Jurassic Park Rollercoaster Coming To Universals Islands Of Adventure?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
If the people are only there for the thrill rides what are they doing at CityWalk?

1597410000637.png

lebeau

Universal's guest demographics skew slightly lower class* (and/or more teens and young adults) than Disney's and a lot of these people literally go to the resort looking for "the big rides", AKA the roller coasters only, and consider everything else to be stupid and don't even bother giving it a shot. These people are often trashy. During the period post-Dragons and Pre-Hagrid, Universal was getting tons of complaints and negative surveys over the lack of big thrill rides when they have a reputation as a thrill park. Ask Universal employees about this. That's probably why they're willing to disrupt the atmosphere at Potter for this ride.

* Don't believe me? Compare the people at CityWalk on a Saturday night vs. Disney Springs. (Take a guess which one Florida Man prefers.)

I don't believe you. Stay at Portofino and then stay at any of Disney's deluxe hotels.

InnKpr

Ah, the human race.

We're always looking for any reason, no matter how ridiculous, to create a "Us vs. Them" barrier, and prove why our side is better.

(I better confess this here before the blue lights show up in my driveway, but I too enjoy a large coaster and thrill rides in addition to Disney's family themed attractions.)
#LowClassGangsterLife

thelookingglass

I've noticed this is a common perception amongst Disney fans. It's also completely false. I can usually find more trashy-looking people in a single visit to a Disney park than I can in numerous visits to the Universal parks (excluding HHN.) I'm sure this is partially attributable to Disney's higher overall attendance, but it's true nonetheless.

Disney is a vacation haven for upper-middle class families. It's also a vacation haven for unwashed rednecks who roll around in electric wheelchairs all day, steering with one hand and a turkey leg in the other, not because they're disabled, but because it's just too inconvenient for them to carry around their 400-500 pounds of weight with their own legs. I'm surprised the Magic Kingdom has never surpassed "maximum load" and collapsed into the utilidors. Are they there for the large collection of thrill rides? Probably not. But when Tron opens, it will have more roller coasters than any Universal park, so there's that I guess.
I won't deny that obese rednecks in ECVs is a common sight at Disney, but you do notice them more because they stand out more. I'm sure some of you have been to Old Town, right? On a Saturday night the place is filled with the lowest class trash. A Saturday at UOR is only marginally better than that. It doesn't help that a lot of Floridians themselves are trashy, and UOR is the AP of choice for locals due to being cheaper and "more for adults".
If the people are only there for the thrill rides what are they doing at CityWalk?
They have to walk through CityWalk to get to/from the thrill rides.
Ah, the human race.

We're always looking for any reason, no matter how ridiculous, to create a "Us vs. Them" barrier, and prove why our side is better.

(I better confess this here before the blue lights show up in my driveway, but I too enjoy a large coaster and thrill rides in addition to Disney's family themed attractions.)
#LowClassGangsterLife
That wasn't what I was implying. Per people who take the complaints at the parks, its a common thing where obviously trashier guests only care about the obvious visible coasters and dismiss everything else as a waste of time or "for kids".
Hmmmm??? Disney's crowd is much fatter then Universal's so I would say Disney has the lower class people. Weight usual goes hand and hand class.

If I was a local I doubt I would go to CityWalk or Springs......Why would you, it's a bunch of tourists.
CityWalk and Springs are a hotspot for locals because they're a nice place to walk around, eat, and drink in the evening.

Tom Morrow

IDK, if you saw Jurassic World, and paid much attention to what Claire was saying at the beginning, this addition seems about 1000% consistent with what the creative team at Jurassic Parks and Resorts would come up with.
This is true, but I doubt that this was the thought process in greenlighting it, and more along the lines of: "coasters are a guaranteed big draw and we are getting complaints due to our lack of big coasters and our perception as a thrill park. Let's build another coaster. I think we can fit one.... here."

I hope they actually do theme it from this angle though, as in Jurassic World taking the SeaWorld thematic approach, and not a "something goes wrong" thing.

Tom Morrow

That wasn't what I was implying. Per people who take the complaints at the parks, its a common thing where obviously trashier guests only care about the obvious visible coasters and dismiss everything else as a waste of time or "for kids".

Per friends who have worked guest relations/guest services at both, a bizarrely common complaint at Disney is "where are all the rides at?" As in, they don't physically see any rides and are so uninformed that they don't understand that the rides are inside buildings or out of sight.

At Universal, "Where are all the big rides (AKA roller coasters)?" is fairly common.

JT3000

God, I hate theme park enthusiasts sometimes. It's a theme park. There's a roller coaster. Not everything needs to be themed to death, especially with the amount of space that Universal had to work with here. It was this or nothing at all for that plot of land, and something is always better than nothing.

Not necessarily. There are a number of smaller attractions they could've put there, especially if they incorporated the Discovery Center in some fashion (which should still get a major renovation imo.) Of course, small attractions don't drive attendance.

Lintemuthstudios

Not necessarily. There are a number of smaller attractions they could've put there, especially if they incorporated the Discovery Center in some fashion (which should still get a major renovation imo.) Of course, small attractions don't drive attendance.

And that's why every addition is made.

Disneyhead'71

Many here don't really seem to grasp the scale, depth, or concept of what they are doing here.

This is not in any way shape or form an unthemed coaster. I'll go on the record as saying that I think that when this thing opens it will be hailed as one of the best themed coasters ever.

Did they do a really bad job of hiding it? 🤣 Yes! They put a ~170' tall top hat on the edge of the lagoon. You can see it from the Starbucks in CityWalk.

20200815-095304.jpg

But you can't see it from inside Hogsmeade.

DisTwit: "But you can see the helix from the back patio of the 3 Broomsticks!"
Me: "True, but at least it doesn't block the awesome view of The Hulk/MSHI. As a matter of fact it actually frames MSHI quite nicely."

80qp4o4vs2851.jpg

This is a MASSIVE attraction. Much bigger than The Hulk. The coaster alone will be a top 5 coaster. Then throw in the massive amount of theming and this is going to be awesome. And there will be TONS of theming. AAs, rock work, water features, MASSIVE themed buildings, themed paddock enclosure, and multiple show scenes.

JoeCamel

Many here don't really seem to grasp the scale, depth, or concept of what they are doing here.

This is not in any way shape or form an unthemed coaster. I'll go on the record as saying that I think that when this thing opens it will be hailed as one of the best themed coasters ever.

Did they do a really bad job of hiding it? 🤣 Yes! They put a ~170' tall top hat on the edge of the lagoon. You can see it from the Starbucks in CityWalk.

20200815-095304.jpg

But you can't see it from inside Hogsmeade.

DisTwit: "But you can see the helix from the back patio of the 3 Broomsticks!"
Me: "True, but at least it doesn't block the awesome view of The Hulk/MSHI. As a matter of fact it actually frames MSHI quite nicely."

80qp4o4vs2851.jpg

This is a MASSIVE attraction. Much bigger than The Hulk. The coaster alone will be a top 5 coaster. Then throw in the massive amount of theming and this is going to be awesome. And there will be TONS of theming. AAs, rock work, water features, MASSIVE themed buildings, themed paddock enclosure, and multiple show scenes.

May come in #2 on this list. That would give IoA top three or four of the best themed coasters. I don't get the arguement.

tirian

The best themed coaster in Orlando, from a turning standpoint only, is Big Thunder Mountain. There is basically nowhere you can look on the ride that isn’t themed.
Big Thunder and Splash Mt. are arguably the only fully themed thrill attractions in Orlando.

I prefer Disney, but I also enjoy what Universal offers. Why not enjoy all the good things in life, regardless of where they come from? I don’t expect Universal to be WDW. I don’t want it to be. Likewise, I don’t want Epcot to be a second MK; I don’t want same-ness to infiltrate the parks. Variety is the spice of life.

Only fan forums promote an immature “us versus them” mentality. In real life, most theme park creatives jump from company to company, especially as former leaders (e.g. Disney) lower their standards.

thelookingglass

I find it a little peculiar that every vlogger, every popular Instagrammer, and countless posters are hyping this thing up as massive, a beast of a roller coaster, etc.

The truth: It's not bigger than Hulk, Rockit, Manta, Mako, or Kraken.

... or Montu, Kumba, or Cheetah Hunt.

It's an average-sized large scale coaster.

Lintemuthstudios

I find it a little peculiar that every vlogger, every popular Instagrammer, and countless posters are hyping this thing up as massive, a beast of a roller coaster, etc.

They don't mean it literally lol. They're talking about the experience. Also, it's taller than all of those but Mako IIRC.

JT3000

Bro what? what experience?? the ride is not even open yet. They have no idea what the experience will be. What you talking about? You trippin'

The hype for this coaster has nothing to do with its size (although a max height of 140 feet isn't small for Universal's audience.) The ride utilizes Intamin's larger, double-spined track for many sections. They use this on coasters that exert an unusually high amount of forces on the track, which translates to an unusually intense experience for riders. I've also seen a number of coaster enthusiasts who find the layout itself intriguing.

The designers (Intamin) definitely "have an idea what the experience will be."

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom