Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

osian

I can explain this by replacing your use of the word "are" between Epcot and "human achievements" with the word "was" in your post.
Oh, have they replaced the aims? I must have missed this. Could you point me towards what Disney have said about it? Could you explain what it "is" now, if it's no longer that? Is it about edutainment now, as everyone keeps mentioning it.

As I said, Disney is homogenising its parks. But probably hasn't declared it in so many words.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

That fits any of the parks, Disney has always done cute, fun, edutainment, nature and science. Everywhere. In parks. On TV. In movies. It's not something that singles ECPOT out specifically. EPCOT isn't the sole home of edutainment.

The unique things about EPCOT are "human achievements", "wonders of enterprise", "man's ability to shape a world that offers hope". Could you explain where these elements are within JoW?

Disney is homogenising its parks, and indeed its resorts. Detheming the unique aspects, the same sort of content across all areas, with maybe a slight flavour added of the original ideas, but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in many cases. Given that, perhaps we could indeed say that JoW fits into EPCOT. It actually fits anywhere.
The phrase Detheming the unique is hard to swallow.

osian

Let’s be real, even old-school EPCOT included fun edutainment that had little to do with celebrating humankind’s great achievements. Kitchen Kabaret, anyone?
I never experienced Kitchen Kabaret, but from what I know of it I think I see it as part of the whole symbiosis thing, the theme of the Land Pavilion, as inscribed on the plaque outside. We work in harmony with the land in a sustainable way to cultivate the food and nutrients we need. Kitchen Kabaret explains why. Listen To The Land explains how. Then go and eat the food in the restaurant! It was a really cohesive thing I thought, and totally on-theme with the subject of human interaction with the world in order to secure our future.

If JoW explained how we can harness the power of water or how we can develop systems for communities that don't have easy access to drinkable water, that sort of thing, or was even part of a larger more cohesive exposition like The Land, it would have been more fitting. Maybe more integrated with The Seas, but the cohesive nature of the Seas Pavilion has been diluted and melted away too so each individual attraction there would seem disjointed with no connection between them. On reflection, a rainwater attraction probably belongs more with the original Land premise. But at the end of the day it isn't such a grand thing. It's a splash pad.

KK wasn't a detached thing, outside of The Land and out of context.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I never experienced Kitchen Kabaret, but from what I know of it I think I see it as part of the whole symbiosis thing, the theme of the Land Pavilion, as inscribed on the plaque outside. We work in harmony with the land in a sustainable way to cultivate the food and nutrients we need. Kitchen Kabaret explains why. Listen To The Land explains how. Then go and eat the food in the restaurant! It was a really cohesive thing I thought, and totally on-theme with the subject of human interaction with the world in order to secure our future.

If JoW explained how we can harness the power of water or how we can develop systems for communities that don't have easy access to drinkable water, that sort of thing, or was even part of a larger more cohesive exposition like The Land, it would have been more fitting. Maybe more integrated with The Seas, but the cohesive nature of the Seas Pavilion has been diluted and melted away too so each individual attraction there would seem disjointed with no connection between them. On reflection, a rainwater attraction probably belongs more with the original Land premise. But at the end of the day it isn't such a grand thing. It's a splash pad.

KK wasn't a detached thing, outside of The Land and out of context.

Food for thought.
It was all connected -- first how we work with the land ("Symbiosis") followed by how we use the Land ("Living With The Land") and then the harvest the land brings to us ("Food Rocks/Kitchen Cabaret") and why it all works together. Now, of course, it's all jumbled.

Tony the Tigger

That fits any of the parks, Disney has always done cute, fun, edutainment, nature and science. Everywhere. In parks. On TV. In movies. It's not something that singles ECPOT out specifically. EPCOT isn't the sole home of edutainment.

The unique things about EPCOT are "human achievements", "wonders of enterprise", "man's ability to shape a world that offers hope". Could you explain where these elements are within JoW?

Disney is homogenising its parks, and indeed its resorts. Detheming the unique aspects, the same sort of content across all areas, with maybe a slight flavour added of the original ideas, but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in many cases. Given that, perhaps we could indeed say that JoW fits into EPCOT. It actually fits anywhere.

You’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good (and that’s generously assuming your wants are “the perfect.”) That’s pointless, especially in business. In business, we make “better” “compromise” decisions all the time because there are real life contributing factors that compete with the ideal solution.

Incomudro

Oh, have they replaced the aims? I must have missed this. Could you point me towards what Disney have said about it? Could you explain what it "is" now, if it's no longer that? Is it about edutainment now, as everyone keeps mentioning it.
I don't need to read Disney's exact language (if it exists) on what their aims for Epcot are, I can see what their aims are in their work.
And no, I can't really explain what it is now aside from some modern, thingy with some space and nature worked in.
But my point is it isn't what it was anymore.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

It's not being mad that they built it, but disappointed that it does not thematically fit with anything around it...and would make more sense in say Animal Kingdom or Adventureland... Parks areas that feel like similar settings...
Perhaps if Elemental was a better box office draw the idea of elements of water, fire, earth and Air they could have done something...

Cmdr_Crimson

Nah they would probably value engineer whatever they were going to do down to a sad meet and greet in the back corner of the old magic eye theater....
Yeah, although they got more of the science-esque vibe of Epcot..
1180w-600h_060923_elemental-premiere_02.jpg

Haymarket2008

I got to experience this for the first time this week.

It’s lovely. Well designed and entertaining. And I appreciate that the Moana IP is really just fine print on the experience.

That being said…unless you are actively reading the plaques you are getting not much out of the water cycle angle. Which makes the experience not very successful as a component of this “worlds fair” we are all taking part in.

This would have been better situated in between The Land & Seas. It is terribly located. It’s just….there.

TrainsOfDisney

Over analyzing where things “better belong” is tiresome. When you open your own theme park, you can make those decisions.
It’s a discussion board about Disney parks…. It’s discussing the parks.

It’s a really odd fit currently… but a great walk-through attraction. Seems they could have spent that money to update the dancing fountains at figment and had lots of money leftover to at least add a dreamfinder AA to the ride!

Bocabear

It’s a discussion board about Disney parks…. It’s discussing the parks.

It’s a really odd fit currently… but a great walk-through attraction. Seems they could have spent that money to update the dancing fountains at figment and had lots of money leftover to at least add a dreamfinder AA to the ride!
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom