Just a thought on Epcot's 25th...

nibblesandbits

speck76 said:
The question now is "Do they need the capacity of another attraction?"

Speck (or anybody for that matter)...what are your views on the idea that with another attraction, more crowds will be drawn to Epcot, therefore increasing the need for more capacity space of Epcot??? (I hope that made sense... :veryconfu )

I didn't know whether Soarin, M:S, or TT did anything to increase traffic at Epcot...which is why I pose this question.

speck76

nibblesandbits said:
Speck (or anybody for that matter)...what are your views on the idea that with another attraction, more crowds will be drawn to Epcot, therefore increasing the need for more capacity space of Epcot??? (I hope that made sense... :veryconfu )

I didn't know whether Soarin, M:S, or TT did anything to increase traffic at Epcot...which is why I pose this question.
TT did not......although its opening was underwhelming, as it opened 2 years late.

Attendance was up since MS opened, and it should show up again this year (it is up YTD) but I would think some of the attendance increase can be attributed to the rising economy.

The "If you build it, they will come" theory is a difficult one to predict. It usually does not happen in the short term....that is.....if the new attraction has a capacity of 1600pph, which would be 19,200ppd, it is VERY unlikely that in the short term attendance would increase by that number. (7million people per year). While the new attraction would most likely run close to capacity on a regular basis, the older attractions would lose visitors.

Since the vast majority of attractions are running nowhere near capacity (perhaps Soarin' and TT are the closest) adding new capacity would not really benifit the park.....it would cost more to operate the older attractions on the per-rider basis.

At a park like DAK, where most attractions run closer to capacity on a regular basis, new capacity makes more sense.....at Epcot.....not yet.

DznyRktekt

speck76 said:
1983-86 - Phase 1 improvements (AKA Capacity Improvements)
-Morrocco
-JII
-TLS
-Captain EO replaces Magic Journeys

Nice work Speck76 on the chronology. One more to add to the 1983-86 section. Horizons opened on 10/1/83. :wave:

speck76

DznyRktekt said:
speck76 said:
1983-86 - Phase 1 improvements (AKA Capacity Improvements)
-Morrocco
-JII
-TLS
-Captain EO replaces Magic Journeys

Nice work Speck76 on the chronology. One more to add to the 1983-86 section. Horizons opened on 10/1/83. :wave:

I felt like I had missed something, but could not put my finger on it

CoffeeJedi

marni1971 said:
Not being disrespectful (I hope I never seem to be) but EPCOT Center became Epcot in `94 with Epcot`94. Same year Innoventions and Irons SSE opened.
did they only do the silly Epcot '9X thing for 94, or was there 95 and 96 too? and if not, were they planning on it?

nibblesandbits

speck76 said:
TT did not......although its opening was underwhelming, as it opened 2 years late.

Attendance was up since MS opened, and it should show up again this year (it is up YTD) but I would think some of the attendance increase can be attributed to the rising economy.

The "If you build it, they will come" theory is a difficult one to predict. It usually does not happen in the short term....that is.....if the new attraction has a capacity of 1600pph, which would be 19,200ppd, it is VERY unlikely that in the short term attendance would increase by that number. (7million people per year). While the new attraction would most likely run close to capacity on a regular basis, the older attractions would lose visitors.

Since the vast majority of attractions are running nowhere near capacity (perhaps Soarin' and TT are the closest) adding new capacity would not really benifit the park.....it would cost more to operate the older attractions on the per-rider basis.

At a park like DAK, where most attractions run closer to capacity on a regular basis, new capacity makes more sense.....at Epcot.....not yet.

Thanks for the explanation Speck...I was just curious.

JLW11Hi

But the thing is, I would think that the main reason people do ride any of the "older" attractions in the first place is because "we payed the admission for the day, we might as well see everything", and they don't have much else big to see after things like Mission: Space and Test Track. A lot of people do not know what to expect when they go on attractions like Energy, Living Seas, or anything in World Showcase. For all they know, these "first time" visitors, or visitors who haven't been there in a while and don't remember much, could expect anything from a stage show, to a kiddie carnival, to a big, superspeed rollercoaster when they go in to pavillions like these. Unfortunately, I am sure many are dissapointed after going on some of these older attractions, not realizing they were going to be lectured on things like growing fruit or how dinosaurs provided us with fossil fuels. I hear it just about everytime I go on these attractions.

So if a new ride did take away guests from these other, older attractions, wouldn't it benefit Disney, as the new ride could be a successful replacement to the rather tired attractions that have been there for many years? Yes, they might then end up completely shutting down the attraction/attractions that the new ride has taken its visitors from, but at least you could be sure that guests are coming out of the new attraction happy and satisfied, as opposed to bitter and bored.

And I'm not saying that the big, new attraction has to be a rollercoaster or anything. I firmly believe that, with the technologies Imagineering toys with these days, they could make a fun, state of the art, educational, family-friendly ride that could also be very popular and successful at Epcot.

speck76

JLW11Hi said:
But the thing is, I would think that the main reason people do ride any of the "older" attractions in the first place is because "we payed the admission for the day, we might as well see everything", and they don't have much else big to see after things like Mission: Space and Test Track. A lot of people do not know what to expect when they go on attractions like Energy, Living Seas, or anything in World Showcase. For all they know, these "first time" visitors, or visitors who haven't been there in a while and don't remember much, could expect anything from a stage show, to a kiddie carnival, to a big, superspeed rollercoaster when they go in to pavillions like these. Unfortunately, I am sure many are dissapointed after going on some of these older attractions, not realizing they were going to be lectured on things like growing fruit or how dinosaurs provided us with fossil fuels. I hear it just about everytime I go on these attractions.

So if a new ride did take away guests from these other, older attractions, wouldn't it benefit Disney, as the new ride could be a successful replacement to the rather tired attractions that have been there for many years? Yes, they might then end up completely shutting down the attraction/attractions that the new ride has taken its visitors from, but at least you could be sure that guests are coming out of the new attraction happy and satisfied, as opposed to bitter and bored.

And I'm not saying that the big, new attraction has to be a rollercoaster or anything. I firmly believe that, with the technologies Imagineering toys with these days, they could make a fun, state of the art, educational, family-friendly ride that could also be very popular and successful at Epcot.

...which is why replacement, instead of addition, has been the Disney way for a while now.

At this point, FW has been -1 pavillion since 1995 when Horizons went seasonal for the first time. Any replacement of WoL would be considered an addition, unless another pavillion were to close when the new attraction opened.

diddy_mouse

its wierd...part of me wants WoL to remain but be spruced up a little, but another part of me wants something new in its place. i dunno, maybe I'm just so irked that a perfectly good space is going to waste.

and I'm sure this question has been posed before but, if WoL goes the way of Horizons, what type of pavillion would you like to see there? :veryconfu

JLW11Hi

I can defenetly see Disney competely redoing, or at least shutting down Wonders of Life. Epcot already has 2 other newer simulators (M:S, Soarin), probably making Body Wars much less needed. Cranium Command is cute, but obviously getting dated. (I love Hanz and Franz in the show, but I am thinking most kids nowadays wouldn't get the reference. Oh well...)

I don't think they need to replace it with anything just yet. As has been said before, that area of Future World is already pretty popular with Mission Space and Test Track. But I can see the benefits in leaving the space open for future additions.

brettman35

diddy_mouse said:
and I'm sure this question has been posed before but, if WoL goes the way of Horizons, what type of pavillion would you like to see there? :veryconfu

The question is, will this new pavillion, whatever it is, keep the same theme? Will it be a new "Life" pavillion built from the ground up or will it be an all new, completely re-themed pavillion?

SirGoofy

While I'll agree there will be some celebration for Epcot's 25th, I don't think it will be a huge deal. I think two-four things will happen.
1)WoL will be replaced or overhauled. I think this is the most likely
2)A parade will be added. Another thing I feel is very likely.
3)JII will have yet another rehab. I personaly feal this has a very good chance of happening. The ride has been open for three years now, and is a complete flop. By next year I think Disney will have to do something to the pavillion to put life back into it. Will that entail bringing back one unamed bearded man? I don't know. But something has to be done to help Imagination's sagging attendance.
4)Something will be added to WS. In my opinion this has the least chance of happening.

speck76

SirGoofy said:
While I'll agree there will be some celebration for Epcot's 25th, I don't think it will be a huge deal. I think two-four things will happen.
1)WoL will be replaced or overhauled. I think this is the most likely
2)A parade will be added. Another thing I feel is very likely.
3)JII will have yet another rehab. I personaly feal this has a very good chance of happening. The ride has been open for three years now, and is a complete flop. By next year I think Disney will have to do something to the pavillion to put life back into it. Will that entail bringing back one unamed bearded man? I don't know. But something has to be done to help Imagination's sagging attendance.
4)Something will be added to WS. In my opinion this has the least chance of happening.

I think option 2 has the biggest chance of happening.....I do not think the other options are likely at all.

Desperad07

Not sure I understand how some people can't fathom Disney celebrating Epcot's 25th. I feel like everytime i've been there, it's some anniversary. And at this point, what's the next most signifcant anniversary? MK's 50th? That's so far off. They won't do another Disneyland celebration for 25 years.

This is Disney, people. They need anniversaries to celebrate! They had a celebration for the 100th birthday of Walt. They're going to depend on AK, MGM and Epcot now!

speck76

KumbaRider said:
I agree, these advertisement promotions are successful attendance campaigns.

but the anniversary campaigns have never been for 1 park (even when MK was 10 years old...and the only park at WDW)......it has ALWAYS been advertised as the XXth anniversary of "Walt Disney World"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom