Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Roger_the_pianist

I just saw a TikTok showing the "Chinese Laundry" facade removed from Frontierland. Not sure when it happened or which park. But it's a simple example of how if something decorative could ever be perceived as racist, it's removal doesn't change anything about the theme of the area and you no longer have the problematic material.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Hello MisterPenguin! (Appreciate your posts in this forum)

This would highly depend on the indigenous group being showcased. One of my favorite groups of people are the Maori of New Zealand. They were warriors and fought each other long before the Europeans arrived. Them being such amazing warriors was an important reason they survived so long and created what I believe was the longest war in England's history. It's unfortunate that there is very little Aus/NZ featured anywhere in Disney. They are an amazing group of people! And what happened to them and the nearby Aboriginals of Aus is horrific...

The same goes for certain tribes in Africa, South America, etc. I've heard similar stories of remote South Pacific island groups at war with each other where war becomes a key attribute of their lifestyles, unfortunately. It's really difficult to generalize when talking about indigenous people. There are some groups that would be accurately represented by weaponry and be proud of it (some of my ancestors included.)

Anywho, I'm just glad the ride is getting an update...
All true, but the national pavilions in Epcot don't display the weapons of the peoples of Europe whose ancestors were not only tribes constantly at war with one another, but who participated in two World Wars (and a whole bunch of ""conflicts"") in the past century. Imagine the Norwegian, German, Italian, UK, and American pavillions being mostly war ""memorabilia"".

Different treatment of cultures... based on... skin color?

GimpYancIent

I am guessing folks would want a sign kind of like this? Maybe?
1628397044502.png

Sharon&Susan

I just saw a TikTok showing the "Chinese Laundry" facade removed from Frontierland. Not sure when it happened or which park. But it's a simple example of how if something decorative could ever be perceived as racist, it's removal doesn't change anything about the theme of the area and you no longer have the problematic material.
Anyone have any pictures of this? Curious to see what it looks like now and a Google Search isn't helping me.

celluloid

The mission statement of Magic Kingdom is different than of EPCOT's World Showcase.

Pirates of the Caribbean sure makes many(mostly light colored skin) look like bad people.
Haunted Mansion has people dueling for eternity. (light skinned)
Tom Sawyer promotes the eneducated of a white boy's ignorance because the story calls for it.
Frontierland has weapon paraphernalia on signage.
Liberty Square's entrance has a minute man like outpost checkpoint with other references around the land.

Even in Heart of Darkness, which has the ties, it is known that there are bad sides of colonization.

Also, @GimpYancIent , that sign would not be good enough because it has been said that the striped roofs of the boat have a basis in colonization's dark past.

Incomudro

All true, but the national pavilions in Epcot don't display the weapons of the peoples of Europe whose ancestors were not only tribes constantly at war with one another, but who participated in two World Wars (and a whole bunch of ""conflicts"") in the past century. Imagine the Norwegian, German, Italian, UK, and American pavillions being mostly war ""memorabilia"".

This is Adventureland.
If we were depicting an adventurous time in many areas of Europe, we would certainly display weapons and such.

GimpYancIent

The mission statement of Magic Kingdom is different than of EPCOT's World Showcase.

Pirates of the Caribbean sure makes many(mostly light colored skin) look like bad people.
Haunted Mansion has people dueling for eternity. (light skinned)
Tom Sawyer promotes the eneducated of a white boy's ignorance because the story calls for it.
Frontierland has weapon paraphernalia on signage.
Liberty Square's entrance has a minute man like outpost checkpoint with other references around the land.

Even in Heart of Darkness, which has the ties, it is known that there are bad sides of colonization.

Also, @GimpYancIent , that sign would not be good enough because it has been said that the striped roofs of the boat have a basis in colonization's dark past.
I hear what you are saying and implying, but, when some colorful bright striping on the the canopy of an amusement ride boat denotes something sinister as you suggest? Uhhh, NO! What you imply was not and is not there, don't see it.

GimpYancIent

Like most things, Adventureland is handled very nicely at Disneyland Paris. Interestingly, off the top of my head I can't really think of anything there that would attract the sort of revisions we're seeing in the US parks.
I suggest a quick review of French colonial history in north Africa (don't have to go back too far) and the pictured entry would not look sooo well done. I like it and its different from the U.S. versions but the history revisionists will find plenty of ammunition to attack it and want to change.

LittleBuford

I suggest a quick review of French colonial history in north Africa (don't have to go back too far) and the pictured entry would not look sooo well done. I like it and its different from the U.S. versions but the history revisionists will find plenty of ammunition to attack it and want to change.
This is a fair point, though I read the gate as referring to Agrabah rather than to a North African setting. Either way, it's certainly an example of Orientalism, which makes it unavoidably problematic to a certain degree, but at least it relies on exoticism rather than violence.

Sir_Cliff

I tend to agree with LittleBuford that this is a decent point, but the the entrance at DLP is more a romantic orientalism than overly romanticising colonialism. I honestly also read it more as an Agrabah-type setting more than North Africa. The rest of the land does that to a certain extent, too, but by leaning more heavily on pirates and the Swiss Family Robinson, it doesn't really repeat the trope of dealing with dangerous natives. If the trope was threatening North Africans, the theming would read differently.

Honestly, this is an issue for the Disney Parks generally. It makes me wonder whether it isn't to some extent behind the IP mandate. The cultural climate may have turned against themed lands based on 'exotic' locales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom