Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Bocabear

I neglected to mention that an adult also has her hand in the water? Because I have a bias against anything that appeals to kids? lol
I have a bias against Meet & Greets replacing actual rides... I have a bias against Meet & Greets taking budget that could have built an attraction that would appeal to Adults and Children both. I have a bias against shuttering attractions without update or refurbishment to save a dollar. as clearly the prices continue to increase. I have a bias against removing and watering down theme in different areas...but, no I don't have a bias against anything kids like... unless you as the arbiter for children say that kids only like Meet & Greets and Splash pads replacing real actual attraction...

doctornick

Just to be clear, this is a "splash pad"

1623432253752.png

This is not:
1623432354913.png

Sure, might there be some element where you put your hand in water? Seems like it. It would be exceeding odd to call it a splash pad or water play area though on that basis. Was the old giant fountain in the Polynesian lobby a water play area too? Because that's basically what JoW will be similar to.

Chupaca Bruh

This is the kind of addition that Disney use to just put up a fence and build without an announcement and it would, generally, be a nice addition. I love rocks and waterfalls / water features so I am sure it will be pretty, enjoyable and nice. But it is not something they really should have promoted, particularly in light of the removal of the Communicor building.

Bocabear

The old waterfall at the Poly did not have a place to stick your hand in the water...nor did it have leapfrog fountains
This was the only image of the Moana Journey Of Water that didn't include water play elements...
I completely understand that some of the elements will just be set pieces... But having a nice waterfall set piece still doesn't make it seem to fit as the first thing you see entering EPCOT...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just to be clear, this is a "splash pad"

View attachment 563334

This is not:
View attachment 563335

Sure, might there be some element where you put your hand in water? Seems like it. It would be exceeding odd to call it a splash pad or water play area though on that basis. Was the old giant fountain in the Polynesian lobby a water play area too? Because that's basically what JoW will be similar to.
Post the bottom photo. Then a photo of imaginations fountain garden. You know, the cute diversion dressing at the exit to a theatre that once showed epic, suitable material? That would be a better match.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The old waterfall at the Poly did not have a place to stick your hand in the water...nor did it have leapfrog fountains
This was the only image of the Moana Journey Of Water that didn't include water play elements...
I completely understand that some of the elements will just be set pieces... But having a nice waterfall set piece still doesn't make it seem to fit as the first thing you see entering EPCOT...

SPLASHPAD...

People play in a splash pad and get soaking wet. It's a pool with zero depth. It's like running under the sprinkler.

NOT A SPLASHPAD...

1623435252026.png

1623435351482.png

1623436333824.png

1623436359703.png

splash.gif

1623436602408.png

1623436659439.png

1623436837616.png

1623436884876.png

1623436911596.png

TikibirdLand

SPLASHPAD...

People play in a splash pad and get soaking wet. It's a pool with zero depth. It's like running under the sprinkler.

NOT A SPLASHPAD...

View attachment 563346

View attachment 563347

View attachment 563348

View attachment 563349

View attachment 563350

View attachment 563351

View attachment 563352

View attachment 563353

View attachment 563354

View attachment 563355

I'd say, you're not a proper child if you can't make some of these into splash pads. I know my three could have!

Seriously, we had a really good fountain in The Fountain of Nations. It was beautiful; it had synchronized movement to wonderful music; and, if you were a kid, you could play in it until a CM caught you. I'm not sure I could get away with that last part!

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Seriously, we had a really good fountain in The Fountain of Nations. It was beautiful; it had synchronized movement to wonderful music; and, if you were a kid, you could play in it until a CM caught you. I'm not sure I could get away with that last part!
Look the reason disney had to knock down a perfectly good water feature and build a brand new different water feature 250 feet away is

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Look the reason disney had to knock down a perfectly good water feature and build a brand new different water feature 250 feet away is
A show fountain is also in the works to sit in the middle of the hub. It should be better than FoN simply because it's newer.

We're getting two water features in place of the one (plus the upgraded entrance fountain, plus the daytime fountains in the lagoon).

doctornick

A show fountain is also in the works to sit in the middle of the hub. It should be better than FoN simply because it's newer.

Is it? I don't recall hearing that, but that's good if true.

I'd also point out that while JoW might not be that far away from where FoN was, it certainly is in a different area. With Disney being committed to the new "sections" of FW, it will be something that helps to demarcate and expand on World Nature.

jt04

A Fastpass for whatever this is, and it will be as popular as FoP? Fonzie has jumped the shark.

Fastpass was a joke. Sort of. I expect people will linger creating backups.

Not as popular as Padora because apples/oranges. But similarly exceeding the low bar some have is an apt anology.

😎

GimpYancIent

We're getting two water features in place of the one (plus the upgraded entrance fountain, plus the daytime fountains in the lagoon).
Newer does not equal better, two in place of one OK, but, daytime fountains in the Lagoon 😄 Nah more like just exposed hardware squirting water.

Bocabear

The Entrance fountain was just a restoration of the original feature that was removed because they didn't want to spend the money to refurbish it years ago... Sort of an object lesson for what could come in 10 years...
Would "Fountain Play Area" be a better descriptor for the interactive fountains water feature area based on a Polynesian cartoon character that makes no sense in the front entry of this particular park?...
I love the idea for this Fountain Play Area, but I think it should be somewhere else, and not the first thing you see after passing Spaceship Earth...

James Alucobond

Would "Fountain Play Area" be a better descriptor for the interactive fountains water feature area based on a Polynesian cartoon character that makes no sense in the front entry of this particular park?...
Would you describe the leaping fountains as a "fountain play area"? The interactive water features in Pandora? Then sure, call it whatever you like. I think the others were simply pointing out that a splash pad is something specific and that you seem awfully fixated on using language that infantilizes and denigrates the attraction before much is even known about it. Your constant mention of the fact that the "sponsoring" IP is a cartoon when, as far as we've seen, none of the characters make an overt appearance has similar undertones.

As for whether it's appropriate at the entrance, I don't recall Innoventions having a particularly serious, hands-off, or adult tone, though obviously the fact that it was enclosed only exposed you to the signage at first.

jt04

My belief that FoN was removed and paths widened were a necessary crowd control measure keeps getting clearer. For those wanting more attractions and WS content, this was necessary. You can't always have an 'all the above' solution.

Plus it was always overrated. ⛲

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom