Just Got Back from the World on 8-27 *UPDATES*

WaffleKing

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom:
+ The railroad was being repaired, and the train station at FrontierLand was down.
+ SIDE NOTE: Stitch's Great Escape is GARBAGE and I am extraordinarily sad even more now that Alien Encounter is gone, it was truly one of the best.

Epcot:
(I went on the unDISCOVERed Future World tour and asked a lot of questions)
+ Wonders of Life is closed, indefinitely for now. We got to "sneak" in there and check the place out. The guide told me that they are deciding whether or not to demolish the entire building or simply gut it out, but that it'd need a lot of work. The building is running at all times, A/C is on, etc. and approximately once or twice every other week, they run Body Wars to keep it running condition. They were supposed to re-open it when The Living Seas went down on the 21st, but Soarin' is holding the crowds (avg 50-90 minute wait times too) for now and they just decided to leave it closed. FYI... you technically can just go in yourself, move one of the plants and proceed, the doors are still open and the building is completely empty. (PICTURES OF THE INTERIOR AS OF AUGUST 24, 2005 ARE COMING SOON).

The guide also confirmed that Epcot was treated like the "bad stepchild" all these years and now (in the next 5 years) its going to get a lot of attention from the powers that be. They are still looking to find sponsors right now, unfortunately, its kinda tough for companies to justify laying off hundreds of people yet they still give Disney millions of dollars in aid. Wonders of Life is just going to sit for the near future.

+ SpaceShip Earth's time is almost up, the guide confirmed that plans to gut it out will more than likely happen within the next 2 years. The rollercoaster idea is still the leader, with guests alledgedly taking off at the ground level (for instance where the old AT&T exibit was, and having riders shot into the ball. But it's still very early.

+ He really didn't say anything about the Living Seas unfortunately... it had just closed down 2 days earlier.

+ He couldn't give me an answer to why Honey, I Shrunk the Audience hasn't been removed out however he did say Kodak is reluctant at this time to make any big changes after the nightmare they endured changing the Imagination ride back to Figment.

+ I got to go inside the VIP rooms at Spaceship Earth (it's empty... no sponsors there) and more importantly, the HP VIP room at Mission: SPACE. You know... they have a better giftshop there than they do for the ride. They have cool Mission: SPACE polo shirts and hats. I also purchased a small HP+Disney journal (notebook) with Mars as Mickey's head and the Earth and Moon as his ears on the cover. It's very nice, and its exclusive. Unfortunately, you can't just stroll in there unless you work for HP. I wasn't even allowed to "buy" stuff from the shop inside... but I convinced someone in the room to get it for me and they were more than delighted to help me out.

+ I noticed Test Track's car audio is pretty much shot. In most of the cars I was in, the speakers' bass was all messed up.

+ Universe of Energy is actually the next ride slated for a full rehab, believe it or not, however they've been very hesitant because it was the first ride opened in Epcot in 1982.

+ The guide also said that yes, Soarin's ride video is going to be changed, but that they didn't have a timeframe on it. Note a few things: The guy who hits the golf ball in the ride is Michael Eisner, and the reason why the LA flight scene is so blurry is because it was a test demo, but LA refused to let Disney re-film it.

Disney-Studios:
+ I noticed that they really haven't trashed the MGM logo or name as of yet.
+ It was my 22nd birthday on the 22nd, and I asked the people at guest relations if they'd set me up to go backstage on Tower of Terror, in my opinion, the greatest ride on Earth. THEY LET ME. I got to go inside the ride supervisor's room and looked at all of the cameras inside the ride. The guys were responsible for watching to make sure nothing out of the ordinary happened. Most importantly to me, was that I finally got to see exactly how the ride works, I saw a diagram of the building and ride operations, just generally where the elevators go and come from. Very cool stuff.

I can't think of anything else right now. But if you have any more questions I'd be glad to answer. This was my 17th straight year of going to Disney World, however I'm not sure when my next trip will be right now. I can't wait to go again though.

AEfx

Wow, happy birthday, and it sounds like you had a great trip! Getting inside the ToT was a reall coup - congrats!

AEfx

CAPTAIN HOOK

WaffleKing said:
Magic Kingdom:+ SpaceShip Earth's time is almost up, the guide confirmed that plans to gut it out will more than likely happen within the next 2 years. The rollercoaster idea is still the leader, with guests alledgedly taking off at the ground level (for instance where the old AT&T exibit was, and having riders shot into the ball. But it's still very early.
No !!!
I thought this rumour had been banished to the back room ages ago - leave SSE alone

Brian_B

,insert the coaster in the geosphere and it's dangerous,because it will(the coaster)mess up the sphere and make it unsafe
I'm sure they'll take that into consideration when they change it into a thrill ride. It will happen, btw...no stopping progress. Don't be like Uncle Orville! Anyway, a buddy of mine who now works at innoventions told me the concept is supposedly called SSE: 2010 or something...forgive me if this is old news.

Btw, isn't backstage @ tower cool? Did they show you the training room upstairs? Awhile ago I got to go up to the sign, it was pretty rockin'

- Brian

imagineer99

WaffleKing said:
Magic Kingdom:

+ SpaceShip Earth's time is almost up, the guide confirmed that plans to gut it out will more than likely happen within the next 2 years. The rollercoaster idea is still the leader, with guests alledgedly taking off at the ground level (for instance where the old AT&T exibit was, and having riders shot into the ball. But it's still very early.

Glad you had a good trip, but I'll believe it when I see it.

3rdShiftCM

WaffleKing said:
Magic Kingdom:
FYI... you technically can just go in yourself, move one of the plants and proceed, the doors are still open and the building is completely empty.

I'm sorry but that is dumbest idea I have ever heard! Just because you can move it, doesn't mean you should!

peter11435

Always remember that CM's, even the tour guides are not always the best sources of information. Even they are almost never told anything about future plans and projects until the public is told. As SSE, there are plans to change it. These range from updating the ride to complete overhaul. However while it was thought of at one time, the concept of a roller coaster has been abandoned. As explained earlier their are many structural and logistical reasons why a coaster can't be built within the sphere.

Also your tour guides info about UoE is incorrect. While there are plans for it to be redone in the near future, the attraction is not the first ride to open at Epcot. Many other rides opened at the same time as UoE. Also UoE was redone in the mid 90's. Thus it is really do different than any other attraction at Epcot.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Whilst CM`s normally also tell us about a 5th gate, Monorail expansion and Beastly Kingdom, this one seems to have a lot of incorrect information - too much. Whilst some of it is still open for debate, I do wonder if he may know a little bit more than normal. As peter said, UoE was just one of the original line up of Futureworld Pavilions to open on October 1st; World of Motion, The Land and most of Communicore also did, as well as Journey into Imagination`s non ride parts. Spaceship Earth was actually the first to be dedicated and opened to the public, as part of the EPCOT Center Opening celebration.

As has been discussed earlier, The Geosphere itself dosn`t support any of Spaceship Earths ride; by it`s very nature a Geosphere (and a Geodisic dome) is self supporting - it has no need for extra support. Because of this, it also can not support anything other than itself; hence the show floors inside were built upwards from the support base, this base itself resting on the 6 support pylons. When the ride was fitted out all the scenery had to be made to fit through the entry of exit tunnels; the building was sealed with no show scenes inside it. To gut the building everything would need to come out via these tunnels, and an entire new ride, props, scenery, ride system, control systems, machinery - you name it - would need to go in the same way. Not impossible, but highly inprobable.

UoE has been in line for a rehab since at least 2001; just when it seems likely along comes something else (right now, WoL.) It really seems Epcot is in a real mess; being run by a company unsure of what direction to take. Big budget attractions have been added ever since Test Track (finally) opened, but there seems to be a real lack of cohesive plan for Futureworld. Project Gemini attempted to pull things back together, but since it was mothballed in the majority of it`s scope Futureworld seems to be just lumbering forward with areas of excellence, areas of mediocrity, and some areas that are just embarrassingly poor without and overall unifying theme. Hopefully the powers that be are now acknowledging this and can at least start to bring things back together before October 2007 (Land and Seas appear to be a start). As much as I miss EPCOT Center I`m not knocking Epcot; I`m knocking the way it`s being managed and planned.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
marni1971 said:
To gut the building everything would need to come out via these tunnels, and an entire new ride, props, scenery, ride system, control systems, machinery - you name it - would need to go in the same way. Not impossible, but highly inprobable.
martin, dont forget about the hole that they are going to cut in the side of the geosphere for the exiting coaster......... they could use that to take stuff in. :rolleyes:

thanks for the trip report. glad you got to go backstage at ToT.

Pioneer Hall

Not for nothing...but most of the Epcot stuff falls in to my "Believe it when I see it" category. I had a guide last year who talked a lot about Gemini and how it was going to happen even after it was cancelled. The CM's really have no more of an idea about future projects like that than we do.

CoffeeJedi

DisneyInsider said:
The CM's really have no more of an idea about future projects like that than we do.
perhaps we need a new term BDS: Bus Driver Syndrome- the uncanny ability for WDW bus drivers and other cast members, upon hiring, to instantly know the inner workings of the Disney company's strategic planning for the future of the resort.

Pioneer Hall

CoffeeJedi said:
perhaps we need a new term BDS: Bus Driver Syndrome- the uncanny ability for WDW bus drivers and other cast members, upon hiring, to instantly know the inner workings of the Disney company's strategic planning for the future of the resort.

So true sometimes...I once had a bus driver who decided it was her job to tell us all about the new WDW Projects (like Indy Adventure and Beastlie Kingdome). She even was nice enough for her to take us on a scenic tour around the WDW property so we can see more and made our 10 minute bus ride over half an hour long.

:lookaroun :brick:

Rinxman

They can't get rid of SSE because it's nearly impossible. The track of the ride is built into the sphere and acts as a support. You rip it up, you rip the ball down inevitably.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Rinxman said:
They can't get rid of SSE because it's nearly impossible. The track of the ride is built into the sphere and acts as a support. You rip it up, you rip the ball down inevitably.
geosphere

this is a correction of your statement, by someone from page 1 who knows what they are talking about..

Marni1971 said:
As has been discussed earlier, The Geosphere itself dosn`t support any of Spaceship Earths ride; by it`s very nature a Geosphere (and a Geodisic dome) is self supporting - it has no need for extra support. Because of this, it also can not support anything other than itself; hence the show floors inside were built upwards from the support base, this base itself resting on the 6 support pylons. When the ride was fitted out all the scenery had to be made to fit through the entry of exit tunnels; the building was sealed with no show scenes inside it. To gut the building everything would need to come out via these tunnels, and an entire new ride, props, scenery, ride system, control systems, machinery - you name it - would need to go in the same way. Not impossible, but highly inprobable.

Well it sounds like you had a great trip and Birthday!!! I hope we can see your pictures soon. although the building is ugly i don't think they should take it down because it is a part of Epcot history and I'd like to see a pavilion on the life and history of the atractions he developed.(and hopefully if they do take out COP they would move it into such a pavillion in epcot).
It sounds like your tour of TOT was awsome and i wish i could do the same thing some day! and I do hope that castmember was wrong about the rollercoaster. It would be a horrible day the day that happens.

jeff_in_FL2003

peter11435 said:
Always remember that CM's, even the tour guides are not always the best sources of information. Even they are almost never told anything about future plans and projects until the public is told.

I absolutely agree with this! I am a cast member myself and I check this forum daily just to see what's going on. I look here for the "news" and not so much the "rumors" because I don't know anyone who has enough inside info to actually know what will be going on and I find myself falling too easily for any mention of rumors, taking them as fact. So, no. Cast members generally don't know any more than the public unless it directly affects them in the near future.

Jeff °o°

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom