Jurassic Park Rollercoaster Coming To Universals Islands Of Adventure?

Disneyhead'71

This coaster is, in fact, big steel. An unapologetic statement that Universal is Universal. This thing is going to be a top 10 coaster when it opens. Just the turn around helix alone is epic.

Here is a shot from today. They are installing the right tower for the top hat.

20200615-145048.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am the exact opposite Disney needs to build more thrilling rides.

I understand the desire.

But Disney has made it clear that they won't (unless it's a one time exception). The mantra is "family-friendly". Separating adults and children is not what Disney wants their guests to experience. Don't count on anything ever being more 'thrilling' than RnRC, ToT, EE, or M:S:Orange. Disney is happy to cede the high-thrill niche to Universal, Sea World, and the (non-themed) amusement parks.

Jon81uk

I understand the desire.

But Disney has made it clear that they won't (unless it's a one time exception). The mantra is "family-friendly". Separating adults and children is not what Disney wants their guests to experience. Don't count on anything ever being more 'thrilling' than RnRC, ToT, EE, or M:S:Orange. Disney is happy to cede the high-thrill niche to Universal, Sea World, and the (non-themed) amusement parks.

Although Disney has on occasion gone the other way and installed attractions that sort of separate children and adults rather than being family friendly. Dumbo is a lovely ride that is mildly enjoyable for all but the play area queue for it is for children only, I can't get any enjoyment from it. There aren't as many examples of this sort of thing anymore as Bugs Land has been removed at California Adventure of course. I do think much of the best rides at Disney are where they are broadly suitable for all such as Pirates etc (but even Tower of Terror has such a low height restriction brave kids can ride).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure, it’s just stupid.
...be careful with those incendiary words.

Lots of stupidity around this neighborhood since the “fake” pandemic started 😉

On another note...Tim Trakker was at IOA a few days ago and does a lot of filming of the construction of the new coaster...looks like a solid addition. Check it out.

Kudos to Comcast for using the 3 months intelligently too...

Sir_Cliff

This coaster is, in fact, big steel. An unapologetic statement that Universal is Universal.
I think this is kind of what puzzles people, though.

It sometimes seems like Universal is pushing themed entertainment beyond what Disney is doing to seriously challenge Disney's status in the theme park world. Then they throw up things like this and the Rip Ride Rockit that are just bare rollercoaster tracks that make it seem like they want to be more like a high-end amusement park who don't worry so much about theming.

Different people will likely enjoy one more than the other or just enjoy both. Still, I am also in the camp who wonders whether the big money is in luring people down to Orlando to ride no doubt thrilling roller coasters versus Disney's pitch of immersive themed environments.

lazyboy97o

It sometimes seems like Universal is pushing themed entertainment beyond what Disney is doing to seriously challenge Disney's status in the theme park world. Then they throw up things like this and the Rip Ride Rockit that are just bare rollercoaster tracks that make it seem like they want to be more like a high-end amusement park who don't worry so much about theming.
It even happens within the same project. Controlling the sight lines in Diagonal Alley was a major endeavor but then the marquee attraction send people downstairs out back. There is a photo in the Universal Studios Hollywood thread showing Super Nintendo World behind the WaterWorld sets, but Super Nintendo World is a giant bowl to control sightlines.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this is kind of what puzzles people, though.

Different people will likely enjoy one more than the other or just enjoy both. Still, I am also in the camp who wonders whether the big money is in luring people down to Orlando to ride no doubt thrilling roller coasters versus Disney's pitch of immersive themed environments.
Universal is in a completely different place than Disney as far as direction and agenda.

But at the end of the day...a net add is a net add.

I’m not gonna scoff as a defense of a 75 minute engineered wait for Peter Pan.

Besides...tron is gonna be a big steel thing with some lighting and AC...and everyone will lap it up...is my guess.

ToTBellHop

On another note...Tim Trakker was at IOA a few days ago and does a lot of filming of the construction of the new coaster...looks like a solid addition. Check it out.

Likening Space Mountain’s aesthetics to that of Guardians is laughably stupid.

TestTrack Dummy

Midway Mayhem has been posting great coverage of the coaster daily. Highly recommend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom