Just watched new Disney planning DVD!!

Ringo8n24

I like it because finally we did get some new shots of everything and without the same old family quotes of the past ("my daughter cried..." lady was annoying). I did, however, think some of the cosmetics of the hosts were lacking. The one hostess, I believe her name is Erin??, had many shots where her hair was way out of whack. They should have been "hold on, you have a big cow-lick across your face...let me fix it" then shoot the scene. I know it is petty, but I just wanted to flick that one group of bangs back with the rest of her hair everytime I saw it. Sorry, had to get it off my chest. :lookaroun

Ashitaka

Overall I liked this new planning kit. Except for Luke, who was annoying, I thought the hosts were alright for this type thing (Do you remember that horrible comedian guy who they had on the VHS versions three or four years ago?)

Last year's dvd was classier, but this one, when combined with the cd-rom, is more informative, particularly in sections like recreation. Disney certainly put some effort into it this year instead of just recycling old stuff.

I got a laugh out of the beginning of the the cd-rom when you don't choose a section and just leave Erin standing there waiting for you to do something. But maybe I'm just easily amused.

And yes, the line "Why do dinosaurs always die running?" was great.

rentNdisney

I was really dissapointed with the new DVD, and I'm 16, probably the age they were looking to appeal to. I wanted to reach out and smack Luke, and it seems he was added in to make girls my age swoon. They tried way to hard to make the teens , preteens and kids happy. My brother who is 15 hit the nail on the head when he said that these ad people try so hard to reel our age group in and go so over the top that its pathetic, and actaully turn us away. My other little brothers (6 and 4) asked why they didn't show enough of the rides and they wanted to know where the "magic music" was. Now this might sound sappy of me, but I liked the old ones where you would sit there watching it and get goosebumps (...or maybe I'm the only one?...) you know, the classic voice over guy and the instrumental music...none of this cheesy wanna be MTV stuff. To me the guides just got in the way of me and my Disney World. o well, everyone else seems pretty happy so now i wonder whats wrong with me

nicholas

Aaka said:
I got a laugh out of the beginning of the the cd-rom when you don't choose a section and just leave Erin standing there waiting for you to do something. But maybe I'm just easily amused.

I did the same thing! I just let it sit there to see how long she would try to think of things to do! Glad to know I wasn't alone! LOL

Computer Magic

rentNdisney said:
I was really dissapointed with the new DVD, and I'm 16, probably the age they were looking to appeal to. I wanted to reach out and smack Luke, and it seems he was added in to make girls my age swoon. They tried way to hard to make the teens , preteens and kids happy. My brother who is 15 hit the nail on the head when he said that these ad people try so hard to reel our age group in and go so over the top that its pathetic, and actaully turn us away. My other little brothers (6 and 4) asked why they didn't show enough of the rides and they wanted to know where the "magic music" was. Now this might sound sappy of me, but I liked the old ones where you would sit there watching it and get goosebumps (...or maybe I'm the only one?...) you know, the classic voice over guy and the instrumental music...none of this cheesy wanna be MTV stuff. To me the guides just got in the way of me and my Disney World. o well, everyone else seems pretty happy so now i wonder whats wrong with me
I'm really impressed by your comments as they are so accurate. I'm not sure what generation they were trying to reach maybe all generations? My wife and I was discussing the DVD today. We really enjoyed the previous planning videos where they went for your emotions. I felt no emotions watching this. We wanted to here "a friend in me" from the Toy Story. I really think they missed the boat on this one.

Computer Magic

nicholas said:
I did the same thing! I just let it sit there to see how long she would try to think of things to do! Glad to know I wasn't alone! LOL
I think many of us did that. The sad part is that was the most enjoyable.

dxwwf3

rentNdisney said:

Excellent post. And you aren't the only one that was severely disapointed with this planning video.

dxwwf3

Aaka said:
Last year's dvd was classier, but this one, when combined with the cd-rom, is more informative

I'd say that is fair. They really did do a good job with showing some new footage and they explained things very well, but the old versions were alot "classier" and represented the resort in a better way.

CTXRover

Ok, I've probably watched the whole DVD now, including all the special features, and took a look at the CD-Rom and have a slightly different view on all it now. I still think the previous DVD's/videos were more "sophisticated" as I said before, but I think the newer version is more informative and a bit more fun to watch.

After watching everything on the new DVD, I got to give it a big thumbs up. In my opinion, the Luke character is the only downer/annoying aspect on this new video and actually can ruin parts of the DVD. Not every person who likes thrills is a teenager. The other hosts though are wholesome, fun, and seem to actually enjoy and are excited about telling you what WDW offers, even if at times Erin seems to be trying a bit too hard. Its also a bit more "hipper" than previous videos, which of course comes at a price of being a little less nostalgic and classy....but I don't think that's a bad thing.

The planning videos aren't meant to be a trip down memory lane for frequent park goers/huge fans (even if most of us here, including myself, fall into that group and ordered), but are rather meant to get folks who are considering a trip excited and eager to plan a visit to WDW. I do honestly think the new DVD does that better than the older ones. That's why the newer video shows more of the hosts actually "explaining" things and showing them having "fun" at WDW rather than just clips of attractions that can be found on the videos you can buy at the parks. Its meant to help you plan, not meant to help you re-live your WDW trip (even if that's what I used them for in the past :) ) I also think the inclusion of the CD-Rom and other features on the DVD really help people start the planning process for a trip.

dxwwf3

CTXRover said:
The planning videos aren't meant to be a trip down memory lane for frequent park goers/huge fans (even if most of us here, including myself, fall into that group and ordered), but are rather meant to get folks who are considering a trip excited and eager to plan a visit to WDW.

While I fall into that category as well (of course), I disagree and I think the new video will turn alot of people off on WDW. The videos make it seem everything at WDW is for the 6-14 crowd and that it is not a place college age students or a little bit older adults would want to visit. I think a little bit more (Ok alot more in my own opinion) sophistication would have done wonders.

The biggest thing I can say about this video is that: If this was the first thing I had seen about a trip to Disney World, then I would not want to go. Maybe because I'm 20 and the video isn't for my age group, but this vidoe would turn me completely off of WDW.

I do accept your opinion as being very valid though. I just disagree completely :wave:

yensid63

i finally got it yesterday!
here's my thoughts:
Erin's cute(Bongo dance) :lol:
they need to calm Luke down, he's more hyper than my 3year old nephew.
Dave, Dave, Dave. the guy comes to WDW to sit on benches. :veryconfu
all in all, i think it's the best vacation planning video(dvd) to date.
did anyone take the WDW trivia challenge ? the questions are too easy.

Just got my dvd in the mail too, but havent watched it yet! But I was wondering if anyone has a link to order a disneyland preview dvd??? I tried searching on Disney.com, but couldn't seem to find it.

Mandy

WDWScottieBoy

Disneyland doesn't have a planning video as of right now. I think that's sad. They were promoting the whole 50th for DL during the WDW Christmas Parade but you can't order a video on it. Maybe once it's in full swing they'll get one out so they can use the actual celebration in it. I've been looking for one too as I never have ordered one.

Computer Magic

WDWScottieBoy said:
Disneyland doesn't have a planning video as of right now. I think that's sad. They were promoting the whole 50th for DL during the WDW Christmas Parade but you can't order a video on it. Maybe once it's in full swing they'll get one out so they can use the actual celebration in it. I've been looking for one too as I never have ordered one.
Look at the bright side, that gives DL time to learn from WDW video mistakes :lookaroun :zipit:

nibblesandbits

CTXRover said:
Ok, I've probably watched the whole DVD now, including all the special features, and took a look at the CD-Rom and have a slightly different view on all it now. I still think the previous DVD's/videos were more "sophisticated" as I said before, but I think the newer version is more informative and a bit more fun to watch.

After watching everything on the new DVD, I got to give it a big thumbs up. In my opinion, the Luke character is the only downer/annoying aspect on this new video and actually can ruin parts of the DVD. Not every person who likes thrills is a teenager. The other hosts though are wholesome, fun, and seem to actually enjoy and are excited about telling you what WDW offers, even if at times Erin seems to be trying a bit too hard. Its also a bit more "hipper" than previous videos, which of course comes at a price of being a little less nostalgic and classy....but I don't think that's a bad thing.

The planning videos aren't meant to be a trip down memory lane for frequent park goers/huge fans (even if most of us here, including myself, fall into that group and ordered), but are rather meant to get folks who are considering a trip excited and eager to plan a visit to WDW. I do honestly think the new DVD does that better than the older ones. That's why the newer video shows more of the hosts actually "explaining" things and showing them having "fun" at WDW rather than just clips of attractions that can be found on the videos you can buy at the parks. Its meant to help you plan, not meant to help you re-live your WDW trip (even if that's what I used them for in the past :) ) I also think the inclusion of the CD-Rom and other features on the DVD really help people start the planning process for a trip.

I totally agree with you. This video isn't for people like us who get these videos for the nostalgia. These videos are to help the average person who might not know a lot about Disney World plan a trip. I felt like if I were a non-Disney freak, this DVD would have done a good job of explaining a bunch of rides and other various attractions that they might not have known about. I mean most people know what Pirates or the Haunted Mansion is...but they might not know about Philharmagic or the Kidcot stations at Epcot. Also, the people that Disney is aiming at with this DVD probably don't know about all of the things that you can do outside the parks. That there is Disney Quest or Pleasure Island or even the water parks. There are many people that are oblivious and think that there are just the theme parks and that's it. That's why they included so much emphasis on the outside things. It makes people interested in those things which makes them want to stay longer, which in turn makes Disney happier because that means those people are spending more money to stay on property and to get to do all of the outside things.

dxwwf3 said:
While I fall into that category as well (of course), I disagree and I think the new video will turn alot of people off on WDW. The videos make it seem everything at WDW is for the 6-14 crowd and that it is not a place college age students or a little bit older adults would want to visit. I think a little bit more (Ok alot more in my own opinion) sophistication would have done wonders.

The biggest thing I can say about this video is that: If this was the first thing I had seen about a trip to Disney World, then I would not want to go. Maybe because I'm 20 and the video isn't for my age group, but this vidoe would turn me completely off of WDW.

I do accept your opinion as being very valid though. I just disagree completely :wave:

I have to disagree with you. (which of course is the point of these discussion boards.) I think the old videos were kind of boring. This one kept me and my boyfriend entertained until the end. And we fall under that 20 and up age bracket category and my boyfriend is not a Disney nut like I am. And yes, you are right that the video was made more appealing for the 6-14 age bracket but I think that is because parents of 6-14 year olds will say...hey, I think my little Suzy or Bobby might like to go on that...maybe we should plan a trip down to Disney...Disney is all about families after all.

I think they did enough for the older crowds too. That's what all of the relaxation was for, even though some on these boards found it annoying...Disney emphasised that you could go your own pace and still have a good time. That you didn't have to be in it for the thrills which is something that I believe that a lot of adults look for. They want a relaxing vacation. And Disney shows them that they can have one. I believe that this video did hit just about every age demographic...and sure, you might disagree with me, but then again, you can't please everyone.

Sora

Hey....look at this....

I was scanning over some of the photo's in member gallery folders, and I found this pic in scorp111's folder of Jasmine....Now, not to destroy the magic, so if you would like to read the rest of this message, scan down farther...if not, do not read any father...

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=11562&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

Does this Jasmine NOT look like the young lady Erin in the planning DVD? WOW...maybe it's just me but it's uncanny!

Sora

I agree....she does...I just found that pic by chance and started laughing because when I saw her I immediately thought of Erin...lol! Anyway, It was just one of those silly things I thought I would share to make sure I'm not kooky...then again...maybe I just have Erin on the brain for some reason...heh... :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom