Jungle Cruise Update

mickEblu

LOL without backstories, the attractions would make no sense!

Guests go from a theme park in 2021 to a 1930s river tour jungle outpost (oops, that's backstory) boat dock in a fake river with fake animals...? That's the Jungle Cruise without a backstory. The "Skipper" is your tour guide (backstory) ride operator tells random jokes while the fake boat rides a rail through the man-made canal... fun!

And regardless of whether or not you know the backstory, backstories were created for the development of these attractions. That's how they maintained consistent theming and storytelling throughout the ride.

I think you are confusing back stories and theme. Also, I’m confused about how the back story somehow helps you suspend disbelief that you are not on a boat on rails in Anaheim? So no Alberta Falls backstory = boat on rails in Anaheim and Alberta Falls back story = Amazon River?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

LOL without backstories, the attractions would make no sense!

Guests go from a theme park in 2021 to a 1930s river tour jungle outpost (oops, that's backstory) boat dock in a fake river with fake animals...? That's the Jungle Cruise without a backstory. The "Skipper" is your tour guide (backstory) ride operator tells random jokes while the fake boat rides a rail through the man-made canal... fun!

And regardless of whether or not you know the backstory, backstories were created for the development of these attractions. That's how they maintained consistent theming and storytelling throughout the ride.
Rides don’t need backstories. There are themes to which they follow, but backstories are not the same and unnecessary.

Mac Tonight

@mickEblu

uh oh...

disney-funko-jungle-cruise-pop-ride-1261175.jpeg

mickEblu

They just keep on coming lol. Do I need this one? I have the other one with generic skipper. This one does look cooler though. I honestly haven’t decided if I’m going to keep collecting these. Having to pay $300 + for that Treasure Skeleton POP is rubbing me the wrong way and I’m not going to do it. Might just downsize my collection and just keep the actual RIDE POPs. Which means I would still have to get this one. Lol.

Mac Tonight

They just keep on coming lol. Do I need this one? I have the other one with generic skipper. This one does look cooler though. I honestly haven’t decided if I’m going to keep collecting these. Having to pay $300 + for that Treasure Skeleton POP is rubbing me the wrong way and I’m not going to do it. Might just downsize my collection and just keep the actual RIDE POPs. Which means I would still have to get this one. Lol.
I'll probably pass since I have the other one too. It's not surprising to see them just swap in Mickey for another character on a ride vehicle and sell it again. They've already done it with the Matterhorn bobsled. Easy profit.

PiratesMansion

Interesting. I remember seeing a ride through of Kong and thinking it’s a little bit of a let down as a stand-alone attraction. Unlike here where it’s part of a 1 hour long tram ride. They do have the 1 AA though
It is a let down (though the queue is really cool and sometimes they have random scareactors in there, just for ambiance!)

It's basically the same thing you know and love(?) from the USH tram tour, but with an outdoor portion through some trees before you enter the building and watch the screenz, and one AA that you see for like ten seconds tops after the screenz.

mickEblu

I'll probably pass since I have the other one too. It's not surprising to see them just swap in Mickey for another character on a ride vehicle and sell it again. They've already done it with the Matterhorn bobsled. Easy profit.

Also forgot to mention. So far I think I have all the Mickey Ride POPs. So I might have to keep that going.

TP2000

This is just a bad joke. And not a good-bad joke from the Jungle Cruise, but just bad-bad. :(

Alberta Falls and her backstory appears to be created by Imagineers who have absolutely no idea how the Jungle Cruise works. And more importantly, no idea how the audience experiences the attraction as they wait in line, load into boats, and then pivot and strain to get 4 or 5 second glimpses at the animals and funny little vignettes along the river. While a CM delivers one-liner jokes and bad puns that can be understood over the roar of diesel engine by anyone older than 8.

This new Alberta Falls backstory, even if they try and hit us over the head with it via some new queue pre-show or blatant animatronic dialogue by a riverbank Skipper, will be ignored and/or missed by 99.5% of the audience. It doesn't matter what race or ethnicity Alberta Falls is, or isn't, she won't enter the audiences mind in the least.

And then there's the poor CM's who will be forced to tell a couple of new jokes that aren't that funny but mandatorily mention Alberta Falls. No joke created by a committee from HR will ever be funny. Ever.

This is yet another example of WDI losing complete sight of how the park works, and how its audience experiences it.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This is just a bad joke. And not a good-bad joke from the Jungle Cruise, but just bad-bad. :(

Alberta Falls and her backstory appears to be created by Imagineers who have absolutely no idea how the Jungle Cruise works. And more importantly, no idea how the audience experiences the attraction as they wait in line, load into boats, and then pivot and strain to get 4 or 5 second glimpses at the animals and funny little vignettes along the river.

This new Alberta Falls backstory, even if they try and hit us over the head with it via some new queue pre-show or blatant animatronic dialogue by a riverbank Skipper, will be ignored and/or missed by 99.5% of the audience. It doesn't matter what race or ethnicity Alberta Falls is, or isn't, she won't enter the audiences mind in the least.

And then there's the poor CM's who will be forced to tell a couple of new jokes that aren't that funny but mandatorily mention Alberta Falls. No joke created by a committee from HR will ever be funny. Ever.

This is yet another example of WDI losing complete sight of how the park works, and how its audience experiences it.
Damn well said!

Brer Panther

Has Disney come out and stated that they'll be removing the headhunters, or is that just one of those "well, if they're renovating the ride and they're on a PC kick, of course they're gonna take 'em out" kind of things?

"Schweitzer Falls, named after Dr. Schweitzer, who did wonderful humanitarian work in Africa."
I thought his name was Dr. Falls.

_caleb

I think you are confusing back stories and theme. Also, I’m confused about how the back story somehow helps you suspend disbelief that you are not on a boat on rails in Anaheim? So no Alberta Falls backstory = boat on rails in Anaheim and Alberta Falls back story = Amazon River?
No, I'm not. The backstory is the narrative––the made-up "history" within the attraction. The theme is the creative direction/design. They go hand-in-hand, but they're not the same, which was my point.

The theme of the Jungle Cruise is "1930s stuff along a river in a jungle." The backstory is all the stuff that "happened" to get us to the point we are when we enter the attraction's queue. Are we, the guest, transported back in time to the 30s, or is everything just really old? Are we still in Anaheim, or are we in the Amazon? The backstory set us up for the story, which is set in the themed environment.

Imagineers create backstories for every attraction and themed area. They don't always tell/explain these backstories to the public, but they use the backstory to help them tell a coherent and consistent story.

_caleb

Has Disney come out and stated that they'll be removing the headhunters, or is that just one of those "well, if they're renovating the ride and they're on a PC kick, of course they're gonna take 'em out" kind of things?

I thought his name was Dr. Falls.
I quoted the OG Skipper from the video interview I posted.

PiratesMansion

No, I'm not. The backstory is the narrative––the made-up "history" within the attraction. The theme is the creative direction/design. They go hand-in-hand, but they're not the same, which was my point.

The theme of the Jungle Cruise is "1930s stuff along a river in a jungle." The backstory is all the stuff that "happened" to get us to the point we are when we enter the attraction's queue. Are we, the guest, transported back in time to the 30s, or is everything just really old? Are we still in Anaheim, or are we in the Amazon? The backstory set us up for the story, which is set in the themed environment.

Imagineers create backstories for every attraction and themed area. They don't always tell/explain these backstories to the public, but they use the backstory to help them tell a coherent and consistent story.
But the need for backstories is something of a newer invention from the Eisner era. I don't believe there has ever been a true backstory that actually originated from the WED days, though the modern WDC certainly has a habit of grafting backstories on older attractions.

Which is not to say that there wasn't thought put into the attractions or how things would logically progress, but they were very much prioritizing different things.

Even the 1930s touch came about not because it was original (I really don't think the original team or even many that led subsequent revisions had any idea other than Boat ride! See animals! Whimsy!) but because Indy was added next door.

And the 1930s date doesn't really add anything to the attraction. Maybe the queue. The actual attraction? I'd argue it's meaningless.

If we MUST have backstories, it would be nice to at least get something new to the table. Right now it seems to mostly be either a) Oh NO! Something's going (or is going to go) wrong! or b) well, Lord Hubert Fancyperson loved collecting exotic ________ and decided to decorate his (choose one: shop, restaurant, key object upon which the ride is centered) in this style because he wanted to show and impress the locals and educate them or something, and would you be interested in hearing the intricate story about what this tapestry represents that doesn't actually matter to the (thing) at all?

Average people don't care and don't notice, because it doesn't add anything of substance. It mostly give Imagineers and super supernerds an opportunity to feel superior in their cleverness that they get all the references.

And REDONGLE CRUISE 5.0(?) seems like more of the same. Bloated and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

The theme of the Jungle Cruise is "1930s stuff along a river in a jungle." The backstory is all the stuff that "happened" to get us to the point we are when we enter the attraction's queue. Are we, the guest, transported back in time to the 30s, or is everything just really old? Are we still in Anaheim, or are we in the Amazon?
This is going to sound harsh, so apologies in advance.

Who cares?

I’ve never questioned why I’m in an old boat in a jungle. I just am. I’m sure most people don’t question it either. Does anyone question why they’re in a Mickey Mouse cartoon? Or why they’re in Snow White world? Most just go along with it.

You can add a deep backstory to explain the “why”, but unless it was visually incorporated into the attraction from the start, it’s a bit of a wasted effort.

_caleb

But the need for backstories is something of a newer invention from the Eisner era. I don't believe there has ever been a true backstory that actually originated from the WED days. Certainly the modern WDC has a habit of grafting backstories on older attractions.

Which is not to say that there wasn't thought put into the attractions or how things would logically progress, but they were very much prioritizing different things.

Even the 1930s touch came about not because it was original (I really don't think the original team or even many that led subsequent revisions had any idea other than Boat ride! See animals! Whimsy!) but because Indy was added next door.

And the 1930s date doesn't really add anything to the attraction. Maybe the queue. The actual attraction? I'd argue it's meaningless.

If we MUST have backstories, it would be nice to at least get something new to the table. Right now it seems to mostly be either a) Oh NO! Something's going (or is going to go) wrong! or b) well, Lord Hubert Fancyperson loved collecting exotic ________ and decided to decorate his (choose one: shop, restaurant, key object upon which the ride is centered) in this style because he wanted to show and impress the locals and educate them or something, and would you be interested in hearing the intricate story about what this tapestry represents that doesn't actually matter to the (thing) at all?

And REDONGLE CRUISE 5.0(?) seems like more of the same. Bloated and unnecessary.
I agree that detailed backstories shared with the public are a newer phenomenon in Disney attractions. But don’t you think the Haunted Mansion has always had a backstory? It doesn’t really have a “story” at all, does it? In a recent post, didn’t @TP2000 say something about how the Jungle Cruise doesn’t have a story? What about Big Thunder? They don’t NEED stories in order to work, but adding stories can—for some fans—make the ride more interesting and fun.

I get it, old-school fans were happy with the way things were. And these stories can be ridiculous and they always seem to try way too hard and “fill in” way too many “blanks.” But these days, fandoms run deep. Fans care about lore, canon, history, and world-building (see Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel, etc. etc. etc. The vast majority will indeed never even know about the backstory. But some will care about it, and they will be drawn in (as is already happening with the S.E.A. storyline in other parks).

Bloated, yes. Unnecessary, yes. But maybe fun (except for cranky people in the DL boards)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom