Jungle Cruise to get holiday overlay

Sped2424

BRING on THe OVERLAYS I want ghost galaxy, haunted mansion, and small world holiday. But TDO will never do that, because again that costs money. This overlay was chosen because of how minimal the change to the ride is, while it was done toned down and realistically to the ride's setting those decorations couldn't have cost more than 100 bucks if that (I am being wayyyy generous there.) Tdo chose this overlay because it was cheap.

willtravel

BRING on THe OVERLAYS I want ghost galaxy, haunted mansion, and small world holiday. But TDO will never do that, because again that costs money. This overlay was chosen because of how minimal the change to the ride is, while it was done toned down and realistically to the ride's setting those decorations couldn't have cost more than 100 bucks if that (I am being wayyyy generous there.) Tdo chose this overlay because it was cheap.
I would rather have more holiday cheer in the other parks. Epcot and AK.

TP2000

Completely unrelated, but looking at pics in that link only reinforces just how pitiful and sparse the holiday decorations at the Magic Kingdom are in comparison to Disneyland.

Dateline Disneyland has a nice update today, with both Disneyland Resort parks now at about 85% completion on their holiday décor. The season officially starts Friday the 15th in Anaheim, so they have a few more days of work left to get the rest of it up. http://micechat.com/47893-holidays-at-disneyland/

What this reminds us is that Disney's two American theme park properties, in Anaheim and Orlando, operate quite differently. Especially at Christmas.

For whatever reason, the Anaheim parks need to go very big with decorations and holiday overlays throughout both parks. While in Orlando the parks need to go with more traditional decorations on Main Street USA and the other parks various "opening act" entry areas, and then not do much of anything beyond that opening statement.

It's quite interesting to think about the whys and the financial positions behind both of these different tactics. Especially when its being run by the same company.

TP2000

I think GG and IASWH would be great for WDW. Not sure about HMH. It works great with the NO house at DL but I'm not sure it would mesh with the HM house or LS.

Actually, Tokyo Disneyland has an exact clone of WDW's Magic Kingdom Haunted Mansion house, done in the Hudson River Valley architectural style. And for the last decade Tokyo Disneyland has also done Haunted Mansion Holiday. I've ridden both Anaheim and Tokyo's Haunted Mansion Holiday, and the Tokyo version is just as fun and wonderfully done as the Anaheim version is.

If Nightmare Before Christmas can be done in Tokyo's clone of WDW's Haunted Mansion, then it can be done in the WDW original too.

I'm not sure if Tokyo got the same digital projection upgrade to the Stretch Room show that Anaheim got this year, which is AMAZING!. But the Tokyo Holiday show is close to the Anaheim show, while following the track layout cloned from WDW.

Tokyo Haunted Mansion Holiday (in a WDW cloned attraction)
speh06m08.jpg

Anaheim Haunted Mansion Holiday (in the Anaheim original)
IMG_0087.jpg

dgp602

My two cents- people always complain about how the parks used to be run so much better but refuse to see what Disney is doing currently to invest in the parks. When Universal builds more hotel space or adds a small Springfield Alien spinner, people go crazy. When Disney invests in more hotels, expanding MK with NFL, or plussing older rides with fun overlays-I get excited. I like what they are currently doing. I'm excited about Avatar. I go to the parks and have a great time.

Part of me feels sad for the people who go to the parks and complain how how the parks are now and lament about what used to be. I try to live in the now. I refuse to live in the past and cry about how things are in reality. The truth, we're not running the park. I will enjoy what is there and not complain about every little thing. And I'll be happier for it, thank you.
One of the more positive posts I have read in a long time! Bravo!!!!!:happy:

MOXOMUMD

Had one in 1963. The latest in modern celebration. It only lasted one year and was taken to the landfill. Kept the color wheel for some reason, my parents never used it again.
Our grandparents still used theirs up until a few years ago until it was officially "retired". Funny the light wheel was kept. :)

Did anyone notice what the gold aliens were used for?

eddieh

I like the fact that they stayed with period décor. The vignettes in the offices were good and holiday décor added throughout. Some skippers are wearing the burlap hats. The boat I was on had a wreath hanging on it. The jokes are cute and fit it with the spirit of the original ride.

I think it would've really bombed if they went overboard with it. All-in-all, a nice change for the holidays.

JimboJones123

I like the factanat they stayed with period décor. The vignettes in the offices were good and holiday décor added throughout. Some skippers are wearing the burlap hats. The boat I was on had a wreath hanging on it. The jokes are cute and fit it with the spirit of the original ride.

I think it would've really bombed if they went overboard with it. All-in-all, a nice change for the holidays.
I cannot understand why what was done is not enough for some and has people claiming this was "cheap"?

Again, this site comes back with b****king for b****ing's sake.

71jason

I cannot understand why what was done is not enough for some and has people claiming this was "cheap"?

I'm sure it was "cheap," but that's part of its charm. All the decor feels like jungle explorers, far from home, would have done on the fly for Christmas. In that sense it works, and I'm glad it's limited to the docking area, and not on the animals themselves.

The background loop is great--sounds like the one they used to play in the Adventurers Club (in fact, it may just be). Perfectly matches the tone and setting of the ride. The hats are great, too.

The script is a mixed bag. About half the jokes work--or can work if you have a good skipper--the other half just seemed too forced to me, not sure Right Guard Ian could even sell them. But the skippers are aware of this, are in informal discussions to weed out what doesn't work.

All in all well-done. Too much to maybe hope for a Halloween cruise next year?

backinaction

Again, I would be thrilled to volunteer free labor to decorate the sets for CBJ Christmas. The reprogramming should take less than 2 hours of engineer time.

Let's get this done.
we talked to GR about it and they said it didn't generate enough of an attendance increase to justify spending the money on it. Sounds like Disney's excuse for pretty much everything these days.

Fable McCloud

A Christmas overlay could be interesting, but I just hope it isn't TOO much. I really like Jungle Cruise, and would hate to see it getting ruined by changing things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom