Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

IMDREW

I've never seen anything from Disney that made the monorail loop a boundary between 'Worlds.' Their first maps showed Imagination and Odyssey as being part of World Celebration, and they're both beyond the loop. Their art concepts showed JoW beginning right next to SSE, within the loop.

I've never seen anything from Disney that made the monorail loop a boundary between 'Worlds.' Their first maps showed Imagination and Odyssey as being part of World Celebration, and they're both beyond the loop. Their art concepts showed JoW beginning right next to SSE, within the loop.
D5330EE1-8CF2-4D1E-AA0F-F4E24F703CB1.jpeg

I was going off of this one. Everything inside the loop seemed to be Celebration. But according to Disney’s recent statement about the neighborhoods, Moana water spectacular is in Nature. So i was wondering if they changed something in the design and made its footprint smaller. But with the inconsistency everywhere else I think not.

James Alucobond

View attachment 589935
I was going off of this one. Everything inside the loop seemed to be Celebration. But according to Disney’s recent statement about the neighborhoods, Moana water spectacular is in Nature. So i was wondering if they changed something in the design and made its footprint smaller. But with the inconsistency everywhere else I think not.
Yeah, I made this mistake earlier in the thread and assumed Journey of Water was part of Celebration as a result. Apparently, that map is just a loose representation.

Castle Cake Apologist

"Water will have a personality of its own"? How are they going to pull that off? What, will they put a hidden speaker in the pond so that it looks like the water is talking to you?

The jumping fountains at Imagination have more personality than anything Disney has built in the last 20 years, so maybe they're just going to port those over here.

Casper Gutman

Why do you keep saying this? Didn't it go vertical awhile back?

Getting major fordexploder "GALAXY'S EDGE WILL NEVER BE BUILT OR OPEN. ALL OF THAT CONSTRUCTION IS FAKE!!!11!!1" vibes here.
If it’s gone vertical, then yes, I was wrong.

But I don’t think skepticism about an oft-delayed, odd landscape improvement/ semi-attraction about which everyone, from insiders to official PR, has been notably vague, built in a strange and incongruous location without a seeming logical connection to a larger development plan is particularly misplaced. Even when it gets built, this will seem like a placeholder, something plopped on a map to fill space near the corporate tabletop (now defunct, another fact that should raise questions about Water.). It certainly isn’t akin to doubt about a huge, multi-ride expansion in a park that needed rides since opening and was based on the CEOs prize acquisition.

Castle Cake Apologist

an oft-delayed, odd landscape improvement/ semi-attraction about which everyone, from insiders to official PR, has been notably vague, built in a strange and incongruous location without a seeming logical connection to a larger development plan is particularly misplaced. Even when it gets built, this will seem like a placeholder, something plopped on a map to fill space near the corporate tabletop (now defunct, another fact that should raise questions about Water.).

You must have missed all of the Epcot redo so far, because you pretty much just summed up every piece of it.

Casper Gutman

You must have missed all of the Epcot redo so far, because you pretty much just summed up every piece of it.
Fair enough! But I can see the corporate philosophy behind GotG, Harm, Rat - IPs and a cloned ride, all of which can be promoted heavily. Even Play! makes sense as yet another attempt to use a large, empty space by shoving characters and screen-y “games” into it - very 21st century EPCOT. But Moana… you can’t promote it much, it doesn’t eat people, it doesn’t sell merchandise in a sterile room, but it still costs money… it seems like a glorified landscaping improvement. I guess I just don’t see the Chapek logic here.

James Alucobond

Fair enough! But I can see the corporate philosophy behind GotG, Harm, Rat - IPs and a cloned ride, all of which can be promoted heavily. Even Play! makes sense as yet another attempt to use a large, empty space by shoving characters and screen-y “games” into it - very 21st century EPCOT. But Moana… you can’t promote it much, it doesn’t eat people, it doesn’t sell merchandise in a sterile room, but it still costs money… it seems like a glorified landscaping improvement. I guess I just don’t see the Chapek logic here.
Just continuing the weird tradition of having a fountain that honors a separate section of the park oddly plunked in the middle. It was always weird that the Fountain of Nations was in Future World instead of the World Showcase, so why not have a World Nature fountain inside of what should be World Celebration? I do wish the "table" was part of, like, a series of two or three tables like the "petals" from the original plans for EPCOT and that water flowed over the edges of them onto each other and then down into Journey of Water. Would make it really feel like the left was more industrial and the right more natural on entry into the heart of the park.

Castle Cake Apologist

Just continuing the weird tradition of having a fountain that honors a separate section of the park oddly plunked in the middle. It was always weird that the Fountain of Nations was in Future World instead of the World Showcase, so why not have a World Nature fountain inside of what should be World Celebration? I do wish the "table" was part of, like, a series of two or three tables like the "petals" from the original plans for EPCOT and that water flowed over the edges of them onto each other and then down into Journey of Water. Would make it really feel like the left was more industrial and the right more natural on entry into the heart of the park.

It's not a good sign when forum members can Imagineer better than Imagineering.

Gran Fiesta

I'm assuming (hopefully) this is Disney's last priority to get opened right? I feel Like Guardians and Tron are more of the forefront priorities. Honestly, I'll be more excited when the walls come down in Epcot for the attraction's opening than the actual attraction itself.

With that being said, has Disney even eluded an opening date for this yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom