Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Funny how Disney seems to have no problem allocating money during the pandemic towards re theming of existing and popular attractions but they have to slash things like the Epcot overhaul because of the financial presure Covid has put on the Parks. I want my Yeti fix dang it.
Each chimp will have a disco ball at the ready

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
jccb20394820349820349823094.jpg
Am I the only one who has a feeling this "Animated Skipper Figure" will turn out to be The Rock and they're not telling us its him yet for whatever reason?

ohioguy

Oh, also, while we’re at it- The menu at skipper canteen is not inclusive at all. I demand that they add more vegan, gluten free, farm fresh, non-GMO, multi-gratitional and cruelty-free options.

It really hurts my feelings every time I go to the park and see these jarring problems with skipper canteen and the jungle Cruise. I just can’t believe how people are so inconsiderate towards my sensitive and fragile feelings. I guess I’m just more woke than everybody else

Why the derision and cynicism?

Kingoglow

Am I the only one who has a feeling this "Animated Skipper Figure" will turn out to be The Rock and they're not telling us its him yet for whatever reason?

I bet good money that the "animated skipper figure" will look a lot like a certain Red head from a near-by attraction.

JoeCamel

I am betting the animatronic skipper will be the only skipper. The ride will follow the lands lead and remove live action. That is the only way to insure the jokes made are all pc and nary a soul is offended.
They have to have a minder on the boat to keep the guests out of the water, cameras won't do it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1611666341134.png
1611666371066.png

So, we're getting 5 characters (from bottom up)...
The Skipper/Captain​
The Navigator/Cartographer​
The Artist​
The Butterfly Naturalist​
The Bird Naturalist​

And as one can see, the five chimps mock the five 'skippers,' each taking on their role.

So, if that is *the* Skipper/Captain, it won't be in the likeness of The Rock.

sublimesting

Dude, it’s racist AF
What exactly is racist? There were, and possibly still are, headhunting tribes in the deep jungle. It was just their warrior way of life. Is it racist because you don't like it and see it as a bad thing? I'd argue that you are imposing modern views and American society views on to how they should live and that is racist. "If you don't live by MY cultural standards then your way of life is racist AF." As for his appearance, he has a world-wide neutral skin tone and appearance and is more akin to a cartoon, so which culture should be offended? Blacks? Hispanics? Asians? Whites? Headhunters?

As for the DL version he is black and so are many tribes in jungles. There are tribes that don't follow modern culture. There were headhunting tribes. Should the native be portrayed as a white office worker in a polo shirt and khaki slacks to not be racist? I'm very liberal but sometimes there are villainous/dangerous/bad characters in the world (especially on adventure rides/movies/books...they don't all have to be white.

_caleb

What exactly is racist? There were, and possibly still are, headhunting tribes in the deep jungle. It was just their warrior way of life. Is it racist because you don't like it and see it as a bad thing? I'd argue that you are imposing modern views and American society views on to how they should live and that is racist. "If you don't live by MY cultural standards then your way of life is racist AF." As for his appearance, he has a world-wide neutral skin tone and appearance and is more akin to a cartoon, so which culture should be offended? Blacks? Hispanics? Asians? Whites? Headhunters?
The claim that some scenes in the Jungle Cruise are racist has nothing to do with the historical practice of headhunting. It’s the cartoon nature of the “funny foreign man” that Mark Davis designed. The goal with this sort of design is to say, “look how funny and primitive these savages are.”

You can see how they tried to make the animals realistic, but depicted the people as caricatures.
As for the DL version he is black and so are many tribes in jungles. There are tribes that don't follow modern culture. There were headhunting tribes. Should the native be portrayed as a white office worker in a polo shirt and khaki slacks to not be racist? I'm very liberal but sometimes there are villainous/dangerous/bad characters in the world (especially on adventure rides/movies/books...they don't all have to be white.
Think about how few people of color are depicted in the parks (especially originally). Now, consider how those people are shown. Of all the tribal jungle people, how many do you think were headhunters or warrior chiefs? If this was an honest depiction of how many people lived in the jungle, they wouldn’t prominently feature those Western audiences might find most sensational and “exotic” (which was the goal of these scenes).

sublimesting

The claim that some scenes in the Jungle Cruise are racist has nothing to do with the historical practice of headhunting. It’s the cartoon nature of the “funny foreign man” that Mark Davis designed. The goal with this sort of design is to say, “look how funny and primitive these savages are.”

You can see how they tried to make the animals realistic, but depicted the people as caricatures.

Think about how few people of color are depicted in the parks (especially originally). Now, consider how those people are shown. Of all the tribal jungle people, how many do you think were headhunters or warrior chiefs? If this was an honest depiction of how many people lived in the jungle, they wouldn’t prominently feature those Western audiences might find most sensational and “exotic” (which was the goal of these scenes).
But it's an adventure ride. No one wants to have a chat and a coffee with a fellow in the jungle, they want menace and adventure. And look at the ride overall, the white guys are depicted as or dead. All the people are depicted as caricatures. It's not an educational ride or accurate depiction. It's a wacky jungle adventure. Nearly every pirate in Pirates of the Caribbean is white, even though Pirates were actually very inclusive of all races.... actually, it's racist to not have blacks and hispanics and Asians as pirates, they should get to be included in the fun!

_caleb

Oh, also, while we’re at it- The menu at skipper canteen is not inclusive at all. I demand that they add more vegan, gluten free, farm fresh, non-GMO, multi-gratitional and cruelty-free options.
When gluten free people suffer generations of bigotry and injustice for the way they look, your comment will make sense. Otherwise, it just belittles the concerns people have about the Jungle Cruise’s racist depictions of people.
It really hurts my feelings every time I go to the park and see these jarring problems with skipper canteen and the jungle Cruise. I just can’t believe how people are so inconsiderate towards my sensitive and fragile feelings. I guess I’m just more woke than everybody else
Sensitivity to racism is not about “oh, my feelings are hurt,” but “hey, as a society, we don’t want to be the kind of people who mock and belittle others to perpetuate our own sense of superiority.“

JohnD

Well, we can be sure of one thing: As with Splash Mountain, popularity of the current version of JC will increase to ride it "one more time" before it gets refurbished. That includes me in March.

sublimesting

When gluten free people suffer generations of bigotry and injustice for the way they look, your comment will make sense. Otherwise, it just belittles the concerns people have about the Jungle Cruise’s racist depictions of people.

Sensitivity to racism is not about “oh, my feelings are hurt,” but “hey, as a society, we don’t want to be the kind of people who mock and belittle others to perpetuate our own sense of superiority.“
Not sure the headhunters of the world are clamoring for for sensitivity. Again the DW TS is not black and seems to be a very neutral race.

matt9112

I will try....

I think one overarching issue with the entire attraction would be that it is inherently about colonialism and because of its age it is overt about stereotypes that have long since been understood to be offensive. Beyond TS (which absolutely reinforces what I am about to say), the ride's main thrust is the idea that there is nothing but primitive things out in the jungles. There is no sophistication or advancement. Just animals and people who would misunderstand and attack "western explorers". It treats the people and cultures of the jungles as "oddities" vs just presenting a slapstick trip through the jungles with a delirious skipper. There is a balance there, and I think Disney is seeking to find a better one.

(I would love to see it become more satirical at the expense of the explorers. It seems like they are hinting that way. Heck, they are adding a sinking boat to a ride with a boat that recently sank!)
So can i honestly ask...is there some advanced industrial city in the jungle circa 1900s ? Parts of the world are less developed thats a fact...its a fact today as it was during the romanticized time period the ride takes place in.

sublimesting

So can i honestly ask...is there some advanced industrial city in the jungle circa 1900s ? Parts of the world are less developed thats a fact...its a fact today as it was during the romanticized time period the ride takes place in.
Also, it isn't a stereotype, there were literally headhunter tribes. The people complaining about this are trying to pigeonhole every minority into the category they see fit and safe and non-offensive. There were headhunters in jungles, especially at the turn of last century.

matt9112

So lets make the head hunters look super realistic than...look problem solved. Heres a serious foreign man that wants to have our heads on a plate. Or is that not a savage lifestyle choice? Or would you rather a sing along?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom