Jungle Cruise Update

TP2000

Okay, sure, create some characters for Jungle Cruise. IMO the attraction is long overdue for a refresh, and the recently-released artwork for the upgraded scenes actually looks pretty solid.

But Alberta Falls seems like a misfire. What is engaging or memorable about a highly competent, beautiful small business owner? Why can't she be eccentric or funny? Or a distinctive archetype, like Charlie Allnutt or Rose Sayer?

Nothing can be funny any more. I'm constantly laughing at myself and my routine misfires, and also laughing at others misfires. 🤣

But none of the people in charge of this Alberta Falls Re-Imagineering are funny, none have a sense of humor. They take all of this very, very seriously and they think the paying audience should take it seriously too. They would never dare laugh at themselves.

This is a 66 year old goofy boat ride at an amusement park that pretends to be a trip along a jungle river that in 7 minutes takes you from Africa to India to South America, right next door to a circa 1905 Midwest main street and a singing bird show sponsored by Dole Pineapple. Just consider how that might physically work to jump across three separate continents in a single boat within 7 minutes, with a joking Skipper who makes fun of the entire concept. With an overpriced hotel tiki bar at the end of the monorail that pays homage to it all. And then realize there are actually well-paid grown adults in Glendale now seriously considering how they can make such a bizarrely contrived fantasy concept "more inclusive".

Just sit and think about that for a few moments... we'll wait... 🤨

If you had tried to explain this whole concept to Walt or an Imagineer or an average housewife from 1965 they would think you were making this all up. But it's not made up. It's now our reality. And it's just... pathetic.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Nothing can be funny any more. I'm constantly laughing at myself and my routine misfires, and also laughing at others misfires. 🤣

But none of the people in charge of this Alberta Falls Re-Imagineering are funny, none have a sense of humor. They take all of this very, very seriously and they think the paying audience should take it seriously too. They would never dare laugh at themselves.

This is a 66 year old goofy boat ride at an amusement park that pretends to be a trip along a jungle river that in 7 minutes takes you from Africa to India to South America, right next door to a circa 1905 Midwest main street and a singing bird show sponsored by Dole Pineapple. Just consider how that might physically work to jump across three separate continents in a single boat within 7 minutes, with a joking Skipper who makes fun of the entire concept. With an overpriced hotel tiki bar at the end of the monorail that pays homage to it all. And then realize there are actually well-paid grown adults in Glendale now seriously considering how they can make such a bizarrely contrived fantasy concept "more inclusive".

If you had tried to explain this whole concept to Walt or an Imagineer or an average housewife from 1965 they would think you were making this all up. But it's not made up. It's now our reality. And it's just... pathetic.

This just reinforces my belief that modern WDI takes all of the wrong things seriously. I mean they just botched the biggest expansion Disneyland's had since it opened. They couldn't built a land based on Star Wars, perhaps the most beloved IP of all time properly. But they're trusted to start re imagining tried and true classics?

There's been a reliance on meta humor to add 'depth' to these attractions. Incredicoaster is plagued with it, the queue film that plays basically says how ridiculous the concept is. Mission Breakout has similar issues. Placing Rosita in Tropical Hideaway is another example.

And now the Jungle Cruise- one of the most simple and delightfully pure experiences WDI has every created is going to be dragged down by the skippers being in the ride (groan) and the 'Albert Falls' joke now has an Alberta who has a newspaper.

TP2000

Average people don't care and don't notice, because it doesn't add anything of substance. It mostly give Imagineers and super supernerds an opportunity to feel superior in their cleverness that they get all the references.

This project and it's associated charge number also gives a few Imagineering executives a chance to pay off the loan on their Tesla.

The story and the show and the CM's and the audience and the park as a whole couldn't matter less to them.

If they hired me, I would make it into a better experience. I have tons of ideas, but I'm afraid they all involve humor and nuance.

You're kind isn't wanted at WDI any more.

In fact, you need to report to HR for admitting to humor and nuance. Bring your ID badge, your parking pass, and your desk keys.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

The ironic thing is they got rid of all the African natives to push their lameass inclusive skipper story. They should’ve really worked with what was already there and given us a better African native sequence that would’ve worked with the rest of the attraction.

Californian Elitist

The ironic thing is they got rid of all the African natives to push their lameass inclusive skipper story. They should’ve really worked with what was already there and given us a better African native sequence that would’ve worked with the rest of the attraction.
Or they could have still removed the African natives and just come up with something better.

I’d argue there’s no irony because there’s no correlation between coming up with a backstory versus removing something in the name of better representation.

So good to have you actually participating and not just sarcastically laughing at posts in which you disagree with without actually contributing to the conversation.

_caleb

Perfectly stated.

Can’t seem to stop rolling my eyes at Disney. I’ll need to see an Optometrist soon. It can’t be natural for them to spend so much time back there.
You might want to consider hanging out on a different website. You know, for your own personal health.

mickEblu

You might want to consider hanging out on a different website. You know, for your own personal health.

Ok but promise me if I go that you ll learn the difference between a backstory and theme? I just couldn’t bear to leave this site thinking that someone that spends this much time here doesn’t know how to distinguish between the two.

Last edited:

_caleb

Hm? Why make this comment? There’s room both for fans who like and dislike Disney’s evolution here.
I agree there's room for everyone! It just seemed like they were not enjoying themselves (the comment was about constantly rolling their eyes at everything Disney does). I'm not trying to push anyone out, just saying that if they're not having fun, I recommend doing something else!

_caleb

Ok but promise me if I go that you ll learn the difference between a backstory and theme? I just couldn’t bear to leave this site thinking that someone that spends this much time here doesn’t know how to distinguish between the two.
I'd love to learn! Maybe you can provide some insight? Or point me to some good resources?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom