3" female or I am attracting the wrong type (for me that is, not that there's anything wrong with that). I guess I'm flattered either way. :ROFLOL:

captainkidd

No one is saying there's anything wrong with losing yourself in the fantasy. But, if you truly are lost in the fantasy, how does the gender of the character performer make any difference? It's no longer a female Mickey, it's *just* Mickey if that's how you feel.

It's not as if I think about it while I'm there. It's afterwards, when reading a thread like this. Obviously, I've been going to Disney long enough that I know that Minnie could be a guy or Mickey could be a girl. Like I said, when I'm there I suspend belief. It doesn't occur to me. But when thinking about it after the fact, it just takes something away from it. Call it being passive aggressive I suppose.

draybook

Maybe the OP isn't comfortable with the idea of a male playing the role of a female and interacting with him? Too much PC in today's society.

draybook

How do you know there weren't people uncomfortable with it then? And who said there's a problem now? I don't see anyone saying they won't go to WDW anymore, or quit interacting with the characters. Put down the pitchforks and torches people, geez.

Maybe the OP isn't comfortable with the idea of a male playing the role of a female and interacting with him? Too much PC in today's society.

There's a difference between being politically incorrect and being completely nonsensical. Characters' friends are hired to, within a ridiculously uncomfortable costume which deliberately hides any distinguishable human features, deliver a performance. They're. Performers. They're playing a role and aiming to make each guest's experience magical.

Chances are that if they got hired in the first placed after audition, they were and continue to be able to deliver a quality performance, along with their fellow employees. That means that you will get the same caliber of performance from the character, whether their "friend" is female or male, whether they identify as a guy or a girl, whether they're a bright pink dinosaur. And that's what matters.

If the point of character interactions was to forge a romantic relationship in some weird two-minute ritual, you could very well plead political incorrectness and everything would be fine. But if a completely platonic interaction with a character who may or may not be a dude beneath the costume is that nervewrecking/disgusting, then there may be bigger problems to deal with than a dedication to political incorrectness.

Also, it's not a crime to think progressively. Or logically. Reveling in stagnation seems not-very-21st-century-at-all.

MickeyPeace

I highly doubt that Disney put a female in a male costume or vice versa to be PC or that anyone here is asking what does it matter to be PC.

We are talking common sense or the lack thereof. We are talking CS. Too little CS in today's society. :p

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Clearly this thread is about the lucky few who get to be the characters' personal biographers, right? :)
They are trained in the generalities of character work, but working with specifics characters is up to the biographer.

Walt Disney1955

I've always felt that Minnie, Daisy and often Mickey and Donald are young girls. Or shorter women. The reason being is that I am 6'2" and when I stand next to them I tower over them and if that is a male in there, it is a very short male. Now Goofy or Tigger? I've always figured its a male in there. Goofy has got to be 6'3", 6'4" in there just by comparison with me. Captain Hook? A male as far as I am concerned. I'd be surprised if a female is ever in a Goofy costume, but I suppose it could have happened.

Jiminy Cricket has got to be a girl in there. The smallest character I've ever stood next to.

But what are the chances that Daisy and Minnie could be men? I would say pretty remote. I think most men would have a hard time acting in character like that all day. I know I would even if I knew it was my job. There are certain mannerisms that a girl has that most men don't and it can shine through at certain times. But it isn't as if I've lifted their heads off to find out either.

captainkidd

But what are the chances that Daisy and Minnie could be men? I would say pretty remote. I think most men would have a hard time acting in character like that all day. I know I would even if I knew it was my job. There are certain mannerisms that a girl has that most men don't and it can shine through at certain times. But it isn't as if I've lifted their heads off to find out either.

Colton from Survivor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom