Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

celluloid

I hear what you are saying and implying, but, when some colorful bright striping on the the canopy of an amusement ride boat denotes something sinister as you suggest? Uhhh, NO! What you imply was not and is not there, don't see it.

I don't either, but that specific literally been brought up here before and someone stated that they were glad that the Jungle Cruise boats had rid themselves of those canopies long ago. I can't imagine going through life being that way.

Ghost93

Because they're afraid to come out and admit that they bowed to Frederick Chambers and his fans out of fear of a Disney+ boycott.
I don't think Frederick Chambers ever threatened a boycott, he just shared an idea he had. Based on his Twitter account and his podcast (which I listened to a bit shortly after the retheme was announced), I get the impression that Chambers is simply passionate about wanting the parks to be inclusive to all guests. That's not exactly a bad thing to want, lol.

You can of course disagree with Chambers on whether Splash Mountain is problematic, but he seems like a good person and doesn't deserve the hate he gets on this website.

UNCgolf

Which is kind of my point. Adventure comes in many forms and doesn’t have to be evoked through “tribal” weaponry.

I think it's partially due to the Jungle Cruise being the headlining attraction of the land, with the Enchanted Tiki Room as the secondary headliner (at least at one point). Both relied, at least to an extent, on exotic native imagery, so the signage evolved to match. While Pirates is there as well, it almost feels like a separate mini-land as opposed to something that's part of the greater Adventureland.

It just adds to the argument to eliminate the Jungle Cruise entirely and replace it with something impressive and new. There could be a new adventure ride that doesn't rely on any of those tropes whatsoever, not to mention old, superfluous animal AAs.

That's obviously not going to happen, though, considering they just spent money changing the ride.

Sir_Cliff

It just adds to the argument to eliminate the Jungle Cruise entirely and replace it with something impressive and new. There could be a new adventure ride that doesn't rely on any of those tropes whatsoever, not to mention old, superfluous animal AAs.
If I'm honest, I kind of like the Jungle Cruise. I do wonder, though, whether part of the reason DLP's Adventureland seems less problematic is that it's lacking that attraction. It still has Pirates, Indy, and the Swiss Family Robinson, but removing the Jungle Cruise does seem to change the tone. I guess the solution they have chosen at WDW and DL is to try and fix the tone of Jungle Cruise, which is reasonable.

Ghost93

I think it's partially due to the Jungle Cruise being the headlining attraction of the land, with the Enchanted Tiki Room as the secondary headliner (at least at one point). Both relied, at least to an extent, on exotic native imagery, so the signage evolved to match. While Pirates is there as well, it almost feels like a separate mini-land as opposed to something that's part of the greater Adventureland.
I think Jungle Cruise will survive at least another 15-20 years. I do think the Enchanted Tiki Room is likely to be changed or eliminated entirely. Not just because of the stereotypes, but because the whole thing feels cheesy and dated. That's part of the charm of course, but I could see Tiki room being replaced with a modern IP (because that's how things work at Disney nowadays).

celluloid

I think Jungle Cruise will survive at least another 15-20 years. I do think the Enchanted Tiki Room is likely to be changed or eliminated entirely. Not just because of the stereotypes, but because the whole thing feels cheesy and dated. That's part of the charm of course, but I could see Tiki room being replaced with a modern IP (because that's how things work at Disney nowadays).

What is sad is The Tiki Room could really be updated and be great. The concept of a room coming more and more alive around you is such an awesome basis and has a place as a relaxing more intimate show. Theme parks are still doing this in different capacities because it charms and entertains a wide audience.

UNCgolf

If I'm honest, I kind of like the Jungle Cruise. I do wonder, though, whether part of the reason DLP's Adventureland seems less problematic is that it's lacking that attraction. It still has Pirates, Indy, and the Swiss Family Robinson, but removing the Jungle Cruise does seem to change the tone. I guess the solution they have chosen at WDW and DL is to try and fix the tone of Jungle Cruise, which is reasonable.

I think I would like it more if it wasn't full of puns. I realize that's why the vast majority of people ride it now, but I find them cringeworthy and not at all entertaining. It would be hard to play it straight as is considering you can go see real versions of all the animals at another park on property, but if the whole ride was overhauled into something that was supposed to be taken a bit more seriously, it would work much better.

celluloid

I think I would like it more if it wasn't full of puns. I realize that's why the vast majority of people ride it now, but I find them cringeworthy and not at all entertaining. It would be hard to play it straight as is considering you can go see real versions of all the animals at another park on property, but if the whole ride was overhauled into something that was supposed to be taken a bit more seriously, it would work much better.

I think it is comes down to needing a balance. It is funnier to me when it takes a second to think is the skipper in character being serious and that eventually allows a good liner to go over the heads. The pacing can be off if the delivery is not good. Some care into the spiel coaching would go far. The skipper they had for the Rock and Emily Blunt's PR tour for example, was very odd. Nothing against her, but the joke in the elephant area was totally botched and the actors even brought to attention how that made no sense.

Sir_Cliff

I understand having that reaction! I'm in the camp of those who find the corniness gives the attraction its charm. Without that, I think they really would have to rip it out as the sets are too outdated to play it straight and it would need a serious overhaul to make it workable. As an aside, I find the sets around the Rivers of America more cringeworthy precisely because they treat them seriously while they all look so hokey.

UNCgolf

I understand having that reaction! I'm in the camp of those who find the corniness gives the attraction its charm. Without that, I think they really would have to rip it out as the sets are too outdated to play it straight and it would need a serious overhaul to make it workable. As an aside, I find the sets around the Rivers of America more cringeworthy precisely because they treat them seriously while they all look so hokey.

Oh yeah, I absolutely mean ripping everything out and creating a new river cruise ride. Maybe the temple could stay depending on the rest of the ride, but pretty much everything else would need to go.

But at that point, they may as well design something completely new to go there.

JoeCamel

Oh yeah, I absolutely mean ripping everything out and creating a new river cruise ride. Maybe the temple could stay depending on the rest of the ride, but pretty much everything else would need to go.

But at that point, they may as well design something completely new to go there.
Its like the argument you can go to Bora Bora for the price of the bungalows and have a better experience doing it.
People can go to AK and see all these animals for real so how about ripping it out and building fire mountain on the site with the hotel outside the park? MK gets the same amount of rides plus a themed hotel

Magenta Panther

Animals have been added to the Trader Sam gift shop scene.

Baby elephant, tug-of-war monkeys, the one taking pictures and the two playing with the phonograph are all there now.
I saw the clip at the Site That Cannot Be Named and...oh my god. Who the hell set up that baby elephant AA at the end? It looks like it's having a seizure! Jerking back and forth, spastic movements, you can hear the mechanisms...jesus christ!

Well, TDO, congrats. You've ruined another ride. Damn, but you suck!

RSoxNo1

I saw the clip at the Site That Cannot Be Named and...oh my god. Who the hell set up that baby elephant AA at the end? It looks like it's having a seizure! Jerking back and forth, spastic movements, you can hear the mechanisms...jesus christ!

Yeah that's a little jerky... the chimps are definitely better.

Little Green Men

Are you referring to the monkey sounds?

James Alucobond

We could also give them, like, a day to adjust it since they just installed it overnight, the Disneyland one doesn't move this way, and I think it's safe to say it's unintentional. These things will happen when an attraction remains open during refurb.

JoeCamel

We could also give them, like, a day to adjust it since they just installed it overnight, the Disneyland one doesn't move this way, and I think it's safe to say it's unintentional. These things will happen when an attraction remains open during refurb.
The dis of the glory days we all remember would never put a new aa on stage unless it was show ready

999th Happy Haunt

Animals have been added to the Trader Sam gift shop scene.

Baby elephant, tug-of-war monkeys, the one taking pictures and the two playing with the phonograph are all there now.
Is it me or does it look like there’s space intentionally left between the camera and the Elephant for a Trader Sam or some other animatronic? Probably wrong but just a thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom