Just an idea..

What do you think of this idea?

• I like it.

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I just wish they would leave the originals alone!!!

Votes: 16 28.6%

• Total voters

aligrip

Original Poster
With so many of the classic rides at WDW already closed (20,000 leauges, Mr. Toad, Horizons, Living Seas, World of Motion, JIYI, etc) and certainly more to come in the future (Spaceship earth is rumored) what do you all think about an attraction that would pay tribute to these classics? Obviously, everything will change at some point (probably even the Haunted Mansion --gasp--). But so many of us miss these rides, I think it would be a hit.

In my mind, I picture it being something like the Great Movie Ride, only you would be going through small scenes from attractions whose time have come to an end. There could be some narration, a clip of the original music, etc. I would love to be able to journey back in time, even if it was for just a few minutes.

I'm not sure how viable this whole thing is, or if Disney would ever consider such a thing, but I would like to hear your thoughts on it! :animwink:

I'm sure a lot of the original animitronics and props are still lying around somewhere, and aside from a ride system and some audio production, it doesn't seem like it would be overwhelmingly difficult to pull off. It would allow future generations to enjoy a snap shot of what we all loved so much. Just a thought (and a dream).

cymbaldiva

Sounds like a lovely idea....:)

I'm just afraid that the "powers that be" at Disney don't really care how much we love the past attractions.

We can hope though! :D

504ellamae

I think that the idea is a great one in theory but is it not the whole ride experience, like the queue, the pre show and the whole ride that makes a truly great attraction.

Maybe a piece of each ride would not do justice to all the "classics" as we know them to all the people who have never experienced them.

CREEKWAYNE

Originally posted by cymbaldiva
Sounds like a lovely idea....:)

I'm just afraid that the "powers that be" at Disney don't really care how much we love the past attractions.

We can hope though! :D

I agree with cymbaldiva on all of the above.:)

7 days and counting.....:sohappy:

dliddi

I like it, I but I take it a little farther, I would create a new park, with all the old rides from around WDW. Maybe the park could be called WDW classics. I think it would be fun, and it would be nostalgic for people that have ridden, and brand new for those that never got the chance. just an idea, it will never happen but it's fun to think about.

meanmice

I think there should be some tribute to the past, considering they have an entire park dedicated to the future. Having the former disney rides there would be fun, but it would be massivly expensive.

WDWFREAK53

I really like this idea (although I chose to leave the originals as they are) :lol:

The queue could consist of props of the old attractions with a preshow of Walt discussing some of the projects (behind the scenes). This idea actually has potential :)

I like the GMR type ride system and "scenes"

The narration should be from the actual narrators of the attractions...

the exit area should be concept models of things that are being "thrown around" just to give a view of the "future" of Disney

wed050499

Hey everyone,

As a historian, I love the idea of tributes to those things long since gone by, especially movies, attractions, and any other entertainment memorabilia. However, I have for some time tried to grapple with the idea of a tribute (be it a park, attraction or whatever) to the past disney attractions, shows, etc. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I believe from my studies of Disney's philosophy that the idea behind his parks was that it was not just a place where children and adults could have fun together, but that would have a different experience everytime. I don't know if the park would do as well as some have suggested on this thread due to the fact that the everyday guest to wdw wants the best and newest. while for nostalgic reasons it would be nice, I don't think it would be a good business move for Disney.

Just my thoughts,
Brian

monora d'oh

I think a tribute to the classic rides of WDW would be great. Walt Disney once said, "I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past." I found this quote on the Disney Days 2003 Calendar January 13th page.

stingrock23

I love the idea. It's a way for all of us who miss these attractions to relive them, as well as inform those who have never seen the old attractions.
I like the idea of putting old props in the queue, and having a "scene" type ride like great movie ride.

I do agree, though, that the powers that be probably would never approve of an attraction like this. But if an attraction like this were to be built, it would automatically be in my top 10.

If such an attraction was built, how many old attractions would be sampled?
here's a list of those i have thought of.

Horizons
World of Motion
Old Journey into Imagination
Mr. Toad
If you had wings
20,000 leagues
Kitchen Cabaret
Skyway
old tomorrowland

wed050499

Hey again,

I know i'm in the minority here, but I'm going to give some more reasons why I think the idea of a nostalgic park of past attractions would be a bad business decision for Disney. I think that the question of this park or attraction has a lot to do with other people's questions about a thrill park or when thrill attractions are put in. If you did place an attraction or park based solely on the past attractions of wdw, who would it really bring in? I mean, this type of thing would attract one target group just like a thrill ride or park would. Now many of you may say, well the attractions are targeted at everyone in their own context, but in reality, the attractions are focused on everyone in the context of their own park and their own areas within the park. I believe that a project of this nature just wouldn't benefit Disney or the needs of the guests.

But that's just me,
Brian

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by wed050499
Hey again,

I know i'm in the minority here, but I'm going to give some more reasons why I think the idea of a nostalgic park of past attractions would be a bad business decision for Disney. I think that the question of this park or attraction has a lot to do with other people's questions about a thrill park or when thrill attractions are put in. If you did place an attraction or park based solely on the past attractions of wdw, who would it really bring in? I mean, this type of thing would attract one target group just like a thrill ride or park would. Now many of you may say, well the attractions are targeted at everyone in their own context, but in reality, the attractions are focused on everyone in the context of their own park and their own areas within the park. I believe that a project of this nature just wouldn't benefit Disney or the needs of the guests.

But that's just me,
Brian

Agreed. Furthermore, I do not see Disney building an attraction or park dedicated to rides they quite purposely removed--they had dwindling popularity when they closed (Journey Into Imagination the exception), so Disney would have no reason to think rebuilding them would yield a popular attraction(s). I would rather see new rides, personally...also, do you realize how jumbled such a ride would be? There would be no real story, just confusion..."Oh, there's Mr. Toad burning in hell and WAIT, now we are learning about the history of cars errr uhhhmmm...planes, it is now, yeah...that's what we are learning WAIT who's that dragon?! AHHHHH! What is going on?!"

The fact that Disney sold parts to these rides on eBay tells you just how much they cared for the attractions when they were removed...

SirNim

oh, whoa is disneyauctions.com!

Well, 50% like the idea, but I bet 100% know it would never happen...:( Unfortunately...

I for one wouldn't even care so much as dedicating an attraction to the old rides but rather
a.) exhibits, in the queues or ends of rides, props and such, from the old replaced attraction and
b.) the spirit and meaning and QUALITY of the original rides should fill itself within the newer attractions, so it satisfies everyone's hunger for the old attraction that was replaced...

There should be no need for an attraction like this if Disney left the spirit and meaning and QUALITY of its original attractions and didn't rip the ride apart and lessen the standards of itself...:animwink: ;)

:)

orangefan15

In theory, I think this sounds like an awesome idea. In actuality, I think it would be a huge mistake. Taking small pieces out of classic rides and melding them into one ride very well could ruin the magic that the original rides exhibited. Without the whole ride, you run the risk of ruining the effect the ride had because you wouldn't have the entire experience. The last thing I'd want to do is in some way harm my memories of the great rides of Disney's past by taking away from their magic. Sometimes memories are better than having even a little bit of the real thing.

strobe

I can see your point there. As much as I would really like to see parts of these older attractions, just a piece of them very well could take away from the magic.

dopey

How about a Disney park that combines the old, discarded rides and attractions with the newest, high-tech thrill rides? :)

Glasgow

Not a bad idea, however I believe part of what makes Disney good is it's ability to reinvent itself and move forward. Personally I like lots of the old rides (POTC, HH, etc.) but sometimes you just have to leave the past behind. Nothing wrong with a little nostalgia but look at the excitement that Mission:Space has raised (and RnRC, TOT, etc). You can't always have the best of both worlds - it would be great if you could keep making new rides and keep all the old ones as well but that just isn't monetarily feasible, except of course if everyone was willing to pay $500 for a day at Disney .. lol :animwink:

wild01ride

I agree with the points about the feasibility and the practicality from a theme park perspective, however, something similar to Walt Disney: One Man's Dream would be nice- some sort of a museum/display/possible movie showing clips and segments of not just rides, but about the history of WDW or maybe all the Disney parks. No???:veryconfu

meeko_33785

I don't like the idea very much. It would be nice to see the attractions again, but I can't see a ride based on closed attractions to be very popular. If they were unpopular enough to be closed, they probably arn't popular enough to have a tribute to them. It just seems like a waste of space and would be hard to fit into theming anywhere in WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom