Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Figments Friend

I was able to experience this yesterday, and in all honestly I really liked the area.
It’s honestly a beautiful space…and very lush.
I will say however that it felt much smaller in scale then I thought it would be, but the water effects and greenery work on the grounds is very nicely done.

I have stated in the past that I strongly felt that this area really didn’t belong in Epcot…and should have been built over at DAK instead.
I still hold that opinion, but this is a nice little spot to cool off and have some fun with the interactive water effects.
Kids are going to really like this space I think.

And I LOVE the background music for this area!
Instrumental versions of songs from the ‘Moana’ film, but with heavy use of native percussion.
Really great sound set up too….sounded fabulous and I noticed it right away once entering the space.
This is a heavily musical experience.
Can’t wait for the 10 hour loop to show up on YouTube soon…..if it is not already there!

-

Last edited:

Phicinfan

I don't have the energy to research what you think you saw... my posts are here to see.
Whatever
Theme parks are more than just 'is it cute or fun?'
Yes, and everyone here that is all for old Epcot are missing this is well done and edjutainment like old Epcot. Not everything has to be a top ride, experiences that are fun and educational are important as well
Then I would have connected it in some fashion to the massive honkin pavilions around it... the one about the land, and the one about the sea. Instead... we get rando Polynesian side-bar here. With little connectivity between it and the area it is surrounded by. Like a mall kiosk.
Main entrance and exit are directly toward Seas and Land. Its perfectly fine where it is, vs. empty building they weren't using.
Enjoy your bone...

I'd rather see this kind of massive investment into something of better substance.. and scale down this 'journey of water' into the small display it should have been. Instead of spending tens of millions on this, build this small and do something of interest.
Again, you know the cost? Want to share?
Again, theme parks don't exist ONLY on rides.
I was there last week, could not get in, but got to look all around it and it is absolutely beautiful, and well done IMO.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, theme parks don't exist ONLY on rides.
Never said they did... but you should RIGHT SIZE things. No one wants a WoD sized gift shop at every ride exit, no matter how nice it is or looks.. that doesn't mean you don't think gift shops are nice or needed, but DO IT RIGHT.

I don't think this was a good application of resources for what it is. Way over built, disjointed, and ultimately going to be praised for a spot to cool off on hot days and otherwise ignored by repeat visitors.. unless you have children under 10. Yes we need things for those audiences... just RIGHT SIZE THEM and put them where it makes sense.

This is going to the long standing wart from this aborted EPCOT re-design flop.

Phicinfan

Never said they did... but you should RIGHT SIZE things. No one wants a WoD sized gift shop at every ride exit, no matter how nice it is or looks.. that doesn't mean you don't think gift shops are nice or needed, but DO IT RIGHT.

I don't think this was a good application of resources for what it is. Way over built, disjointed, and ultimately going to be praised for a spot to cool off on hot days and otherwise ignored by repeat visitors.. unless you have children under 10. Yes we need things for those audiences... just RIGHT SIZE THEM and put them where it makes sense.

This is going to the long standing wart from this aborted EPCOT re-design flop.
I happen to think this is the best part of the revamp, but opinions are just that.

As for right sized, how much space does a walk through attraction that covers the circle of the water cycle deserve? It isn't that large, and IMO it has been very well done.

Corylancaster

So what are the chances this will be soft open the week before it officially opens? We will be there the week before and my kid absolutely loves Moana so I’m kinda bummed we will be missing this by one week
Quoting myself to move this up since it got lost on previous pages. Anybody have any thoughts on if there will be a soft opening for regular guests the week before this officially opens?

Incomudro

I happen to think this is the best part of the revamp, but opinions are just that.

As for right sized, how much space does a walk through attraction that covers the circle of the water cycle deserve? It isn't that large, and IMO it has been very well done.
I'll take this over anything they could have put in the building that used to be at this location.

pdude81

Quoting myself to move this up since it got lost on previous pages. Anybody have any thoughts on if there will be a soft opening for regular guests the week before this officially opens?
I think this is a reasonable question. Often they will soft open attractions in the days leading up to official opening. And the DVC/AP previews are a solid month before the opening date.

I'd hope they will but personally have no idea. I went on Minion Blast about 5x before they even started with the AP previews there. However, they waited on the official previews for that until much closer to the official opening.

Disstevefan1

I think this is a reasonable question. Often they will soft open attractions in the days leading up to official opening. And the DVC/AP previews are a solid month before the opening date.

I'd hope they will but personally have no idea. I went on Minion Blast about 5x before they even started with the AP previews there. However, they waited on the official previews for that until much closer to the official opening.
They may soft open it unannounced for a few hours here and there and if you are around you may get in maybe? I remember they did that for SSE a million years ago.

Incomudro

They may soft open it unannounced for a few hours here and there and if you are around you may get in maybe? I remember they did that for SSE a million years ago.
They did a similar thing at Star Tours when is was redone years ago.
Cast members were manning the rope, and sort of snuck guests in a little at a time.
We (my wife and son's who were maybe 10 at the time) hung around and made the cut.

Corylancaster

I feel like I can remember threads in years past about random openings like that for other newer attractions at HS? Hopefully they will do that for this one too since they are already do the other previews...

DisneyFanatic12

I just experienced Journey of Water tonight, and it’s what you make of it. I went in excited to experience it, and guess what? I really enjoyed it. The lighting package was beautiful, and honestly, I could barely tell it was Moana until the end of the attraction.

Sure, if you’re looking for Moana, it is there, but if you want to read the signs, which most CMs did, the attraction was the water cycle first and foremost. It’s a beautiful area, and while it doesn’t fit in the best right now, it will once World Celebration opens filled with trees.

Just like anything else, if you go into it looking for issues, nothing is going to be a great experience. Sure, it has its flaws, but to me, it felt like a great expansion to the Seas pavilion.

DisneyFanatic12

I feel like I can remember threads in years past about random openings like that for other newer attractions at HS? Hopefully they will do that for this one too since they are already do the other previews...
I remember when Toy Story Land randomly opened one night! We saw it all lit up on ToT and got on Slinky Dog Dash at a 20 minute wait! I like the previews, but I will always miss the random soft openings. Cavalcades were the best when they were “random”. Completely unexpected, and while they are not on par with a normal parade, they felt more magical.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Figments Friend

Visited this area again with a CM friend yesterday.
Second time through, and it is a nice spot.

A few pictures I snapped while strolling around…

IMG_2090.jpeg
IMG_2092.jpeg

MagicHappens1971

I'm wondering if they'll replace Moana M&G at DAK. I feel like for the most part outside of Mickey & Co. they don't have the other characters meeting in multiple places. Then again Buzz does meet at MK & DHS.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I have to say as nice as this looks I’m very underwhelmed by this. It looks like a flat version of the overlook area at Typhoon Lagoon. Heck this would have been a good thing to replace the shark wreath area with. Doesn’t seem secluded enough either like it should have been tucked away between the land and the seas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom