Jurassic Park Rollercoaster Coming To Universals Islands Of Adventure?

No Name

So Disney's solution of putting a steel coaster in a giant, highly visible box is that much better?

I’m no supporter of Tron or Guardians’ egregious boxes. But the difference is that the rides themselves will also thrill through storytelling rather than purely through the ride mechanism. That’s a big part of what separates amusement parks and theme parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’ll be a fun coaster as long as it’s not too whiplashy. Launches are all the rage in Central Florida!
Launches make complete sense in Florida...

They allow for compact layouts, shorten ride times, and are more conducive to being placed indoors to control the temperature/weather.

Disney could use another launch or two...or three😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m no supporter of Tron or Guardians’ egregious boxes. But the difference is that the rides themselves will also thrill through storytelling rather than purely through the ride mechanism. That’s a big part of what separates amusement parks and theme parks.
Why don’t you wait till it’s clear to operate before you declare victory on it?

Lirael

I think the main difference between this and Tron is the objective. It's one thing for Universal to be like "yeah, controlling sight-lines and immersion isn't a goal, we're just making this as thrilling as possible with the available space and theme" whereas Disney is "oh we totally care about immersion and uh *checks cheat sheet* sight-lines! We think we're solving all that by hiding our coaster in an ugly, basic, boxed space we gave no thought to." Disney fails more because they set out to do something and failed at it, Universal, apart from specific lands, has always been more lax with immersion and sight-lines.

I feel that so long as it doesn't turn out this coaster ruins an experience of already established immersion at Universal (aka inside HP part) it'll be a success, and we can't be sure it will ruin anything inside HP for now, as there's no basis to assume that from the pictures so far. Whereas we can already see how the ugly box is ruining the scene over at MK, and what we need is proof that it won't.

Jon81uk

It even happens within the same project. Controlling the sight lines in Diagonal Alley was a major endeavor but then the marquee attraction send people downstairs out back. There is a photo in the Universal Studios Hollywood thread showing Super Nintendo World behind the WaterWorld sets, but Super Nintendo World is a giant bowl to control sightlines.

Gringotts is entirely indoors? There are no sightline issues?

I do love that view of the mushroom kingdom over waterworld at Universal Japan though, the framing is just wonderful.

monykalyn

DE80BBA1-B56C-48BF-8BAC-64211B00D465.jpeg
Today from Jurassic area

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One of them we already know everything about, and the other is evidently more than a track. They don’t need to have opened yet.
They absolutely do...Disney should never be credited until it opens...which is a common fan psychosis.

I’ll give half credit for the clone though...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Everest is a stellar ride and I don’t see your point.
It’s an engineering failure because it is missing 1/3rd of the “story”...making it an amusement park ride of medium caliber.

My point is that before anything is labeled “just a steel bland coaster”...or a “theme park marvel”...they should actually be ridden

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom