Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Little Green Men

A Polynesian Cartoon themed water play/fountain area doesn't seem to gel with the interior plaza right after passing under Spaceship Earth....no... I am pretty certain that would work nicely somewhere else....but feels discordant for that area
It’s a bridge between world celebration and world nature and leads to the Seas pavilions yes, fits just fine.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It’s a bridge between world celebration and world nature and leads to the Seas pavilions yes, fits just fine.

It fits like a square peg in a round hole where it is, probably because the Bob’s have one tool in their toolbox - A hammer.

Want to know where it would actually fit? In the spot between The Land and The Living Seas. Or Adventureland. Or DAK.

jt04

Try looking at a map.

I think we are only seeing the preliminary aspects of phase 1 of the Disney Nature portion of the 3 section reimagining of Future World. The soon to be new configuration of the front half of Epcot will have 3 neighborhoods as part of approximately 50% of the theme park.

Basic math really. 📲

Sir_Cliff

Yeah, I mean... I'm not a fan of this concept in several ways (even though I do like the idea of nice landscaping and water features -- it's just that something more in line with what EPCOT originally had would be a lot better), but I don't get calling it a splash pad or children's play area. The concept art doesn't look anything like that.
This sums up perfectly how I feel about the addition. There's a lot about it that I generally like, but not keen on its placement and yet another IP tie-in.

That said, I do see a world in which this turns out being ok. If the Moana theming is kept relatively subtle and they try and make it educational about the water cycle through signs, etc., I could see it fitting Epcot a lot better than many of us are imagining. I don't think, for example, it is that weird for science museums to license child friendly IPs like Moana as the spoon full of sugar in educational displays about topics like this. Placing a display about the water cycle by The Living Seas and The Land also makes sense.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That would just be another dumb misuse of an expansion plot, which is a common theme of the EPCOT overhaul. At least this one would be easier to remove than the big blue box.
Exactly. That plot would at least be a fit for whatever this thing is, but still a misuse of the plot (misuse and misguided thinking under Iger/Chapek? Shocking!!!) But this would be a great fit for… everyone say it with me - Animal Kingdom!

jt04

Why does the footing to this new structure look like a reconstruction of the Communicore building stairway? Looks like there building on the footing of it as well and same shape.

I don't think they removed all of the previous foundations so they may be utilizing them here. Just guessing.

ppete1975

So it is not a fountain or a splash pad....but no one can actually define what it is.... The concept art shows it as a fountain and a splash pad with no railings or barriers...and is clearly not what it will actually look like.
So what the heck is this thing? Aside from not fitting the style of the park in any way whatsoever, is it A path with waterfalls and leapfrog fountains... a pavilion with a show about how water recycles? No one seems to know...
a choke point.... a path made into basically an exhibit (prob high touch). So you will have tons of people just stop and look take pics and selfies add in stollers and ecvs. Now you can say that about alot of disney (especially now) but they dont build stuff like this in a natural pathway. Im equating this experience to parts of animal kingdom with lots or nature and not alot of walking area in sections... now add in an IP and high touch points and more places for selfies....

i assume the tourists will naturally try to cut through this as they can see where they want to go... and the people who frequent epcot will know alternate paths. I could be completely wrong and disney might put an entrance exit to it and cut down on some of that... but if its just things on the side of walkway this is bad placement.

doctornick

a choke point.... a path made into basically an exhibit (prob high touch). So you will have tons of people just stop and look take pics and selfies add in stollers and ecvs. Now you can say that about alot of disney (especially now) but they dont build stuff like this in a natural pathway. Im equating this experience to parts of animal kingdom with lots or nature and not alot of walking area in sections... now add in an IP and high touch points and more places for selfies....

i assume the tourists will naturally try to cut through this as they can see where they want to go... and the people who frequent epcot will know alternate paths. I could be completely wrong and disney might put an entrance exit to it and cut down on some of that... but if its just things on the side of walkway this is bad placement.

Correct me if I am wrong, but currently (or historically) there really is no direct path from the center of the Epcot Hub to the Seas - you had to go towards the Land and then cut north. That pathway will still be there. JoW creates a new pathway from the central location more directly towards the Seas. So, at worse, it's providing more guest pathways space.

But you are also assuming they only pathway this direction will be by going through JoW. I'd be surprised if they didn't also have a regular bypassing pathway that goes around it.

Goofy Ninja

Is there anyway we can petition for them not to do this? Moana doesn't belong in Epcot at all. Maybe we should say we are offended in someway. That seems like the new way of getting rid of something.

"My great great grandfather drowned in water. ... Well it was either that or the fall... into the well."

James Alucobond

Is there anyway we can petition for them not to do this? Moana doesn't belong in Epcot at all. Maybe we should say we are offended in someway. That seems like the new way of getting rid of something.

"My great great grandfather drowned in water. ... Well it was either that or the fall... into the well."
I honestly don't see why not. This is lightly themed and therefore will not necessarily preclude Moana from getting an actual attraction in another park, and there's really no functional difference between this and "The Seas with Nemo and Friends" or even "Test Track brought to you by Chevrolet".

ppete1975

Those foundations are also the roof of the utilidors below, so they will remain as-is. They are adding to the utilidors too, for example, two new rooms to hold the Moana pumps and computers.
how accurate is this now?
1623340200876.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom