Jungle Cruise Skippers VS. GMR CM's?

Choodles

Original Poster
Now these are probaly my two favorite attractions in WDW (Horizons RIP). I noticed that the Skippers are usually always great but the GMR actors are most of the time horrible.

Has anyone else noticed this?

SMS55

WIth GMR the driver is more of a narrator as you take a trip down memory lane. With Jungle Cruise the skipper can make or break the experience. I've had some good skippers and some not so good ones.

whitethunder

This past weekend I made of goal of riding at least 2 rides in each park, while I succeeded in my quest for glory...

The narrator on my GMR was so extremely awkward. There was like 6 people in the ride, and god it was bad. I couldn't look her in the eye's because I just wanted to crawl underneath my seat.

The Jungle cruises are hit or miss. Sometimes the CM's phone it in, sometimes you get the adult cruise. I laugh at the jokes either way, I love the ride and hate when people don't at least give some feedback.

bethymouse

Dead crowd on JC

I have experienced a crowd of folks on the JC that didn't even utter a chuckle!:(
Very boring!
If you don't interact w/ the skipper, they will just keep telling jokes and move through the attraction quickly. No fun!:(
GMR is OK. Sometimes the actors are great, soometimes not- it all depends!:shrug:
Either way, neither one are my favorite.:shrug:

Weather_Lady

I try to do my best to encourage them by reacting to the jokes, and to appreciate the fact that we're getting a performance from a live cast member, and not simply an automated voice. That being said, the quality of the cast member can make or break the attraction. Perhaps even cast members should be shut down for periodic refubs... ; )

Powerline

It's all about the audience. The last JC I rode had a funny skipper who really didn't go much off the casual spiel of the JC but there was this ditzy girl near the skipper who just couldn't get the "denile" joke (she said "de-isney world").

The skipper had a fun time making jokes about her and asking where they were on the cruise. It was a fun time but the audience is the secret recipe in both these rides formula's.

Buried20KLeague

I've often wondered if the "sing song-y, over the top" way that the GMR cast members speak is mandated from above. They literally ALL do it. Absolutely no one on that attraction speaks in a normal, entertaining voice.

It's got to be the way they're told they have to do it, right??? :confused:

Rowdy

If you don't interact w/ the skipper, they will just keep telling jokes and move through the attraction quickly. No fun!:(

Exactly. I always interact with them, and answer there questions loudly enough for them to have fun with it. I haven't had one yet that didn't enjoy my answers. I know it helps them enjoy their job a little more.

luv

JC.

Te only way to make the ridiculous GMR script work is for them to get really into it and most of them just don't.

The Empress Lilly

The GMR script feels a bit uneasy to work with to begin with. There's not much you can do with it, not much to improvise with, or interact with your audience with.
I had a great CM during my last ride! She was fun, without trying too hard.

The JC skipper is the traditional rockstar amongst CMs. Personally, I have never really cared all that much for the role of the skipper in JC. I could do without live narration. * hides* :lookaroun

Others:
Most important to me are the Safari guides - their role is crucial to the ride.
LwtL - I never missed the live narration once it was gone. In fact, I think the ride has become more relaxed and tranquil. An improvement, a better fit to the attraction's surroundings and theme. Plants aren't really geared towards excited live narration.

Slipknot

One thing about GMR (at least when I worked there) was that managers don't want you going off script. If you look up, there are catwalks all throughout the building and at any time, the manager on duty can listen to your spiel, at least what you say on the mic. Off mic, I'd go completely off topic if I could, especially as the Gangster/Bandit.

bethymouse

Safari

The GMR script feels a bit uneasy to work with to begin with. There's not much you can do with it, not much to improvise with, or interact with your audience with.
I had a great CM during my last ride! She was fun, without trying too hard.

The JC skipper is the traditional rockstar amongst CMs. Personally, I have never really cared all that much for the role of the skipper in JC. I could do without live narration. * hides* :lookaroun

Others:
Most important to me are the Safari guides - their role is crucial to the ride.
LwtL - I never missed the live narration once it was gone. In fact, I think the ride has become more relaxed and tranquil. An improvement, a better fit to the attraction's surroundings and theme. Plants aren't really geared towards excited live narration.
That's right! The last Safari I was on focused a lot on the animals and answering questions about them- telling us about them- educating us! That was nice.:) I always interact w/ all the CMs- they love it and it makes you and them happy! ( Another person said this and I agree).:)

wedenterprises

They are both awful, always IMO.

The two rides I desperately want to see get recorded spiels. Living on the Land is wayyyy better now because of it.

My beef(s) with the JC are 1) the motor is too loud to hear anything anyways 2) the microphone quality is terrible. 3) because of 1 and 2 you are basically being abused. 4) there is usually a CM that thinks its funny to squee and scream into the mic. 5) at the very least, the CMs just aren't funny.

joanna71985

I'm sorry, but I can't see GMR getting a recorded speil (especially because of the gangster/bandit scene). Personally, I think it would make the ride worse (just like what happened to Backlot Tour).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom